Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Photography 101

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:27 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond repute
One I took over the weekend. Very mediocre shot but tried to salvage it. Straightened it up a bit, played with the curves and some filters and what not.

Last edited by ShutterSpeed; 01-17-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dutchnick
Nick I think Evo is correct on how this photo was shot... but I think the editing was basically HDR processing from one frame

Played around with your pic and the Lightbox App that I have on my iPhone and got these from the set effects

Original

HDR

Antique

Cannot remember

Old 01-17-2012, 02:30 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
A few others via HDR processing using one image…
I am over doing the effect so the difference can be easily seen

At 30% of the HDR effect

At 30% of the HDR effect

I think I should have toned it down

Last edited by GrayTT; 01-17-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Wow only just found this thread, love it, photography is a big part of my life. Especially automotive photography! As I know there's a lot of Porsche fans on here I thought I'd show you my best panning shot of a Porsche:

I took this picture last year in Stuttgart right near the museum.
Key details: 1/40 f/6.3 ISO:200

Old 01-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
I produce this effect pretty much the same way Pure Evo excellently described it -- by adding a a couple of adjustment layers. In this example, I added an adjustment layer for curves (adjust the R,G,B separately) as well as another layer to adjust hue/saturation (I desaturated it a bit as well as adjusted the lightness).

One other process I like to do, is to add layers for adjusting the lighting effects on the photo. Here, I used a couple of soft light layers to either darken or lighten certain parts of the photo that I wanted to stand out. For example, I darkened the headlight housing, the lower front grille section, and the windows of the car. I also darkened the entire background, to help the car 'pop' a little more. Then, I used another layer to brighten certain spots, like the rear bumper of the car.

Out of camera shot:

Processed, adjusting curves & saturation (without lighting layers):

Processed with lighting layers added:

Old 01-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond reputeShutterSpeed has a reputation beyond repute
^Nice side profile shot. I would be careful about dark/lightening certain bits of the car. The windows, headlight, and shadow under the trailers are very very black compared to the greyed down areas in the wheel/tire area. Then you have the high contrast red in the background against the rest of the photo being toned down. It just doesn't look consistent with the rest of the photo now. Not sure if that made sense or not?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!P K Wright You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks!
Originally Posted by ShutterSpeed
^Nice side profile shot. I would be careful about dark/lightening certain bits of the car. The windows, headlight, and shadow under the trailers are very very black compared to the greyed down areas in the wheel/tire area. Then you have the high contrast red in the background against the rest of the photo being toned down. It just doesn't look consistent with the rest of the photo now. Not sure if that made sense or not?
+1

Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Shutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by P K Wright
Awesome panning. Gotta love a crystal clear panning shot

Old 01-17-2012, 05:22 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
LaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond reputeLaneS@macarbon.com has a reputation beyond repute
This thread is awesome! Keep it coming!

Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ShutterSpeed
D'oh... excellent catch. I guess I was too quick/eager to upload that pic. I hadn't reduced the opacity of those layers, making them way too dark, as you pointed out.

Here's the final image I was trying to show -- with subtle lighting effects.

Quick Reply: Photography 101