Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Heidfeld released by Mercedes to join Pirelli

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Heidfeld released by Mercedes to join Pirelli

slow news day...

Heidfeld released by Mercedes to join Pirelli - GPUpdate.net

Nick Heidfeld will join the Pirelli development team in order to prepare the Formula 1 tyres for next season. Mercedes Grand Prix confirmed on Tuesday morning the team's test and reserve driver was released from his contract to take up the position of official test driver for Pirelli.

Italian tyre manufacturer Pirelli is currently preparing for its return to Formula 1 and in order to start testing next year's tyres the company needed to sign up an experienced driver to develop its tyres.

Speaking about the team's decision to part company with Nick Heidfeld team boss Ross Brawn said: “We can confirm that the team is pleased to allow Nick Heidfeld the opportunity to join Pirelli and contribute to their development work for the company's imminent return to Formula One.

“Nick is an extremely experienced driver and we are confident that his racing knowledge and technical feedback will prove extremely useful to Pirelli and therefore of benefit to the sport as a whole. Nick has been a real asset to Mercedes Grand Prix since joining our team this year and we are pleased to see his career progressing.”

Heidfeld was pleased with Mercedes' decision to release him from his contract. “First of all I would like to thank Ross Brawn, Norbert Haug and Nick Fry for allowing me the opportunity to become Pirelli's official test driver,” Heidfeld said. “The team has always said that they would not stand in my way if such a chance arose and they have kindly allowed me to take up this exciting new role. I would like to thank everyone at Mercedes Grand Prix for the great cooperation that we have had this year.

“I have greatly enjoyed supporting the team in my position as Reserve Driver and have felt welcome right from the outset. It was impressive to have the opportunity to work with the current World Champions and I wish the team all the best for the remainder of the season and beyond.”

Nick Heidfeld was announced as Pirelli's official test driver on Tuesday as the Italian tyre manufacturer prepares for its return to Formula 1 for the first time in 20 years. The experience F1 driver is looking forward to get back on track again and work on the development of the new Pirelli Pzero F1 tyre.

Nick Heidfeld will use Toyota's Formula One car from last year, the TF109, to test the new rubber that all the teams will use from 2011 onwards.

The Toyota TF109 was the last Formula One car produced by the Japanese manufacturer before it withdrew at the end of 2009 after scoring five podium finishes in its final season. As such the Toyota provides contemporary technology and performance with which to test the new Pirelli PZero Formula One tyres to the limit, but does not hand an advantage to any current team.

Heidfeld will drive the car in a series of test sessions on several different circuits from August onwards. The tyre development work will focus on finding the delicate compromise needed between performance, durability and spectacle next season.

Heidfeld said about his upcoming challenge: “It's a great privilege for me to join Pirelli in order to carry out this vital work and I am very grateful to Mercedes Grand Prix for releasing me from my contract to take on this role. Through the experience I have built up over the years, I'm confident that I will be able to provide Pirelli with some important feedback regarding the development of next year's tyres.

“I've got a lot to give but I haven't been driving so much this year, so it is good to get started! Together, I'm sure that we can create a dynamic range of tyres that will make Formula One an even more exciting sport in the future.”

Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Nick really deserved a full-time seat this year, imo. I think he'd have done better than Schumi if he had his spot.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:19 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
lol doubtful

Old 08-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Nick really deserved a full-time seat this year, imo. I think he'd have done better than Schumi if he had his spot.
Maybe that mountain air did a little too much for you.

He's a great driver, don't get me wrong, but I think he'd be a little bit more off performance than Schumey.