Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Help Me Choose My First DSLR

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Teamspeed Pro
0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Question Help Me Choose My First DSLR

Hey Guys

I need a good DSLR camera in my life as I just hate asking others to take photos etc and plus im sick of point and shoots.

I think I have got it narrowed down to Canon Rebel T3i/600D or the Nikon 5100.(if you have any other recommendations please post them up)

Basically it should be able to shoot video and take some decent pics for the next few years at least.

I dont wana spend thousands on a camera so my budget is around $750 max.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
T3i...Do it...Canon makes the best lenses ever...non negotiable

Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Royal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond reputeRoyal Oak has a reputation beyond repute
I´ve got the Nikon D3100 w/ a Nikkor 18-200mm lens, I'm happy with it although I haven't photographed many cars yet. The body is pretty cheap, but the lens I got was about €650,-.

Oh and it's my first DSLR also, the D3100 is nice to start with.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Cannot go wrong here... buy the newer of the two
OR the way I would go is to buy the cheaper of the two + the best lenses I can afford

Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Teamspeed Pro
0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute0-60Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Cool, Thanks for the replys so far guys. GrayTT So far I have been recommended the Canon 100% so I am still leaning towards it.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
VKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond repute
Step up to the d7000 nikon...I bought the d5000 and I had now wished I had bought the d90 which is no longer in produton. You can't go wrong with your choices though..I like the feel of the nikon better.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by McRae
T3i...Do it...Canon makes the grayest lenses ever...non negotiable
Fixed.

To the OP, like GrayTT says, you really cannot go wrong. We'll debate Canon vs. Nikon 'til the end of the world (Dec, 2012 BTW!) but in reality you'll get the pictures you want with either. The cameras perform exactly the same functions, and if I showed anyone here 2 pictures taken with each, nobody could tell me which was shot with which.

Like MexicoBlue says in the thread below, "but in the end it's the Indian, not the arrow . . . ":

https://teamspeed.com/forums/photogr...-vs-canon.html

Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports
Cool, Thanks for the replys so far guys. GrayTT So far I have been recommended the Canon 100% so I am still leaning towards it.
If the people recommending Canon to you have lenses you can borrow, then by all means buy that! I initially went with Nikon because my dad always shot with it, I liked the feel and layout, and most importantly he already had a bunch of lenses I could borrow

Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Buy a Nikon D700 or Canon 5D MkII. Budgets are for suckers and if you don't buy one of those two cameras now, you'll spend way more money over the next few years and be filled with regret that you didn't just buy the best in the first place.

It's a fact.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by VKING
Step up to the d7000 nikon...I bought the d5000 and I had now wished I had bought the d90 which is no longer in produton. You can't go wrong with your choices though..I like the feel of the nikon better.
I'll look at the above recommended models now.
Originally Posted by Pure Evo
Fixed.

To the OP, like GrayTT says, you really cannot go wrong. We'll debate Canon vs. Nikon 'til the end of the world (Dec, 2012 BTW!) but in reality you'll get the pictures you want with either. The cameras perform exactly the same functions, and if I showed anyone here 2 pictures taken with each, nobody could tell me which was shot with which.

Like MexicoBlue says in the thread below, "but in the end it's the Indian, not the arrow . . . ":

https://teamspeed.com/forums/photogr...-vs-canon.html
Yeah I agree.
Originally Posted by Pure Evo
If the people recommending Canon to you have lenses you can borrow, then by all means buy that! I initially went with Nikon because my dad always shot with it, I liked the feel and layout, and most importantly he already had a bunch of lenses I could borrow
Thanks for your input.
Originally Posted by Alzilla
Buy a Nikon D700 or Canon 5D MkII. Budgets are for suckers and if you don't buy one of those two cameras now, you'll spend way more money over the next few years and be filled with regret that you didn't just buy the best in the first place.

It's a fact.
Budgets are for suckers? I stated I am on a budget and thats that! Some of us don't always have extra cash lying around. Thanks for your advice any way.

I am still leaning towards the T3i but still interested in the D5100 and still looking at the above recommended models. I have another 9 days till I have to buy.

Quick Reply: Help Me Choose My First DSLR