Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

McLaren to keep close eye on Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
McLaren to keep close eye on Ferrari

From PlanetF1.com:

McLaren's engineering director Paddy Lowe admits the team are "concerned" about Ferrari following their adoption of the low-mounted exhaust system.

Red Bull were the first team to introduce the configuration and many believe their success this season is down to the device.

Ferrari confirmed this week that the F10 will sport major updates at the European Grand Prix, including a new configuration for the exhaust system.

Lowe says they will keep a watchful eye on Ferrari at Valencia this weekend.

"That is a concern. I think we'll have to see how they get on with it," Lowe said during a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes phone-in teleconference It's a shame that some others have been slightly quicker than we were getting it, but we are where we are. I think we'll have to do what we can and see.

"It all depends at each circuit on how the different characteristics suit some cars and not others. For instance Ferrari really struggled in Turkey. I can't predict where they'll end up any more really than I can predict where we'll end up."

McLaren are pressing ahead with their plans to introduce their version of blown rear end concept at Silverstone next month.

"It's quite a significant performance step," Lowe said. "That's something we're aiming to bring to the British Grand Prix and to try and make it work from the outset.

"There are some technical challenges with it, especially blasting your bodywork directly with exhaust flow can generate some particularly high temperatures. It's not without challenges to hit the ground running with a system like that when we don't have any proper track testing.

"We'll be doing trials at an aerodynamic day before Silverstone to hopefully have it working in the practice sessions and race."

Meanwhile, Red Bull's decision to use the F-duct at Valencia isn't giving Lowe restless nights.

"We'll see what they do," he added. "They brought it to Turkey and ran it on the Friday, but then bailed out of it for the rest of the weekend. This is their second attempt and it's a system that is not without challenges to get it to work in a way where you're net positive on performance. But I don't know how well they are going to do or not do.

"It's not a huge concern for us; we expected teams to be playing catch up with us, just as we're emulating the [Red Bull] exhaust. So when Red Bull gets it [the F-duct] to work we are ready to face that."