Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Michelin Will Not Return To F1 As Sole Tire Sponsor

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Michelin Will Not Return To F1 As Sole Tire Sponsor

I guess the tire wars will begin again.

Source: Michelin won't return as sole supplier | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
DAMN Michelin I don't want 18" wheels instead of 13" and I don't want another tire manufacturer we have enough variables at play don't make the tires one of them again

Old 04-13-2010, 05:39 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
The amazing thing is that just a few years ago any tire manufacturer would have fought tooth and nail for an exclusive deal with F1.

Why the fall from grace??

Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 AM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Well, F1 is screwed.

Nobody other than Michelin is in a position to supply F1 and they threw all their chips into Michelins basket.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
I want to know about the Pilot 3's

Old 04-14-2010, 12:15 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
quattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by like.no.other
DAMN Michelin I don't want 18" wheels instead of 13" and I don't want another tire manufacturer we have enough variables at play don't make the tires one of them again
I like the idea of F1 using a tyre that is closer to the real world. I also like the addition of another variable, especially with fuel strategies taken out of the mix.

Michelin got their ass kicked well and truly by Bridgestone and during the years of Ferrari dominance. I guess they don't want to come back unless they get a chance to prove themselves against someone else. Also, there is bound to be commercial benefit with more than one supplier to keep the FOA/FIA/FOM honest.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:16 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
helothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by bonehead
I want to know about the Pilot 3's
PS3's are the new tires coming out ("came out" in some parts of the world already) from Michelin, replacing the current PS2s.

it is said to have around 300~ treadwear rating but have as much grip as PS2 does at least.

i believe they are the OEM tyre for the new e63 amg. (tirerack only has one size at the moment)
so basically it is PS2 with longer tread life.

hope this helps little bit

Old 04-14-2010, 05:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quattro joe
I like the idea of F1 using a tyre that is closer to the real world. I also like the addition of another variable, especially with fuel strategies taken out of the mix.

Michelin got their ass kicked well and truly by Bridgestone and during the years of Ferrari dominance. I guess they don't want to come back unless they get a chance to prove themselves against someone else. Also, there is bound to be commercial benefit with more than one supplier to keep the FOA/FIA/FOM honest.
I started following F1 regularly since 2002 and from 02-06 there were some circuits that suited the Michelin's and some that suited the Bridgstone's. That resulted an unfair advantage for the Michelin teams on Michelin venues and vica versa . So the way I see it the less varibles the better keep it down to driver skill as much as possible and regarding the switch to 18"s the 13"s are better performers and F1 has always been about function over form I'd hate to see that reversed

Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
i, for one, welcome another tire war. who knows, we may end up with a korean manufacturer in the mix. kumho is already in F3 euroseries.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:15 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
^^^^

As i said, nobody can produce the required tyres for next year other than Michelin, barring a miracle. Nobody is tooled up to do it.