Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

The Official F1 Malaysian Grand Prix Banter and Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by strebo
I've got better stuff to do.
Better than hanging out with me on the Internet??! Oh man. You must lead an exciting life brother!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond reputeDynamic has a reputation beyond repute
I still think Rubens is a good play at least for the beginning of the season. Yes he benefited from the Kubica/Vettel crash but you have to remember he qualified 2nd but had a horrific start. If he can qualify 1st or 2nd again and get a normal start this time he could time trial it like Button did.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Better than hanging out with me on the Internet??! Oh man. You must lead an exciting life brother!
Haha okey, you got me

Old 03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Over_Under
I fully agree with Dana. I think Kubica's car was working very well on the tires and fuel load he had at the end. I think he would have narrowed the gap if he had a few more laps after passing Vettel. I am not sure, though, that he could have passed BAR and BUT. I think once KUB started narrowing the gap, BAR and BUT would have hit it harder and stayed on line. The Vettel/Kubica battle, I think, represents what we'll see all season: one guy is absolutely jamming (VET), then another car (e.g., HAM, KUB) suddenly hits it's stride with the right tires/fuel and catches the car in front at a *key* point in the race. VET was exploding there for a while when his set up hit it's stride, then something clicked (I think his tires) and his pace came down. Meanwhile, KUB's car hit it's stride right then. It could've happened to either of them in the reverse order. If Bridgestone brings tires like it did this weekend to every race, I think we're going to see lots of overtaking, lots of changes in strategy mid race (unscheduled pits), and multiple chances in running order. All in all, it makes for a more dramatic race.
That is a good point you bring up about the cyclical nature of tires that Bridgestone is imposing on F1. Bridgestone did indeed say they would bring two vastly different tire compounds to each race, but this was at the urging of Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA. The agreement this season was that Bridgestone would develop a total of 6 different tires for the whole season: supersoft, soft, medium, hard, intermediate, and wet. Of those tires, Bridgestone is required to bring the intermediate and wet tires to every race, and then must select 2 other tires that are nonsequential in terms of grip to bring to the race. For Melbourne, the teams had to decide between supersoft and medium. For Malaysia, they'll have to choose from soft or hard tires. As your mentioned Erich, the supersoft tires will offer excellent grip right out of the box but start graining badly within a few laps and degrade further from there, whereas the medium slicks required 3 or 4 laps to get up to temp but then lasted much longer. The only downside to the medium tires was that they lost heat quickly, as was made quite clear when Piquet went spinning into the gravel after the first long safety car stint. As you already mentioned, the battle between Vettel and Kubica began only after Vettel's tires had already started degrading whereas Kubica's were just getting up to temp. I think the new rules as pertaining to tires will actually be the key to what makes the races interesting to watch this season, more so that even KERS and the adjustable front aero.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone got any info/statistics on how much the drivers actually adjusted the front wing?

Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone got any info/statistics on how much the drivers actually adjusted the front wing?
Not sure. I don't think the teams have to make that stuff available like they do with fuel loads and KERS.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Nutcrusher
That makes sense. Was just curious if they actually change it that much or if they use it for like overtakes and such. Maybe increasing downforce just before braking at the end of the long straight or something like that.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
That makes sense. Was just curious if they actually change it that much or if they use it for like overtakes and such. Maybe increasing downforce just before braking at the end of the long straight or something like that.
I think the adjustment of the wing might be tied into the KERS system so that when it's used for passing, the wing changes its angle to allow the boost of speed to be optimized. For cars without KERS, I think it's just a button the driver can press to lower downforce in the front and allow easier acceleration on the straights.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dynamic
I still think Rubens is a good play at least for the beginning of the season. Yes he benefited from the Kubica/Vettel crash but you have to remember he qualified 2nd but had a horrific start. If he can qualify 1st or 2nd again and get a normal start this time he could time trial it like Button did.
And don't forget he also lost 2 front wings! First thing I did Sunday morning was drop Lewis and Kimi and add Rubens, Kubica and Vettel.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Yes he did, its BS.

Hopefully Kubica and Vettel won't pull the same crap, b/c everyone who's saying that Lewis put on a hell of a show should take into account the amount of spaces that he inherited.

Last edited by "The JC"; 03-30-2009 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: The Official F1 Malaysian Grand Prix Banter and Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]