Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

2010 Korean GP Could be called off - Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010 | 03:25 AM
|
Teamspeed Pro
B4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond reputeB4rad has a reputation beyond repute
2010 Korean GP Could be called off - Report

The inaugural Korean grand prix could be called off, according to a report in the German media.

The news magazine Focus says the circuit under construction in Yeongam, about 400 kilometres south of the capital Seoul, may not be completed by the time of its scheduled debut race this year at the end of October.

Amid rumours of serious problems with the construction, the report said F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone travelled directly to South Korea after last Sunday's Malaysian grand prix.

The report said the 79-year-old will decide in the coming days whether or not to cancel the race, which would reduce the 2010 schedule from a record-equalling 19 events to 18.

F1 regular Hermann Tilke's company was responsible for the design of the circuit, but unlike most of his other projects, the German architect is only an advisor for the actual construction in Korea.

"For the first time I am concerned that a (Tilke) circuit is not going to be finished on time," he is quoted as saying.

Focus said a possible outcome for South Korea, despite tickets for the October 24 race already being on sale, is a postponement for one year.

Old 04-12-2010 | 03:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
They said the same thing about Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, Just a slow news day IMO

Old 04-12-2010 | 05:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
This is not surprising.

I lived in Korea for two years. They are not the best at construction.

Also, the circuit is out in the middle of nowhere.

I was wondering how they were going to pull it off.

Looks like they won't.

Old 04-12-2010 | 12:25 PM
cupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond reputecupcake of bahrain has a reputation beyond repute
That's cause Cebarco is not building it! That's why!

Old 04-12-2010 | 03:12 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
quattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond repute
From autosport.com

Promoter says Korean track on schedule

By Edd Straw and Pablo Elizalde Monday, April 12th 2010, 12:37 GMT

Korean Grand Prix organisers have denied its maiden Formula 1 race is in danger, stating that the construction of the circuit is right on schedule.

The circuit, located in Yeongam-gun, Jeollanam-do, is scheduled to host the grand prix on 24 October.

Korea Auto Valley Operation CEO Yung Cho Chung told AUTOSPORT on Monday that the construction was in fact ahead of schedule and that there were no concerns about it not being ready for the race.

"The construction progress for our circuit is well ahead of its schedule and we have absolutely no issues with completion," Cho Chung said.

"I understand that Mr. Ecclestone is quite happy with not only the progress of the track but the direction the Korean F1 race is headed and he has raised no questions and concerns."

A report in German magazine Focus claimed there was major problems with the construction of the new track, which was designed by Herman Tilke.

"For the first time I fear that a [Tilke] circuit is not going to be ready in time," Tilke was quoted as saying by the magazine.

Old 04-12-2010 | 09:15 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
some jumping to conclusion going on in here, let's wait and see.

Old 04-12-2010 | 09:26 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister

I dunno, Daewoo is pretty good.

Old 04-12-2010 | 09:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
bonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond reputebonehead has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
This is not surprising.

Also, the circuit is out in the middle of nowhere.

I was wondering how they were going to pull it off.

Looks like they won't.
So that's where you get your mad hangungmal skillz

Old 04-12-2010 | 09:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bonehead
So that's where you get your mad hangungmal skillz
Ha! Yeah. I was a Mormon missionary for 2 years in the Taejon area - a very rural area of the Penninsula.

Also, my wife of nearly 20 years is native Korean.

I love Korea and its people. But I was in some buildings that scared me due to pretty faulty construction.

To get to the circuit in Korea you must take a 40 minute bus trip from the nearest town. Crazy.

Old 04-12-2010 | 10:38 PM
Teamspeed Pro
smy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond reputesmy266 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quattro joe
From autosport.com

Promoter says Korean track on schedule

By Edd Straw and Pablo Elizalde Monday, April 12th 2010, 12:37 GMT

Korean Grand Prix organisers have denied its maiden Formula 1 race is in danger, stating that the construction of the circuit is right on schedule.

The circuit, located in Yeongam-gun, Jeollanam-do, is scheduled to host the grand prix on 24 October.

Korea Auto Valley Operation CEO Yung Cho Chung told AUTOSPORT on Monday that the construction was in fact ahead of schedule and that there were no concerns about it not being ready for the race.

"The construction progress for our circuit is well ahead of its schedule and we have absolutely no issues with completion," Cho Chung said.

"I understand that Mr. Ecclestone is quite happy with not only the progress of the track but the direction the Korean F1 race is headed and he has raised no questions and concerns."

A report in German magazine Focus claimed there was major problems with the construction of the new track, which was designed by Herman Tilke.

"For the first time I fear that a [Tilke] circuit is not going to be ready in time," Tilke was quoted as saying by the magazine.

This sounds like USF1...

Quick Reply: 2010 Korean GP Could be called off - Report