Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Photography 101

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not one of the experts, but I think they're great shots. Maybe the sunlight is a little harsh (mostly on the interior shots) is the only thing I'd say really stands out. I like the "poses", the locations and the variety of shots. And I LOVE the car.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pure Evo
I'm not one of the experts, but I think they're great shots. Maybe the sunlight is a little harsh (mostly on the interior shots) is the only thing I'd say really stands out. I like the "poses", the locations and the variety of shots. And I LOVE the car.
Thanks buddy, I really appreciate the feedback. You're totally correct about the sunlight on those interior shots (and on the last of the exterior ones too). That was a case of me 'forcing' those shots. I was determined to get some interior shots today, but was only able to get out pretty much during peak sunlight this afternoon. Lesson learned!

BTW, you may not consider yourself an 'expert', but from the shots I've seen you post, you have a terrific eye & certainly know what you're doing behind the camera.

Again, I greatly appreciate the feedback. It all helps toward my goal of becoming a better photog.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Shutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond reputeShutter Speed has a reputation beyond repute
They're all good, especially the 3rd and last one. The lighting is a tad bit harsh in a few of them, but it's not that bad. Overall, great photos.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Not bad....but maybe you could consider using a longer zoom on the exterior shots with a wide open aperture to maybe put a little bit more focus on the car itself. I can already see that the background is a bit soft but I'll bet that it really would make the subject "pop out" if you tried that.

Also, I agree with Steve on the lighting being a bit harsh. The "perfect light" should be used deliberately without too much thought. It can be used to work with you rather than against you. For example, in this shot, I have the car "cropped" with a "spotlight" strobe effect just above..I think it works.

Use the shadows too...it can work well if used in a subtle way. Just a little bit of mystery.

I didn't light up the whole interior in this shot. Again, I kept certain elements dark.

This was taken late in the day using the afterglow of the sun. See how it is used with great effect even though it's used with a subtle effect.

Oh, here's another time lapse video from the 997TT 918 Spyder shoot
http://vimeo.com/36117120

Last edited by atomic80; 02-03-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:05 PM
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
This would be a good example of what look you'd get if you were to use a long zoom with the aperture wide open

Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
^^ Thanks Jason, great feedback and examples. A lot of those shots I did shoot with my zoom (55-250mm), but I suppose I could have opened the aperture a bit more to get that effect.

Again, thanks very much guys... the information in this thread is invaluable!

Old 02-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
I second that. I pretty much shoot everything f1.4 or 2.8 depending on which lens I'm using, and work my settings around that unless I really need deep focus like for landscape or something. Simply because that what's appealing to me personally.

I'm hooked on shallow DOF, and I think it's one of the most effective tools that elevates a photo from a snapshot to something a little more. Also, using a wide open aperture obviously lets you utilize available light better. This shot below was taken when the sun was barely cresting the horizon in early morning, f1.4 @50mm for 1/1600, so I feel like I got uniform, "atmospheric" lighting and still a crisp shot.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
If you're going to use a shallow depth of field then I suggest you make good use of the dof preview button because it will show you exactly what will or will not be in focus.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Teamspeed Pro
That's good advice that I consistently neglect to use

Old 02-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Showoffs!!!!!

One thing to look out for when going with a shallow DOF is that you don't go too shallow and have part of you subject out of focus.... having a laptop around works better then just using the camera screen IMO to make sure you got it the way you want it

Quick Reply: Photography 101