Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

F1 - The Official Monaco GP Pre-Race, Practice, Qualifying and Race Banter Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Road America be an awesome track for an F1 race but the paddock and grandstand areas are nowhere near up to par with either of the tracks mentioned earlier by MiniD. Plus, I doubt anyone would really want to go to WI for a big F1 race.
Don Panoz of nicotine patch fame redid Road Atlanta a few years ago at ENORMOUS expense. I remember going over there to watch minor races as a kid and then going back to see the changes a few years later at the inaugural Petit Le Mans. Still, however, I would say that the paddock is insufficient for Formula One.

Although snobs would jeer at the notion of holding an F1 race on Georgia farmland, the French Grand Prix was held at Magny-Cours, the Circuit de Nevers, which is located in the middle of nowhere. As is Silverstone, to be perfectly honest. Road ATL is within reasonable distance of Hartsfield, as well. Crucially, it is also within reasonable distance (hour and 15 minutes) of my house . As additional Road ATL ammo, Panoz's Chateau Elan is relatively close, which could house all of those skinny, effete Europeans for the GP weekend. And if you doubt the road racing interest of a city like Atlanta, there is a Hermann Tilke designed track (eventually, fingers crossed) opening probably 30 miles away from Road Atlanta - Atlanta Motorsports Park - Bob Varsha is even planning on being a member!

Alzilla, who owns Elkhart Lake? Deep enough pockets or sufficient interest to get it up to F1 standards?

Old 05-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Seriously. Change it.
BigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond reputeBigE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
It was just me, BigE and Russ. It was still cool. We had a fun discussion.

BigE agreed to fly Russ and I out to Pebble Beach this year first class with back stage access and a ride in his Veyron.
Don't forget that I promised to let each of you wear the Richard Mille watch of your choice from my collection and well as getting to hotlap Laguna Seca in my Gulf liveried 917.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
Don Panoz of nicotine patch fame redid Road Atlanta a few years ago at ENORMOUS expense. I remember going over there to watch minor races as a kid and then going back to see the changes a few years later at the inaugural Petit Le Mans. Still, however, I would say that the paddock is insufficient for Formula One.

Although snobs would jeer at the notion of holding an F1 race on Georgia farmland, the French Grand Prix was held at Magny-Cours, the Circuit de Nevers, which is located in the middle of nowhere. As is Silverstone, to be perfectly honest. Road ATL is within reasonable distance of Hartsfield, as well. Crucially, it is also within reasonable distance (hour and 15 minutes) of my house . As additional Road ATL ammo, Panoz's Chateau Elan is relatively close, which could house all of those skinny, effete Europeans for the GP weekend. And if you doubt the road racing interest of a city like Atlanta, there is a Hermann Tilke designed track (eventually, fingers crossed) opening probably 30 miles away from Road Atlanta - Atlanta Motorsports Park - Bob Varsha is even planning on being a member!

Alzilla, who owns Elkhart Lake? Deep enough pockets or sufficient interest to get it up to F1 standards?
And it took him how long to re-do Road Atlanta?

Also, the drive from Buckhead is 45 min. at least so it has the demographic.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MiniD
And it took him how long to re-do Road Atlanta?

Also, the drive from Buckhead is 45 min. at least so it has the demographic.
2-3 years if my prepubescent memory didn't fail me.

Although the Buckhead zip codes have the highest household incomes in the state, that's not necessarily where the enthusiasts or F1 fans live. Plus, an F1 race would have a more than regional draw, but would certainly pull heavily from populous Florida.

Edit: I remember reading a magazine article as a kid (I have every issue of C&D, R&T, Motor Trend, Automobile, Autoweek, etc. going back to 1997) that mentioned Road Atlanta as a possible F1 venue before Indy was chosen. I googled and got nada, but I promise it's out there somewhere.

Last edited by Guest; 05-22-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
MiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond reputeMiniD has a reputation beyond repute
2-3 years if my prepubescent memory didn't fail me.

Although the Buckhead zip codes have the highest household incomes in the state, that's not necessarily where the enthusiasts or F1 fans live. Plus, an F1 race would have a more than regional draw, but would certainly pull heavily from populous Florida.

Edit: I remember reading a magazine article as a kid (I have every issue of C&D, R&T, Motor Trend, Automobile, Autoweek, etc. going back to 1997) that mentioned Road Atlanta as a possible F1 venue before Indy was chosen. I googled and got nada, but I promise it's out there somewhere.
It took him 10 + years if that to finally give in to re-do Road Atlanta. He also is somewhat stubborn about Road Atlanta.

I mentioned Buckhead as an upscale area and hotels..not people who live there.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Wink

Originally Posted by MiniD
It took him 10 + years if that to finally give in to re-do Road Atlanta. He also is somewhat stubborn about Road Atlanta.

I mentioned Buckhead as an upscale area and hotels..not people who live there.
What year did he buy it? (Hint: 1996)

And what year was the first Petit Le Mans held? (Hint: 1998)

What substantive changes transpired post-Petit Le Mans?

He is stubborn about Road Atlanta and it doesn't often get his full attention, but I'm sure Bernie could change that.

Another hint - the word "demographic" refers to the population living in a certain area, not the infrastructure.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Russ has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond reputeRuss has a reputation beyond repute

He is stubborn about Road Atlanta and it doesn't often get his full attention, but I'm sure Bernie could change that.

Another hint - the word "demographic" refers to the population living in a certain area, not the infrastructure.
Hint: I don't like your condescending tone.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro

All right, man.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:58 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Woho! Road Atlanta is in Monte Carlo!?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Red face

Originally Posted by Russ
Hint: I don't like your condescending tone.
Sorry; if/when I make assertions I make an effort to research them and don't throw stuff out there randomly. I appreciate it if others do the same.

Quick Reply: F1 - The Official Monaco GP Pre-Race, Practice, Qualifying and Race Banter Thread