Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

'My name is Jaime Alguersuari'

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
'My name is Jaime Alguersuari'

Formula One news: 'My name is Jaime Alguersuari' - GPUpdate.net Formula One

19-year-old Spaniard Jaime Alguersuari makes history this weekend by becoming the youngest ever driver to compete in a Formula One motor race. Born in Barcelona and current title holder of the British Formula 3 Championship, Jaime will be replacing Sébastien Bourdais alongside F1's only rookie of the year so far, Sébastien Buemi.

With a first name which literally translates to 'James' in English, Jaime is aware that his own names are not the easiest when being pronounced by foreign journalists. "I know it's a little bit tough," he laughed in his first ever press conference at the Hungaroring on Thursday. "My name is 'Heimi Al-gay-shuari'.

With no driver changes for the entire season last year, the modification to Toro Rosso's line-up is the first in F1 since Kazuki Nakajima joined Williams at the 2007 Brazilian Grand Prix. "To be honest, I have done just two (straight line) aero tests," admitted the new driver who, with in-season testing banned, has had no chance to drive the STR4 on a full circuit. "For sure, I am really happy to be here, to learn the car and learn a new situation but at the end it is just another car for me, another car in my racing career, in my life - I am very happy to drive and I am looking forward to it."

Thankfully, the newcomer does have experience of the Hungarian circuit from previous racing formulae as he becomes the second representative of his country, after Fernando Alonso. "They wanted another Spanish driver, so they have it now," he continued. "I'm relaxed, I know what I can do, I know what people expect from me and the most important thing is that I know what I have to do; it's another car, another race in my racing career and it's just one steering wheel and two pedals like everything - that's the target: to learn and to drive."

Has the new boy been introduced to his compatriot? "We had a talk this morning," he replied. "He obviously congratulated me for getting the seat. He's very happy and he told me to have fun and enjoy the moment and that's what I would say to another driver if it was the same situation."

Old 07-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
We'll see how he does, but he's got a lot to live up to, considering the bashing he's been getting by some of the 'old timers' in F1.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
the in season test ban will give him an out. he will have to adapt quickly and on the fly, he's never driven an F1 car round a circuit so it will be interesting to see what he can do.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I'm curious to see how he'll do. I was almost tempted to take a gamble and add him to my fantasy team but decided not to for now.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:12 PM
FIGJAM
Alguersuari happy with first day as F1 driver

Jaime Alguersuari has started his first Formula 1 Grand Prix weekend. The young Spaniard did end last in both free practice sessions but he was well on the pace and not too far behind on the rest. Alguersuari still has a lot to learn he says but is getting more and more confident with the car.

"I am quite happy with how today has gone, especially this morning, when I had a good pace and felt quite confident," Alguersuari said. "In the second session, my lap time could have been better, but I didn't get a clean lap on the option tyre. I am learning all the time. The hardest part was the entry into the high speed corners, which I need to take much faster, but that will come as my confidence grows and I do more kilometres.

"Every time I went out from the garage, I was learning and felt more comfortable with the situation."

Old 07-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
He was still .8s off the pace of the second slowest driver. He's going to get slaughtered on Sunday. We'll see how he does as his comfort level with the car grows...

Old 07-24-2009, 08:22 PM
FIGJAM
Originally Posted by Alzilla
He's going to get slaughtered on Sunday.
he'd get slaughtered regardless, he's in a toro rosso.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
X2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond reputeX2daC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by IIVVX
It wouldn't be funny if it weren't true.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by IIVVX
Yeah, but that's what everyone said about Brawn...

Haha still, STR is a joke.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 PM
FIGJAM
Alguersuari not distracted by doubters

Jaime Alguersuari cast sceptics' thoughts aside to drive to a composed fifteenth position in his first Formula One race on Sunday. The Spaniard, F1's youngest ever driver at the age of 19, finished ahead of team-mate Sébastien Buemi despite admitting difficulties to finish over the course of the final five laps.

Having finished within two seconds of the fastest practice time in both sessions on Friday, Alguersuari went even quicker on Saturday morning to wind up 18th fastest, ahead of both Force India Cars. After suffering from a throttle problem in qualifying and consequently starting the race from the back of the grid, the Barcelona-born driver completed all 69 laps of Sunday's race, finishing one down on winner Lewis Hamilton.

"I just tried to find my pace on the track, regularly and constantly, and to make no mistakes," Jaime explained to reporters "That was the target for the weekend and everyone wanted to have that, especially Toro Rosso and Red Bull; everyone asked me for that and we managed to complete the goal, which was to finish the race and not to make mistakes.

"I think everyone is happy. Christian (Horner, Red Bull Racing team principal) congratulated me yesterday. Dr (Helmut) Marko, Franz (Tost, Scuderia Toro Rosso team principal) and everyone in the team is so happy - I'm also happy!"

What did the rookie make of comments from a number of fellow drivers who felt he was too young to compete in his first F1 race? "I don't give a s*** what the other people say," he replied. "Before coming here and doing practice on Friday, everyone was talking really badly about me but, really, I don't care - I just do what I can do, see what my expectations are and what my future is going to be."

Quick Reply: 'My name is Jaime Alguersuari'