Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Publication places Alonso best driver for the 2008 season

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:51 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Publication places Alonso best driver for the 2008 season

This is bound to cause some controversy. A fair assessment in my opinion. Let us know How'd you rank the top ten drivers for 2008. Here's the article:

Fernando Alonso has been named the top F1 driver of the 2008 season by Italy's La Gazzetta dello Sport.

The daily sports newspaper said the Spaniard outclassed both Lewis Hamilton and Felipe Massa, despite the latter duo occupying first and second spots in the final drivers' classifications.

"Why Alonso? Because he was driving a Renault, which did not begin as the best machine, but in the last six Grand Prix no-one scored more points than him," the publication said of the 27-year-old.

"In wise and close collaboration with his engineers, he gradually improved to a level of high competitiveness that allowed him not only to win two races, but to do better than everyone from September onwards: 43 points for him versus 33 for Massa and 28 for Hamilton."

"And all this with the handicap of Renault engine power. Had he driven a Ferrari, the title would certainly had been his."

World champion Lewis Hamilton was named second best due to his strength "on every type of track, in the wet and in the dry, showing no weaknesses," while Felipe Massa is third when "no-one expected him to be so strong" despite being "bombarded by bad luck in decisive moments."

BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica was named next best, ahead of young Monza winner Sebastian Vettel, Kimi Raikkonen, Nick Heidfeld, Jarno Trulli and Timo Glock. McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen rounded out the top ten.

E.A, Source: GMM
© CAPSIS International

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2008, 04:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Here are my top 10
1. Hamilton - WDC Champion
2. Massa - Runner up partially due to bad luck
3. Alonso - Love him or hate him he is good
4. Vettel - Phenomenal
5. Kubica - on pace to be a great racer
6.Raikonen - disappointing season from the 2007 champion
7. Truli - excellent season from the super qualifier
8. Glock - very good rookie season from the German
9. Coulthard -a true gentleman racer
10. Bourdais- I just like him

Old 12-28-2008, 05:54 AM
Bo means business
Bonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond reputeBonita has a reputation beyond repute
this is my list:
1.Massa

and no one else

Last edited by Bonita; 12-28-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:07 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
that article is right on the money

Old 12-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bonita
this is my list:
1.Massa

and no one else
oh tifosi people they certainly are one of a kind...

1.LH
2.FA, though it hurts me to say this
3.FM
4. the rest of this list is hard but I really like Kubica

Old 12-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Hard to believe Alonso was ranked 1st, but I can understand there point. Then again, if they thought Alonso did well in a shitty car, then Sebastian Vettel should be ranked #1 instead. He kicked ass with one of the worst cars on the grid!

My list goes as follows:
1) Lewis Hamilton
2) Felipe Massa
3) Sebastian Vettel
4) Fernando Alonso
5) Robert Kubica
6) Kimi Raikonnen
7) Jenson Button
8) Nick Heidfeld
9) Mark Webber (I just think he's cool)
10) Nelson Piquet Jr.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Hard to believe Alonso was ranked 1st, but I can understand there point. Then again, if they thought Alonso did well in a shitty car, then Sebastian Vettel should be ranked #1 instead. He kicked ass with one of the worst cars on the grid!

My list goes as follows:
1) Lewis Hamilton
2) Felipe Massa
3) Sebastian Vettel
4) Fernando Alonso
5) Robert Kubica
6) Kimi Raikonnen
7) Jenson Button
8) Nick Heidfeld
9) Mark Webber (I just think he's cool)
10) Nelson Piquet Jr.
I'd have to argue that at the beginning of the season the toro rosso was a better car than the renault

Old 12-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by like.no.other
I'd have to argue that at the beginning of the season the toro rosso was a better car than the renault
Yes, this is probably true, given that they're running Ferrari engines. I still think Sebastian Vettel is a superb driver, especially in the wet. Passing Hamilton at Interlagos and keeping him back for a couple of laps leading to the finish when Hamilton absolutely needed to get in front of him was a damn impressive feat by Vettel.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Yes, this is probably true, given that they're running Ferrari engines. I still think Sebastian Vettel is a superb driver, especially in the wet. Passing Hamilton at Interlagos and keeping him back for a couple of laps leading to the finish when Hamilton absolutely needed to get in front of him was a damn impressive feat by Vettel.
Don't get me wrong I completely agree Vettel is phenomenal and I can definitely see a WDC in his future

Old 12-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
The article argues its point strongly, but take away ferraris mistakes and you have Massa as world champ by more than a point. Take away Hamiltons mistake in Canada and who knows what momentum Kimi would have gained in his championship defense. Im a fan of Alonso, but did he score more points than Hami and Massa head to head? I remember quite a bit of circumstances leading to that anomoly. And to defend the champ, it took the stewards intervention keep massa in touch with him in the points. But my biggest point of all is after a season as great as if you ask 10 people to make a list you will get 11 in return!