Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Mosley to step down as FIA president

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:47 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Mosley to step down as FIA president

Formula One news: Mosley to step down as FIA president - GPUpdate.net Formula One

Max Mosley has announced that he will not be standing for re-election as FIA president when his current term ends in October of this year. 69-year-old Mosley, who has been head of Formula One's governing body since 1993, has strongly suggested that former Ferrari team principal Jean Todt should inherit the role.

With elections for FIA presidency taking place on Friday 23 October, Mosley revealed his Wednesday decision to FIA member groups in various countries by letter. Having led the federation for four terms, he stressed that the decision to leave was solely his own and is one which has been prepared for over the course of several months, with personal commitments being the greatest reason, especially after the sudden death of his son in early May.

As well as informing that he will not be standing for re-election in just over three months' time, Mosley also put forward the suggestion that Jean Todt would be the most appropriate successor, whilst hoping that he can play a 'modest' role himself alongside the new leader. At present, only former World Rally Champion Ari Vatanen is running for the position.

Mosley's full letter to member clubs is as follows:

'Since my announcement on 24 June that I was not going to seek re-election, I have received almost 100 messages from FIA member clubs urging me to think again. This absolutely unprecedented level of support is very rewarding and I am deeply grateful.

Following the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) meeting on 24 June, we were expecting to extend the 1998 Concorde Agreement with a few minor amendments. In the event, we received a completely new draft. However, after three weeks of intensive negotiations (including weekends and evenings), Nick Craw, (as deputy president, sport) and I feel that, with the help of our lawyers, we have negotiated an agreement which brings to Formula One the new teams and lower costs which were so urgently needed.

At the same time, again largely thanks to Nick, we now have very satisfactory contacts for the World Rally Championship and the new World Championship for GT cars. In addition, a new structure is evolving on the mobility side which I believe will greatly strengthen the FIA in this area.

From a personal point of view it would be very difficult for me to change my mind and stand again. I began some months ago to rearrange my family life with effect from next October. I also informed senior FIA staff that I would not be a candidate. To continue now would greatly complicate my domestic arrangements and be inconsistent with my obligations to my family, particularly after our recent loss. Also, I have felt for some time that I would like to work less. After all, I will be 70 next year.

Therefore, with these new arrangements in place, extremely grateful though I am for all the letters, emails and messages I have received, I have decided to reconfirm my decision. I will not be a candidate in October.

I believe the objective of those who have been kind enough to support me can be achieved if you elect a strong, experienced and competent team, one which will maintain the independence of the FIA and ensure that both the sport and the mobility side are properly run. As an ex officio member of the Senate, I hope to play a modest role myself.

I believe the right person to head that team would be Jean Todt.

Jean is unquestionably the outstanding motor sport manager of his generation and arguably of any generation. Teams run by him have won the World Rally Championship, Cross Country rallies including Paris-Dakar, the Le Mans 24 Hour Race and, in the last 15 years, one Formula One World Championship after another.

He has also been CEO of a large car manufacturer. He thus has experience in charge of a large and complex organisation, something which is an essential qualification for any future president of the FIA. From his road car experience, he has a thorough understanding of the unseen but vital work of the FIA away from the race track and the special stage.

Most recently he has been involved with his partner Michelle Yeoh in FIA road safety and environmental campaigns all over the world, thus demonstrating a commitment to the major public policy initiatives which are such an important part of the FIA's work.

Finally, I must emphasise he would not be in any way a motor industry candidate. He would have no special relationship with his former company, Ferrari, nor with Peugeot Citroen, the manufacturer behind his former World Rally, Cross-Country and Le Mans teams. He would preserve the independence of the FIA.

If he agrees to stand, I think he would be the ideal person to continue but also to extend the work of the past 16 years. He can be relied on in all areas where the FIA is active. I very much hope you will give him your support.

Finally, thank you once again for your support and for the trust you have placed in me. I have enjoyed the last 16 years as president of the FIA and I believe that together we have made much progress with an organisation of which we can all be proud.'

Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Jean Todt would be a very worthy successor, imo.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
avalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Jean Todt would be a very worthy successor, imo.
+1 !!! I agree 100%

Edit: but if not Todt...someone who doesn't have a 'link' to Mad Max.....

Last edited by avalon53; 07-16-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
I don't like the fact that he used to be Ferrari team principle.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Doctor
I don't like the fact that he used to be Ferrari team principle.
I agree, but Todt is better than nothing. Mosley wasn't exactly a Ferrari supporter but Bernie certainly is/was. Still, I'd like to give Todt the benefit of the doubt that he could run the FIA without a bias towards Ferrari.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
The Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, but Todt is better than nothing. Mosley wasn't exactly a Ferrari supporter but Bernie certainly is/was. Still, I'd like to give Todt the benefit of the doubt that he could run the FIA without a bias towards Ferrari.
You don't like Ari Vatanen?

Old 07-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by The Doctor
You don't like Ari Vatanen?
I don't know anything about him, to be honest. Not that my opinion effects the vote at all, but I suppose I should do some more research to see his list of accomplishments. Jean Todt has a long-standing history of running the most successful team in Formula 1 history though which makes him more than qualified enough, imo.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:54 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know anything about him, to be honest.
are you kidding? ari's a beast.
YouTube - Ari vatanen pikes peak

Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^^^ Ohhhhhh, it's THAT guy.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 PM
FIGJAM
Todt stands for FIA presidency

Formula One news: Todt stands for FIA presidency - GPUpdate.net Formula One

Jean Todt has confirmed that his name is now down as a potential candidate for presidency of the FIA once Max Mosley leaves the federation in October, Reuters reports. Mosley recommended the former Ferrari team principal with the announcement on Wednesday of his own decision to step down.

For the first time since 1993, the FIA will welcome a new leader in three months' time when Max Mosley leaves the Paris-based senate having served four terms as president. Having announced his decision via letter to the coalition's many member groups this week, the 69-year-old also strongly suggested that Todt, six years his junior, should take the reigns.

'Following the decision of Max Mosley not to seek a further term of office and his unequivocal support of my candidacy, I have written to the FIA membership to inform them that I wish to stand for the Presidency of the FIA,' reads a statement from Todt. 'It is my intention to continue and expand the outstanding work of President Mosley.'

Mosley wrote: 'I believe the right person to head (the FIA) would be Jean Todt. Jean is unquestionably the outstanding motor sport manager of his generation and arguably of any generation. Teams run by him have won the World Rally Championship, Cross Country rallies including Paris-Dakar, the Le Mans 24 Hour Race and, in the last 15 years, one Formula One World Championship after another.'

Todt's decision to stand places him as the second candidate alongside Finland's 1981 World Rally Champion Ari Vatanen.

Quick Reply: Mosley to step down as FIA president