Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Need a good ZOOM lens for my D90

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Need a good ZOOM lens for my D90

So, I got the 35mm 1:1.8G lens that you guys suggested as the general purpose lens for my D90, and it has worked really awesome, especially indoor where most of the pictures are taken (my kids).

I started looking into getting a ZOOM lens that has close to the light sensitivity of my 1.8G lens, but a lot of photo places online seem to not think that you can have both good light sensitivity and good zoom.

Is there a ZOOM lens that is compact (not much bigger than the 1.8G) and can be used indoor on closeup of kids (who are too little to stand still)?

Thanks a lot guys, I am a photo retard that is very happy with the quality of my D90 + 1.8G lens over my last PS SONY camera looking to do some ZOOM pictures.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Teamspeed Cigarette Racer
Location: Blue Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Monterey and beyond
gociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=stuka;1029088]So,... my D90, and it has worked really awesome, especially indoor where most of the pictures are taken (my kids)....looking into getting a ZOOM lens that has close to the light sensitivity of my 1.8G lens...Is there a ZOOM lens that is compact (not much bigger than the 1.8G) and can be used indoor on closeup of kids (who are too little to stand still)?
QUOTE]
wow, compact-low light, fast lens and zoom? tough challenge IMHO!
What is your zoom range and your budget and do you want manual or af?
THE 35 1.8G is a very nice compact low light lens and its going to be tough to get a zoom that will behave like the 1.8g.
Again, not sure what your range in a zoom you want but i would look into a good used nikor 17-35 2.8 very capable and pretty fast or maybe the 16-35mm f/4 AF-S VR , not too compact though- rent 1st before you drop the coin.
HOWEVER, imho, you cannot beat a top shelf prime especially at the young age of kids, with auto focus. I would rent a 50 1.4g or a 85 1.4g and see what you think and use your legs as zoom. The fast lens is very forgiving in low light.

Last edited by gociggie31; 07-24-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond repute
You want a zoom lens with the optical qualities of a prime? Then you're going to have to dish out some cash for a proper lens. If you DON'T want to cash out thousands of dollars, you could opt for the 18-200mm VR ii lens. Excellent general purpose zoom lens that will complement your current prime.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Pure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond reputePure Evo has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, if you gotta have the zoom, the 18-200 is very versatile, not too big, and it's priced well. Here's Ken Rockwell's take.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
I did look at the 17-35 2.8 on his website. So you are paying twice the money for the better light sensitivity over the VR?

I just don't know if the VR is going to need some lighting assist when I am indoor.

I started looking into ZOOM lens because the prime 1.8 I have is not able to get really anything less than 1 foot. So when the parents and relatives (and the mrs) asks for closeup's, the 1.8 cannot deliver.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Dutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond reputeDutchnick has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, if you're heading into 17-35 territory you may as well look into the 70-200mm 2.8. It's terribly expensive but my god, it's a great lens. However, both lenses work best on a full-frame Nikon versus the D90 you currently have.

The fact is, the 18-200 just does not work that well in low light (especially for action photography). It's simply too slow. The best, and only ways you can correct this is by either using a flash or boosting your ISO to 800 or 1600.

IMO dishing out the extra cash for a 17-35 or a 70-200 (however awesome they are) cannot be justified, unless you plan on buying a full-frame DSLR in the near future or if you plan on heading into professional photography (OR if you're loaded).

So yes, my conclusion. The 18-200 is the best bang for the buck, although it's not that awesome in low light.

Last edited by Dutchnick; 07-24-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Official Teamspeed Duck's Fan
BuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzedHornet has a reputation beyond repute
The 85 1.8 will do great portrait work. As mentioned above the 18-200 is a great walk around flexible lens. It isn't nearly as sharp or as nice in low light as the 85 prime would be. Or you could just grow a pair and get the 70-200 2.8 VRII, sharp as hell and fast, fast, fast...

BTW, don't trust Rockwell, his reviews are shit and many of his reviews that he says are hands on are not, he hasn't even had the product in his hands and he writes reviews. He has a disclaimer (hard to find, but it is there) that says something to the effect that his reviews are for entertainment value only and not to base a purchase off them.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by Dutchnick
Wow, if you're heading into 17-35 territory you may as well look into the 70-200mm 2.8. It's terribly expensive but my god, it's a great lens. However, both lenses work best on a full-frame Nikon versus the D90 you currently have.
Right, the D90 is DX and not FX.

Ken's website and other places were saying that the biggest problem with using FX lens on the D90 is the corner distortion, and that this lens is really more made for the D90:

Nikon 10-24mm

Old 07-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
^^yes, take that into account.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
Originally Posted by BuzzedHornet
The 85 1.8 will do great portrait work. As mentioned above the 18-200 is a great walk around flexible lens. It isn't nearly as sharp or as nice in low light as the 85 prime would be. Or you could just grow a pair and get the 70-200 2.8 VRII, sharp as hell and fast, fast, fast...

Yeah, price is not the issue so much as practicality. It's kind of enormous. Which is why I am looking for a zoom that isn't too much bigger than my 1.8 prime. If it's too big we just won't bring it with us, chasing two little kids and all.

Quick Reply: Need a good ZOOM lens for my D90