Notices
Photography | Art Show off your artistic side! Talk about the latest gear and trends in the world of photography and fine Art here!

Time for a new serious P&S: s95, D-lux 5, lumix lx-5, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Teamspeed Pro
eshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond repute
Time for a new serious P&S: s95, D-lux 5, lumix lx-5, etc...

To carry in my gear bag and everywhere I don't feel like dragging out the big guns with the SLR. Will replace my sx200IS, so the newer sx210 has already been eliminated...

The short list:
-canon s95
-leica D-Lux 5
-panny lumix DMC LX-5
-anything else I'm overlooking at the moment...

Req's, in order of importance:
-must actually fit in my pocket, no exceptions
-usual compliment of full manual controls not found on the cheaper/user friendly series digi's
-28mm or wider lens, f2 or better, optical zoom not as important
-ability to adjust aperture, optical zoom, etc while shooting HD and at least 24+fps, 29.97 would be nice
-$ no object of course
-rest of the features I expect usually come with the $ territory

What have the photog's here picked up recently or currently considering? Anyone gotten their hands on this new leica yet?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
I also have the SX200IS, and I just picked up the Panny LX-5 yesterday. Haven't had a chance to really mess with it yet. I also considered the G12, and the new Nikon P7000 which is not out yet. Most of the guys at the store agreed that the LX-5 was tops as far as image quality.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
eshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond reputeeshaun has a reputation beyond repute
Cool, where did you pick it up? The panny has some advantage on spec, but size is also my chief consideration. The camera that doesnt fit in my jeans pocket is the one that doesn't come with me...

Canon S95:
3.93 x 2.30 x 1.16"
170g

Panasonic LX5:
4.32 x 2.58 x 1.69"
233g

LX5 is about 3/8" wider, 1/4" taller, and 1/2" thicker, don't really care that its 63g heavier tho