Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Ecclestone worries for Renault departure

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 08:06 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Ecclestone worries for Renault departure

Formula One news: Ecclestone worries for Renault departure - GPUpdate.net Formula One

Formula One commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone has admitted that he is apprehensive over the future of the Renault team in Formula One. The French marque is currently under scrutiny from governing body the FIA for claims that Nelson Piquet was instructed to crash in Singapore last year, handing victory to his team-mate.

News in the Spa paddock of the FIA's probe came on Sunday night when then Paris-based federation announced that it was looking into one of last year's Grands Prix, strongly suspected to be Singapore, and an incident that saw a deliberate crash in order to aid the team; Piquet's shunt during the race saw the appearance of the safety car which, as leaders pitted, handed the top spot and eventual victory to Fernando Alonso.

"This is not the sort of thing we need at the moment," Ecclestone told The Times, as the Formula One Management (FOM) owner worries for Renault's future after the manufacturer exits of Honda in December and BMW at the end of this season. "I think it will p*** off Renault for a start. Them leaving the sport is a danger, obviously. I mean, I hope that it isn't like that, but it's the sort of thing that might happen."

Ecclestone added that the investigation, which was first triggered by reports on Brazilian television channel Globo, could have been started by the ousted Nelson Piquet Junior although the F1 supremo is unsure. "What I know, I can't say, to be honest with you," he continued. "All I know is that Flavio (Briatore, Renault Managing Director) is insisting that he knows nothing about it. I think the FIA are looking into everything, they are trying to find out the reality; I suppose they would be upset if they found out that what people are assuming is true, is in fact true, I suppose.

"The only way you could say there is a case to answer is if there is any real evidence. If it's just young Piquet saying this because he wants to say it, that's one thing. If, on the other hand, there's some reality to it, then it's all different. It will be difficult to prove. If there is something on the (team) radio that said, 'Err, Nelson, you'd better crash now,' then what the hell can they do? It depends exactly what comes out of the investigation."

Despite remaining hesitant over the issue, Ecclestone does believe that Piquet, who was replaced by Romain Grosjean from the European Grand Prix onwards, is likely to suffer ramifications of his own. "You can safely say that he's sort of in trouble now," Ecclestone added. "You'd have to wonder what next, wouldn't you?"

Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
As he should if the FIA doesn't give up this Piquet inspired witch hunt.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Just stupid. Who cares about last year? It's not like any decision they could make about Renault last year would've affected who won the WDC since Alonso was never really in contention.

Also, going on this stupid witch hunt, which JC rightfully called it, is just going to push Flavio that much closer to the edge. This guy hates Ecclestone as it is, and being pushed around by him over something that really doesn't matter anymore surely won't help to keep Renault in F1 much longer. I already question how long they're likely to stick around if they lose their star driver again.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Also, going on this stupid witch hunt, which JC rightfully called it, is just going to push Flavio that much closer to the edge. This guy hates Ecclestone as it is, and being pushed around by him over something that really doesn't matter anymore surely won't help to keep Renault in F1 much longer.
flavio hates bernie? right, that's why they bought QPR together. that's why you see them traipsing through the paddock arm in arm. read up-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queens_Park_Rangers_F.C.

know the facts before you throw conjecture/opinions into the mix.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
flavio hates bernie? right, that's why they bought QPR together. that's why you see them traipsing through the paddock arm in arm. read up-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queens_Park_Rangers_F.C.

know the facts before you throw conjecture/opinions into the mix.
Sorry, my bad. Maybe I was thinking of Flavio hating on Max Mosley...