Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Advice for SLR Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Wout_RC is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice for SLR Camera?

Hi,

i'm relative new here, and i love all the pics on this site here... i'm just dreaming off taking such nice pics like you guys..

so my question is what SLR camera do you advice to start with...
i saw in a magazine the new nikon D3100 was a good starter but when i'm looking on the web i see the nicest pictures are almost always taken with canon
i've never used such SLR camera , so what do you advice ..
thx

Old 12-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Nikon vs Canon is a never ending story...
I am a Canon guy myself but you cannot go wrong whichever you go with

Old 12-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GrayTT
Nikon vs Canon is a never ending story...
I am a Canon guy myself but you cannot go wrong whichever you go with
I'm a Nikon guy but GrayTT is absolutely right. Both manufacturers make fantastic cameras at all levels of the price sprectrum. I'd recommend going to the camera store and holding a few cameras from both Canon and Nikon to see which feels better in your hands, has a good layout for the controls that fits you, and fits in your price range. That's the best way to do it, imo.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
Alex... are you talking about a camera?

Old 12-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GrayTT
Alex... are you talking about a camera?
I'm talking about all of the finer things in life, cameras included.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Teamspeed Poster Extraordinaire
McRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond reputeMcRae has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alzilla
I'm a Nikon guy but GrayTT is absolutely right. Both manufacturers make fantastic cameras at all levels of the price sprectrum. I'd recommend going to the camera store and holding a few cameras from both Canon and Nikon to see which feels better in your hands, has a good layout for the controls that fits you, and fits in your price range. That's the best way to do it, imo.
well put!!!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
It is all about the way it feels in your hand.

Lots of Nikon goin' on.

I use an 'ancient' D80 by everyone elses standards.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Wout_RC is an unknown quantity at this point
Thnx guys for the reactions,
yesterday went to the store and got some cameras in my hands to get a little bit the feeling. I must say i feel good with both,so no i have some cameras were i can choose from. They are all in the same priceclass, but wath do you think is the best choice?
maybe you guys know if it is a good model ...
the choice go between the nikon D3100, nikon D5000, canon EOS 500D and the canon eos 1000D.
I think there are some older models between, but you know maybe they had some good reviews of you guys and you can advice?
so tell me what you think, or do i have to go with the newest model the nikon D3100?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
but your money in the glass... body to me comes second

Old 12-07-2010, 12:14 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputeDamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Check out the reviews on dpreview.com. It was a big help to me to be able to put them together and see side-by-side. I'm still undecided, but pretty sure I'm going to go the 3100 route. Seems like a GREAT camera for the money.

May want to check out a Canon SX30IS too. For $250 cheaper it may fit your bill just fine. It's a hybrid, but with a lot of horsepower...

Quick Reply: Advice for SLR Camera?