Notices
Pit-Stop Discussion Forum For Racing/Track events, DE/Autocross, Professional Racing Events, Nascar, Formula 1, IndyCar, & More.

Button could test with Toro Rosso next week

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
Button could test with Toro Rosso next week

Contracted Honda driver Jenson Button could flee the beleaguered team before the start of the 2009 season.

Although publicly committed to the Brackley-based outfit in the wake of Honda's Friday pullout, it is believed the 28-year-old driver is actually furious his loyalty to Honda has left him without a guaranteed race seat.

His management is understood to have demanded clarification as to the binding nature of his newly-penned contract, given the fact that the sole financier will no longer be involved.

Honda President Takeo Fukui on Friday apologised to Button, and admitted that talks will be instigated to "undo" the Briton's commitment to the F1 team.

Button may therefore be considering simply jumping ship rather than hanging around to see if the British-based team can find a buyer before the Australian Grand Prix in late March.

The Guardian newspaper reports that, amid the Honda news, Toro Rosso made an approach to Button as it seeks to finalise its driver lineup for next year.

Sources close to the Faenza-based team, run by Franz Tost who in 2000 worked with Button at BMW-powered Williams, said Button could be invited to test a Toro Rosso at Jerez next week.

© CAPSIS International
Source: GMM

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Watch this space.
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Good for him - he manned-up and stayed with Honda only for them to pull the plug. If he took it court, I'm sure he'd win. I like Button - why not an all-British driver team at McLaren? He's been running at the back of the pack already, so being #2 to Hamilton wouldn't be so bad...

Old 12-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
like.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond reputelike.no.other has a reputation beyond repute
follow up

In the wake of Honda's shock withdrawal from Formula One, contracted driver Jenson Button says he will contemplate any offers to race elsewhere in 2009.

Following the Honda news, it emerged that the 28-year-old Briton recently penned a new Honda deal, that will according to the marque's President Takeo Fukui now be "undone" at Button's request.

"If Jenson gets an opportunity we will sit down and see what the situation here is and what opportunity he has got," Honda team boss Ross Brawn is quoted as saying by The News of the World.

Honda is seeking a buyer for the Brackley-based team prior to the 2009 season.

Brawn added: "If we can keep him here we will be delighted but we also understand that it is very difficult for an F1 driver to miss a season -- unlike engineers."

Although embroiled in contractual wrangling in the past, Button has remained loyal to Honda for several years now, but said his overriding goal is to race.

"I want to race in F1," he told the Daily Express.
"I am happy to listen to anybody who will give me the opportunity to do so... whatever the cost."

It is suggested that Button's best options for 2009 are remaining at a re-badged Honda team, or switching to Red Bull's second F1 outfit, Toro Rosso.

An STR source told the News of the World that Button "would not need to do an audition" should he be interested in a switch, but the official message from the team is different.

According to a Red Bull statement carried by the news agency AFP, Honda's withdrawal "will have no impact on the choice of Toro Rosso's pilots."

© CAPSIS International
Source: GMM

Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
I think Button would be a great fit for STR.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:59 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
button needs to seal that STR drive asap. shouldn't be a problem if he wants it, STR aren't going to pick sato over him...

Old 12-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
I think STR are most likely to follow in Honda's foot steps

Old 12-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
TTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond reputeTTM0TION has a reputation beyond repute
^^that's what I'm worried about. Having two teams between red bull and str doesn't seem cost effective...

Old 12-08-2008, 12:26 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Pablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond reputePablo Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
^Exactly, ill be VERY surprised to find out RedBull is sticking with two teams next year. If Kovoleinen is out of Mclaren next year, I also think Button would be great with McLaren. Hes a great driver.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar
^Exactly, ill be VERY surprised to find out RedBull is sticking with two teams next year. If Kovoleinen is out of Mclaren next year, I also think Button would be great with McLaren. Hes a great driver.
I'm not so sure Jens and Lewis would mesh well together Button has a bit of an Ego and Lewis's big head is already too much for one team

Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Raz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond reputeRaz5219 has a reputation beyond repute
I can't blame Button for wanting out now. He's more than fulfilled his obligation to the Honda team. I could see him at STR and he's def a more consistant driver than Sato. As long as STR stays put, that is his best bet. He's talented, and I hope he gets on a good team so it doesn't go to waste.

Quick Reply: Button could test with Toro Rosso next week