Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Nikon D3100

Old 04-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Teamspeed Pro
big_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond reputebig_slacker has a reputation beyond repute
Nikon D3100

Forgot about this sub forum and went on off topic first. But what are you guys thoughts on the nikon D3100? I'm not looking to get into photography as a hobby, just want something for baby, vacation and around Tahoe pics. Anything else in the $500-600 with lens range I should be looking at?

Also, 18-55mm fine for general use, what to get for a zoom?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Teamspeed Cigarette Racer
Location: Blue Lake Tahoe, San Francisco, Monterey and beyond
gociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud ofgociggie31 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by big_slacker
Forgot about this sub forum and went on off topic first. But what are you guys thoughts on the nikon D3100? I'm not looking to get into photography as a hobby, just want something for baby, vacation and around Tahoe pics. Anything else in the $500-600 with lens range I should be looking at?

Also, 18-55mm fine for general use, what to get for a zoom?
Hi there neighbor! Nice car ya got on your Avatar!
A friend of mine has one, and really enjoys it as a lightweight dslr that enjoys/needs good light to shine.
So, IMHO, general outdoors with good light, chasing kids and vacation, landscape, scenery, it is an awesome performer. However, if you are going to be chasing kids in low light (indoors, school gyms), i would think that you may want to get something that performs better in very low light or has some ability to take a good selection of fast lens for flexibility. This body is a bit limiting meaning that it does not have an in-camera lens motor, so extra lens choices (like macros, close-ups, for school gyms) are reduced. If you still want to stay with the Nikon sytem and can expand your budget a bit then spring for the d7000 or a d90 body only, it would be good investment. Start with a 35 1.8 and the 18-200vrII lens, then you could run with the best of them (in most lighting conditions) until the photo bug addiction gets ya...and it will ...IMHO.
happy shootin'

Last edited by gociggie31; 04-30-2011 at 12:28 PM.