Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Hamilton not fazed by unpopularity

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Hamilton not fazed by unpopularity

Lewis Hamilton believes his unpopularity with some of his fellow drivers is a result of his meteoric rise to the top of Formula 1.

The 23-year-old has enjoyed extraordinary success during his first two years in the sport, shattering records on the way to a narrow championship defeat in his debut season before becoming the youngest ever champion in his second – but has had to deal with mounting paddock criticism about his attitude and driving style.

Hamilton was subjected to the ire of a number of his rivals following the Japanese Grand Prix in October, when a botched first corner move forced both Ferrari drivers off the track, and later admitted in Brazil that “I know I’m not popular in the paddock”.

Elaborating on that comment in an exclusive interview with Martin Brundle for ITV Sport’s season review show, the Briton said the situation was nothing new for him and surmised that it was a by-product of his success.

“It doesn’t really bother me, to be honest,” he told Martin at McLaren’s Woking HQ.

“It’s been a part of my life since my first year of racing. It’s just been the way it is, and it’s not necessarily people not liking me, it’s that no one likes to lose.”

The McLaren driver, who received unprecedented support from the Woking squad during his rise through the motorsport ranks, believes the fact he came straight into F1 with a front-running car is likely to have fuelled some resentment against him.

“To have someone come up so quickly like I have, and to go straight to the team that perhaps someone else was hoping to be sitting in, and then beating them…” he said.

“I don’t like losing, you know; I put on a brave face, but I don’t like losing.”

source[www.itv-f1.com]

Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2008, 03:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
He sounds kind of cocky and snobbish in those selected quotes, but on the other hand, he's such a damn good driver. I'd be pissed too if I'd been in the sport for 5+ years and all of a sudden, some kid comes out of nowhere and blows by me. It's a competitive sport and you have to take the good parts along with the bad.

Old 12-25-2008, 04:38 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
He sounds kind of cocky and snobbish in those selected quotes, but on the other hand, he's such a damn good driver. I'd be pissed too if I'd been in the sport for 5+ years and all of a sudden, some kid comes out of nowhere and blows by me. It's a competitive sport and you have to take the good parts along with the bad.
exactly it comes with the territory. if he was an average driver with a humble attitude he'd still be resented for having a seat at Mclaren so you can understand why the other drivers don't like him. He's an excellent driver at one of the two top teams and he's arrogant

Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
Arrogant? Hes supposed to be nice and reserved in an environment as competitive as F1?! In his first season he challenged possibly the best driver of this era in the same machine as him. He has more than enough right to be confident. Or I guess he supposed to bend over and take it from a$$holes like Button claiming its just the car hes in. Im tifosi, but Cheers Hami!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:00 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Vandit is on a distinguished roadVandit is on a distinguished roadVandit is on a distinguished roadVandit is on a distinguished roadVandit is on a distinguished road
I'm hoping Hamilton ties up all the loose ends that slowed him down in 2008 and just blows 2009 wide open and wins the WDC with a races left to the season. That would be awesome!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
He's faced with hatred up and down the paddock. Alonso will forever hold a grudge because of his start at Minardi where it took him years to get recognized, after which he turned Renault into a championship-winning team.

There's much to dislike about Lewis but don't hate the playa.

Originally Posted by like.no.other
<snip>

“It’s been a part of my life since my first year of racing. It’s just been the way it is, and it’s not necessarily people not liking me, it’s that no one likes to lose.”
</snip>

source[www.itv-f1.com]

^ I believe all drivers, with the exception of Alonso, feel this way.

Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
I love how these driver envy his start at a top team when many of them probably couldn't handle the pressure like does. Even as vets they probably wouldn't perform as well...cough cough*button*

Old 12-30-2008, 10:43 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Member Dangerzone will take over the top spot soon anyway