Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

FIA considering single engine across all formulas

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Official Bowel Mover
TommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Spec engines could quite possibly be a death sentence for Formula 1. The racing is exciting now, but that's because of the dichotomy of chassis and engine combinations scattered throughout the field. If everything was the same, I could just watch IRL or NASCAR. The one thing that NASCAR has that has been missing from the F1 equation lately is lots of passing, but F1 finally has that as well! Using spec engines to lower costs would really tarnish the image of the sport because F1 has always been about the glitz and glamour of racing.
agreed, its tough right now but F1 can't make these types of drastic changes. It would be similar to Bugatti coming out with a economy class hot hatch.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Zeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond reputeZeus has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
I'll be diplomatic and say that things would certainly be less interesting; people who watch F1 (and WRC, etc.) are usually at least somewhat interested in the technology (more so in the US since the following is a hardcore few relative to the mainstream popularity in ROW).

I am not going to be willing to get up at 5 AM to watch the same car with different decals circulate around for 90 minutes and then have the finishing order decided a few days later. I (and I would hazard a guess many others) will not continue to follow Formula One ardently, although it is the ostensible "pinnacle" of motorsport, if it no longer warrants that designation. Sorry, Max.
+ 1

Keep it up Max, FIA, etc...I'll be tuning out real soon.

Wish I had a few billion dollars to start a new race series. It would make Bernie & Max's look like a go-cart series...