Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Which Nikon lens for general photos and wide angle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Which Nikon lens for general photos and wide angle?

I'm looking at buying 2 new lenses. Preferably Nikon as I have found their quality to be the best.

I'm not sure what general lens to buy. The Nikon 24-70mm F2.8 sounds quite nice, but I think it might be a bit on the big side to carry around.

The wide angle I'm looking at is the Nikon 14-24mm F2.8 as I hear it's one of the best. Would just like to reconfirm that.

Appreciate any of the gurus that are on here and their opinions!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:03 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!calypso You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Im no expert, but the guru at the office says you cant go wrong with those. And that the 24-70mm isnt that big once its on.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Mike, you are correct. Both of those lenses are absolutely superb. The 24-70 is a little on the big side but it's not that bad and will balance nicely on your D3s.

The 14-24 and 24-70 are part of what Nikon users call "The Trinity" which also includes the 70-200 f/2.8. Those three lenses are staples in just about any Nikon user's bag.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Mike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond reputeMike S has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys, ordered the two. Should be here in a day or two!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
I have the trinity and they're a killer combination to have. They are a bit big but you get used to it. The images makes it well worth it. I also picked up the new 28-300 which gives you incredible range and would be a great lens to travel with if you don't want to bring a bunch of lenses. It's not as "sharp" as the 3 from the trinity but it's still fairly good for what it does. Maybe buy another one?

Old 11-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Teamspeed Pro
VKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond reputeVKING has a reputation beyond repute
I just got the 55 300 vr lens. Just started playing with it and so far I love it! Great range..I also have the 18 55 which came with my d5000. I've been researching the 12 24 lens...Expensive but well worth it.Thats my next lens for sure.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by atomic80
I have the trinity and they're a killer combination to have. They are a bit big but you get used to it. The images makes it well worth it. I also picked up the new 28-300 which gives you incredible range and would be a great lens to travel with if you don't want to bring a bunch of lenses. It's not as "sharp" as the 3 from the trinity but it's still fairly good for what it does. Maybe buy another one?
Thanks for the input Jason. Really valued coming from you concerning this gear

Just one thing though. I think I need a luggage set, this stuff is HEAVY

Old 12-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Bronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond reputeBronto has a reputation beyond repute
That's what happens when you get into photography! I would recommend one of the Lowepro bags. One of the bigger benefits is that they don't look like camerabags so they don't attract too much attention. I got the 200 and am really satisfied with it! Got a Canon EOS 50D, 16-35mm lens, 85mm lens, 430EX flash and some batteries and cards etc in that. Check out their site for what you think you'll need

Lowepro - SlingShot 200 AW

Old 12-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!O2Supply You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by VKING
I just got the 55 300 vr lens. Just started playing with it and so far I love it! Great range..I also have the 18 55 which came with my d5000. I've been researching the 12 24 lens...Expensive but well worth it.Thats my next lens for sure.
If you are thinking its too expensive look into the Sigma 10-22. It is actually really nice.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Photographer Extraordinaire
atomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond reputeatomic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mike S
Thanks for the input Jason. Really valued coming from you concerning this gear

Just one thing though. I think I need a luggage set, this stuff is HEAVY
Yes, unfortunately, Mike...these gear do get pretty heavy. I have to hit the gym just so I can carry this stuff! That's why I recommended the 28-300 as an alternative if you wanted to bring just one lens with you on your travels. I've been consistently impressed with this lens thus so far and I've got a LOT of other lens to pick from too. But the 24-70 is by far my most frequently used high end lens. I use the 14-24 the least. I use the 70-200 more. Feel free to ask me any other questions that you might have.

Quick Reply: Which Nikon lens for general photos and wide angle?