Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

The Official F1 Malaysian Grand Prix Banter and Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Over_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barrister
Don't any of you guys thin that Kubica would have caught Button had he not crashed? Heck, I think Vettel had a chance to reel him in. Kubica was gaining nearly a half a second per sector with 2 laps to go. He was making his move. I think the whole Brawn GP fairy tale would have been much less dramatic had Kubica and Vettel not taken each other out. In the end, Jenson and Rubens benefitted as much from that crash as Lewis did.
I fully agree with Dana. I think Kubica's car was working very well on the tires and fuel load he had at the end. I think he would have narrowed the gap if he had a few more laps after passing Vettel. I am not sure, though, that he could have passed BAR and BUT. I think once KUB started narrowing the gap, BAR and BUT would have hit it harder and stayed on line. The Vettel/Kubica battle, I think, represents what we'll see all season: one guy is absolutely jamming (VET), then another car (e.g., HAM, KUB) suddenly hits it's stride with the right tires/fuel and catches the car in front at a *key* point in the race. VET was exploding there for a while when his set up hit it's stride, then something clicked (I think his tires) and his pace came down. Meanwhile, KUB's car hit it's stride right then. It could've happened to either of them in the reverse order. If Bridgestone brings tires like it did this weekend to every race, I think we're going to see lots of overtaking, lots of changes in strategy mid race (unscheduled pits), and multiple chances in running order. All in all, it makes for a more dramatic race.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Over_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond reputeOver_Under has a reputation beyond repute
Old 03-30-2009, 01:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
You know, the FIA and the Stewards act as if nobody has ever crashed in the history of F1! Shouldn't most of these scenarios be old hat for them? Why do they continue to screw it up???

Old 03-30-2009, 01:42 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm seriously getting tired of all this FIA, Stewards, retroactive bullshit. If the Malaysia GP is as f' up as the Melbourne one, I'm thinking about quitting watching formula one. It feels like every race nowadays gets "looked upon" by the stewards and they change the finishing order every single time. To be sure to win a GP you must now drive flawless, win by 40min and be the only car to finish the race. Then you just might be able to score in the points.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ARe there any other sports where a bevy of 'stewards' can make a decision that retroactively changes the outcome of the competition? (Not counting 'sports' like figure skating . What pisses me off is that they sit there *after* the race and will only look at world wide feed. What should happen is that 1 steward (just like an on-court referee) be placed every 100 yards or so along the track and the steward makes the car real time based on his own perspective and witness. This post-race evaluation crap based on the selective coverage of world wide feed is annoying.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Over_Under
I fully agree with Dana. I think Kubica's car was working very well on the tires and fuel load he had at the end. I think he would have narrowed the gap if he had a few more laps after passing Vettel. I am not sure, though, that he could have passed BAR and BUT. I think once KUB started narrowing the gap, BAR and BUT would have hit it harder and stayed on line. The Vettel/Kubica battle, I think, represents what we'll see all season: one guy is absolutely jamming (VET), then another car (e.g., HAM, KUB) suddenly hits it's stride with the right tires/fuel and catches the car in front at a *key* point in the race. VET was exploding there for a while when his set up hit it's stride, then something clicked (I think his tires) and his pace came down. Meanwhile, KUB's car hit it's stride right then. It could've happened to either of them in the reverse order. If Bridgestone brings tires like it did this weekend to every race, I think we're going to see lots of overtaking, lots of changes in strategy mid race (unscheduled pits), and multiple chances in running order. All in all, it makes for a more dramatic race.
You hit the nail on the head very well said my friend...You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Over_Under again.

Originally Posted by strebo
I'm seriously getting tired of all this FIA, Stewards, retroactive bullshit. If the Malaysia GP is as f' up as the Melbourne one, I'm thinking about quitting watching formula one. It feels like every race nowadays gets "looked upon" by the stewards and they change the finishing order every single time. To be sure to win a GP you must now drive flawless, win by 40min and be the only car to finish the race. Then you just might be able to score in the points.
no you won't and we both no it for all the bullshit in F1 we still love it politics and all

Old 03-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
What should happen is that 1 steward (just like an on-court referee) be placed every 100 yards or so along the track and the steward makes the car real time based on his own perspective and witness. This post-race evaluation crap based on the selective coverage of world wide feed is annoying.
Exactly. Give these guys a chance to make the calls live. If you miss a call - oh well. It's like whenEd Hockuley missed the call in the NFL this year that gave Denver a win they didn't desrve. Clearly Ed missed the call - he admitted so after the game. But they didn't take the win away from Denver.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Did you guys see during the race when they put the camera on the room full of stewards? It looked like a freakin' Star Trek convention or NASA's mission-control room!!! Those guys are like 70 years old and can barely see the world wide fee through their glasses. There were three or four rows of them. How can you make a sports decision sitting in a room miles away from the infraction? PS - If they asked me to be an F1 steward and sit in that room and give me the "all access" pass, I'd do it

Old 03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PS - If they asked me to be an F1 steward and sit in that room and give me the "all access" pass, I'd do it
Then BMW would mysteriously win every race!

Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by like.no.other
You hit the nail on the head very well said my friend...You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Over_Under again.

no you won't and we both no it for all the bullshit in F1 we still love it politics and all
Believe it or not but I feel that there's no point wasting 3-4-5-6h every weekend when I know that it doesn't matter who's the fastest on the track but what the stewards think. I've got better stuff to do.

Quick Reply: The Official F1 Malaysian Grand Prix Banter and Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]