Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Hamilton Disqualified

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute03-turbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Lie or not, I think that this is quite heavy handed and inappropriately harsh punishment. Could only happen to Mclaren though.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Official Bowel Mover
TommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond reputeTommyBahama has a reputation beyond repute
seems fair to me.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM
TS Detailing Partner l Atlanta
whitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond repute
Seems very fair now. I'm in awe after reading a couple of these articles this morning. From our friends over at F1Wolf:

Lewis Hamilton - not entirely truthful
A day after coming out saying that his team did not lie Martin Whitmarsh came out again and very much confirmed that Dave Ryan (now suspended team sporting director) and Lewis Hamilton lied to stewards in Melbourne. What else could he do when the evidence was that strong …
“It has become clear from discussions with Dave last night and through into this morning that during the stewards meeting after the Australian Grand Prix, he was not entirely full and truthful in the answers he gave the stewards. Consequently we had no alternative today other than to suspend him. As you can imagine, it is a very sad day for the team. We have got to deal with this weekend. We have to look in a bit more detail all of the events that surrounded it. From my perspective obviously it is a point of deep, deep regret – it is not how I wanted this year in particular to start. It is something for which the team and myself are not only deeply embarrassed but deeply regretful, and for Davey it has been a shattering day for him.”
He also sort of admits that while Hamilton played very serious part in the whole “get Toyota penalized” theatre, McLaren picked only Dave Ryan as a scapegoat.
I think that Lewis was not entirely truthful, but we have spoken to Davey. He was the senior member of the team and they went into the situation together. I think they were trying to deal with the situation and they got it wrong – but Davey as the senior member of the team was responsible for what happened and therefore I took the decision this morning.”
Whitmarsh did not rule out possibility of his own resignation …
What a major screw up from a team that less than 2 years ago got itself into the Stepneygate trouble. The spy affair was a serious thing but that is something that happens (or used to happen) all the time and McLaren simply got caught. What happened in Australia in my opninion is much worse - two guys (Ryan and Hamilton) from one team (McLaren) decided to get a competitor from another team (Trulli) unfairly penalized. And for what - for one single point ! Yes, one point is what made the difference in the title fight last year, but is it worth all of this ?
Lewis Hamilton in the meantime joined his boss in pointing the blame at Dave Ryan (while saying how great guy he is …), while making himself look like an innocent victim of deception:
“I’d like to say sorry to all my fans who have believed in me and supported me for years. I am not a liar. I am not a dishonest person. I am a team player. Every time I have had to do something I have done it. This time it was a huge mistake. I am learning from it. It has had a huge toll for me. It was a lot to deal with. I was in the wrong and I feel I owe it to my fans to let them know that. Like I said I was misled. We went straight there and while we were waiting I was instructed what to do. I did not have time to think about what I was going to do. I felt awkward and very uncomfortable and I think the stewards could see that. I am not a liar.
Dave is a great guy and has worked for the team for many years and he is feeling it just as much as the whole team.
The situation is the worst thing I have experineced in my life. That is why I am here. It is right for me as a human being and a man to tell you exactly what was going on. I am sorry for the embarrassment I have caused to may family and to the team.”
Well, I do not know, but a guy with such a position as Hamilton surely has within McLaren should have enough courage to stand up to “a senior member” of his team, especially if he claims he is not a dishonest person or a liar…
And here is a little flashback to the interwiew Hamilton gave to Autosport on March 31:
“I saw a photo of the podium on the internet this morning - he (Button) looked really, really happy. They’ve shown just what an incredible sport we have and just how unpredictable F1 can be - I just wish I could have been on the podium to share his celebrations on Sunday.
I think now he must be glad he was not there …
I do understand that sometime things are done without thinking and in the heat of the moment, but both Hamilton and McLaren had enough time to rectify the situation before FIA decided to re-open the case. They haven’t done so, instead they decided to celebrate the unexpected podium, regretting they could not stand on it while someone else received unfair 25 sec penalty thanks to their actions …

Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'.
Dana you put fan in fanatic

Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I still don't think the penalty fits the crime.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by like.no.other
Dana you put fan in fanatic
Hey, every point counts. But I draw the line at suspending Dave Ryan. Lewis needs to man-up a bit and just say he made the mistake instead of laying it all on a team member.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Hey, every point counts. But I draw the line at suspending Dave Ryan. Lewis needs to man-up a bit and just say he made the mistake instead of laying it all on a team member.
Better that Dave Ryan gets suspended that it would be to suspend Lewis though! What would they do without their lead driver?

If anyone should be suspended here, it should be Charlie Whiting. That guy has been nothing but trouble for McLaren both here and particularly in Belgium.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
I genuinely hope Lewis or Mclaren don't face further penalties it'll be better for the championship

Old 04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
TS Detailing Partner l Atlanta
whitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond reputewhitlock has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla

If anyone should be suspended here, it should be Charlie Whiting. That guy has been nothing but trouble for McLaren both here and particularly in Belgium.
Absolutly agree there. I mean wasn't it Mr. Whiting that they were waiting on for some kind of clarification as to what to do in the first place!

Quick Reply: Hamilton Disqualified