Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

F1: new tire rules.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 AM
Teamspeed Pro
edbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond repute
F1: new tire rules.

I like this, this will make up in strategy to what was lost with fueling.

Source.

Formula One teams have agreed to change the tyre rules for 2010, by making the top ten drivers on the grid start the race on the same tyres they qualified on.

With the absence of refuelling, the amendment has been introduced to maintain a strategic element in the sport. It has been proposed by F1's Sporting Working Group (SWG) in order to improve the show, but will have to be rubber-stamped by the F1 Commission and the FIA's World Motor Sport Council.

The idea is that team's will have to decide between running a soft tyre compound, which should give a better lap time in qualifying but will wear out quickly during the race, or a hard compound, which will give a slower time over one-lap but should last longer. The addition of a heavy fuel load at the start of the race will mean that driver's who choose the softer, better qualifying tyre will have to be very careful in the early stages.

However, it has not been announced what will happen if the track is wet or damp on race day. It is most likely the teams will be allowed to change to the appropriate tyres, but those who qualifyied on the harder compound will lose the long first-stint advantage they would have gained in the dry. Ultimately weather forecasting will become even more important to the weekend's strategy.

It is the second last-minute change to the 2010 rules proposed by the SWG, after the group submitted a new points system for approval on Monday.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I think this is a pretty cool idea but I don't understand why they're getting rid of the ability to refuel. The pit stops were always exciting in the Ferrari garage when the drivers would take off with the fuel hose still in the car! Additionally, the cars will now essentially be more dangerous with these massive fuel tanks. I'm sure there will be plenty of safety precautions taken to ensure that the fuel tank cannot be ruptured but the cars will now have 3X more fuel on board which seems like an unnecessary safety hazzard to me.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 AM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
So only the top 10 qualifiers have to do this? And "start" on the tires so they can switch to whatever compound they wish later in the race?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
edbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond reputeedbhr has a reputation beyond repute
^^they have to use both soft and hard compound every race anyway.

Originally Posted by Alzilla
I think this is a pretty cool idea but I don't understand why they're getting rid of the ability to refuel. The pit stops were always exciting in the Ferrari garage when the drivers would take off with the fuel hose still in the car! Additionally, the cars will now essentially be more dangerous with these massive fuel tanks. I'm sure there will be plenty of safety precautions taken to ensure that the fuel tank cannot be ruptured but the cars will now have 3X more fuel on board which seems like an unnecessary safety hazzard to me.
keep in mind that F1 is always in line with the manufacturers technology needs, the mainstream now is to reduce fuel consumption as much as possible, and the people still want fast cars, if this can be solved in F1 it will slowly make its way to production cars.

what I really think is interesting is qualifying soft tires to get as far ahead in the starting grid, but with that load of fuel, the tires will suffer and the handling will worsen with every lap, drivers will be in the pit earlier than other who are on hard comp.

man, I can't wait, this season is going to be fire.

Last edited by edbhr; 01-27-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
i thought they were aiming to REDUCE strategies called from behind the wall winning races? can they make up there mind already. I swear MotoGP has become more exciting, even with less competitive riders/team on the grid.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by edbhr
keep in mind that F1 is always in line with the manufacturers technology needs, the mainstream now is to reduce fuel consumption as much as possible, and the people still want fast cars, if this can be solved in F1 it will slowly make its way to production cars.

what I really think is interesting is qualifying soft tires to get as far ahead in the starting grid, but with that load of fuel, the tires will suffer and the handling will worsen with every lap, drivers will be in the pit earlier than other who are on hard comp.

man, I can't wait, this season is going to be fire.
Well, they're not exactly trying to reduce fuel consumption. Seems like they're just loading up the cars with more fuel. If they had tried to further integrate KERS into F1, I'd understand.

I do, however, want to see how the extra weight from the fuel will effect tire wear. It's a cool strategy but I don't see the point of banning fuel stops if the cars have to come in for tire changes anyway, especially if the cars will still use the same amount of fuel as last year.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Wasn't it Kovalainen who caught Kimi on fire this year?

But you are right with the larger fuel load.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
i approve this new rule, cant wait for the new season

Old 01-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Yea, boobs never hurt.
Tsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond reputeTsar has a reputation beyond repute
I can't really say I'm a fan of this, don't like the no refuel rule either. Seems like they are just restricting the league more and more every year. Soon F1 guys will be racing on square tires with cooking grease in the gas tank.

I guess we will see how this goes.