Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Mateschitz: Räikkönen talk pure speculation

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
^^^+1. F1 needs drivers that draw spectators to the sport with charisma as much as they do with their driving. While we can all agree that Kimi is/was one of the best drivers on the grid, he just didn't do anything for the fans in terms of personality, at least in terms of post race interviews.

I will give Kimi props for being a key component in the most exciting F1 race I've ever seen: Spa Fancorchamps 2008.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
I will give Kimi props for being a key component in the most corrupt F1 race I've ever seen: Spa Fancorchamps 2008.
Fixed it for you.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:56 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Brother. My man. You know I respect your F1 knowledge, but Kimi is not "just the kind of driver that is sorely needed in F1."

He is a great driver - a World Champion. He is one of the fastest drivers ever and holds the fastest lap record at many circuits - second only to Michael Schumacher in most fastest laps.

But there is just something so bland, dry and almost simple about him that he is absolute anathema to F1.

What F1 needs is people with personality and - at the very least - an ability to provide some coherent feedback to the viewing public. Kimi just can't force himself to do it.

I don't hate Kimi and I won't argue about his driving, but interviews with him were just painful to watch and listen to. It was almost as if he were TRYING to be as blank-faced and disinterested as possible.

That is not good for F1.
haha, let me explain a bit. the reason i say his type is needed is because he is the "old school" type of driver. he says what he wants, he does what he wants, you'll never get any PC bull from kimi. if his car is shit he will tell you, if he has to take a shit he will tell you lol. his straight shooter attitude is what's missing from F1.

these drivers have been coached and coached to give the same canned answers whenever they interact with the media and it's such a bore, why do you think kimi interviews the way he does? he has been told to tone it down and stick to the script. of course he's disinterested, he can't be himself. kimi reminds me of finnish version of james hunt. he is a counterpoint to guys like lewis and msc.

if you're basing your entire view of him on the F1 coverage interviews you have missed the real kimi. he's a finn, i don't know if you know many of them, but that dry monotone is their style. have you ever seen mika interview? if you see them interviewed by the finnish media you will see a truer representation, kimi is wild im telling you! he has tons of personality, more than most guys in the paddock, you just never see it on the british coverage. have you seen him rolling up to races on his "iceman" chopper?

on a side note, does alzilla ever disagree with you?

he seems to always be swinging away down there.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Kimi's finest moment.

YouTube - Kimi Raikkonen hits a small child

Al is just extremely intelligent.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:13 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
/\ that vid never ceases to crack me up

Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
↑ I love his face after the kid falls down. He's like "who, me??"

The lady knocked the kid down though.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:19 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree with the roman guy here. Kimi is a raw talent that any racing series would be lucky to have. Screw the scripted interviews, which in my opinion contributes to the boring feel in F1 interviews (think JB, Nico, LH). Let Kimi out there to win some races and praise his crew in his monotone style. Let Kimi out there to lose races and refer to the car as shit in his monotone style. His unpredictability creates an excitement that is missing from Formula 1.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to IIVVX again.

I agree with you my friend I love that Kimi is such a precise weapon I am still convinced that if you put him in equal machinery in some sort of race with the entire grid he will beat every body including MSC, Alonso, Massa, Lewis....
I also see why some people might be put off by his demeanor but as IIVVX said all Fins are monotone

Old 03-02-2010, 03:28 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by like.no.other
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to IIVVX again.

I agree with you my friend I love that Kimi is such a precise weapon I am still convinced that if you put him in equal machinery in some sort of race with the entire grid he will beat every body including MSC, Alonso, Massa, Lewis....
I also see why some people might be put off by his demeanor but as IIVVX said all Fins are monotone
Except for Marcus Gronholm.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
quattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond repute
I accept Kimi, the Finn, and I get their monotone style of speach.

I don't think he gives a shit enough to say what he wants, that's my point. He's not playing the outspoken bad-boy like Montoya, nor is he playing the corporate robot like iLewis. I know he's a party boy after hours, that's what makes it even more frustrating.

He just doesn't give a f&ck and that's not entertaining for anyone.

Now in the best race car, he's probably unbeatable, as we saw when he inherited Michael's car in 07 (and the Mclarens managed to keep each other out of championship contention but that's another story). When it came to having to do some work with the team and contribute to the development of the car in 08 and 09 where was he?

Seeya Kimi, you still have an ex-Miss Scandinavia to tuck you in each night.

Quick Reply: Mateschitz: Räikkönen talk pure speculation