Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

FIA considering single engine across all formulas

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
FIA considering single engine across all formulas

My brother just sent me this link.

F1 News > A one-engined world?

I will post my thoughts later.

edit:

As the pinnacle of all things motorsports you don't play with the idea of 'spec', that is if you are at all concerned about your fan-base (we should consider Mosley's agenda with all his talk of 'spec' anything). I gather Max and Bernie aren't seeing or hearing the displeasure of their fans so it is easy for them to seriously consider such changes.

I would much prefer to see the restrictions on engines lifted allowing everything from turbo'd 4-cylinders to NA V12's under a set budget.

Last edited by Alex; 04-09-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Angry

I'll be diplomatic and say that things would certainly be less interesting; people who watch F1 (and WRC, etc.) are usually at least somewhat interested in the technology (more so in the US since the following is a hardcore few relative to the mainstream popularity in ROW).

I am not going to be willing to get up at 5 AM to watch the same car with different decals circulate around for 90 minutes and then have the finishing order decided a few days later. I (and I would hazard a guess many others) will not continue to follow Formula One ardently, although it is the ostensible "pinnacle" of motorsport, if it no longer warrants that designation. Sorry, Max.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond reputeMayoof has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest
I'll be diplomatic and say that things would certainly be less interesting; people who watch F1 (and WRC, etc.) are usually at least somewhat interested in the technology (more so in the US since the following is a hardcore few relative to the mainstream popularity in ROW).

I am not going to be willing to get up at 5 AM to watch the same car with different decals circulate around for 90 minutes and then have the finishing order decided a few days later. I (and I would hazard a guess many others) will not continue to follow Formula One ardently, although it is the ostensible "pinnacle" of motorsport, if it no longer warrants that designation. Sorry, Max.
+1 ....

Old 04-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Guest

^^ What he said.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Official Bowel Mover
TommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond repute
Max is man of many bad ideas (nazi hookers) but this is probably his worst to date.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Spec engines could quite possibly be a death sentence for Formula 1. The racing is exciting now, but that's because of the dichotomy of chassis and engine combinations scattered throughout the field. If everything was the same, I could just watch IRL or NASCAR. The one thing that NASCAR has that has been missing from the F1 equation lately is lots of passing, but F1 finally has that as well! Using spec engines to lower costs would really tarnish the image of the sport because F1 has always been about the glitz and glamour of racing.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
Great idea!!!

Then they can make them all electric motors that can only be charged with solar panels issued by the FIA!! Sometimes I wonder if they remember why people race and why people watch.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Spec engines could quite possibly be a death sentence for Formula 1. The racing is exciting now, but that's because of the dichotomy of chassis and engine combinations scattered throughout the field. If everything was the same, I could just watch IRL or NASCAR. The one thing that NASCAR has that has been missing from the F1 equation lately is lots of passing, but F1 finally has that as well! Using spec engines to lower costs would really tarnish the image of the sport because F1 has always been about the glitz and glamour of racing.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2009, 12:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Great. F1 can be the new IROC series.

Quick Reply: FIA considering single engine across all formulas