Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 R8 Spyder here I come...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by krenshaw
I would normally just say, "^^ THIS". But, I'm probably a little biased toward Suzuka

While I think the whiter colors show off the R8's lines a bit better, you could go with the complete opposite with Phantom black. It's sooo sinister looking on the R8.

Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong. Good luck & have fun!

Yeah..totally agree re: black.

There's a phantom black GT Spyder at our local dealership that is sweet...

Picture doesn't do it justice...too bad they're all r-tronics...

Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 AM
XTO
Teamspeed Member
XTO is on a distinguished roadXTO is on a distinguished roadXTO is on a distinguished roadXTO is on a distinguished roadXTO is on a distinguished roadXTO is on a distinguished road
Hi alin,

Welcome to the fold ( soon!)

Lovely car you have. I too had looked into purchaseing a turbo s, wanted the cabrio. But porsche have become to "common" and i also felt that there was no drama in the driving experience. also i hated the exhaust noise of the car, no soul. So went for a V10 spider. No regrets.

The power delivery is different and preformace even in a v10 compared to a TT's will be lacking. But the overall experience is 10 times better. The Howl of the V10 at close to 9,000 RPM is like nothing you'd experience in the porsche.

Pottering around town, you will see no difference in the drive. i have not had the opportunity to really push a TTs to its limits. But an R8 on the limit is extremely FUN!

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 AM
TEAMSPEED.COM
Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Omar@VelosDesignwerks You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Big fan of the spyders, had a chance to work on another one recently. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
This is the color I would pick...

Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM
TEAMSPEED.COM
John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!John@LLV You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
You will love the R8!

Old 01-23-2013, 03:46 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by alin2.5
...I think...

I love my...

It's an unbelievable combination of tradition, cutting edge technology, everday drivability, and jaw dropping performance. The PDK transmission is flawless and makes the 911 TT-S almost brutal in its performance when laying the hammer on the accelerator.

But, I now find the car almost clinical in performance. And, as lame as this sounds, I just don't find it as dramatic or "an experience" as often as I would hope getting in and turning the ignition. I miss rowing the gears with my right hand and left foot. The "snick" of the paddles and the perfect rev matched downshift seems detached to me now. This sounds amazingly spoiled, I know, but something is missing even though I have owned an iteration of a 911 for a decade now. Frankly, I miss a bit of the drama of owning a sports car.

Another problem is that with the incursion of "life" I have only had this beauty on the track twice in the past 2 years...Way too few times to experience even half of its performance capabilities...

So...lo and behold while my wife is shopping for a Q7 to replace the family SUV, I hop into a 2012 R8 V8 Spyder to tool around in. Wow. Having never owned a roadster, this is a revelation! The sound of the V8 was glorious. And, that is with the top up. And, the lines of the Spyder were dramatic for me.

Thus, the idiot I am, I am now on the list for a 2014 R8 V10 Spyder...sigh...when will the car ADD stop?
I just did this trade from a 2012 Turbo S too R8 V10 Spider 6 speed. PM me and I can give you a solid review.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute

Only thing that is a must for me is the ceramics. I've gotten used to their feeling on my TT-S and would prefer them...although their even more expensive then their Porsche brethren!

Can't really decide on a color.

That said...I really can't decide on going more sedate like Daytona gray or more loud like Sepang Blue or Samoa orange...

But, this whole thing depends on trade in value, etc.
My R8 has Ceramics yes very pricey the feel and stopping is alot better than the P Car Ceramics (I had them on 3 997's).

As I said above PM me ... I can help

Marc

Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Originally Posted by SpeedEvo
Since you're buying a manual, why not get the current generation model in manual? IMO, the 2014 looks worse and I'd only get it if I was in the market for an automatic. I'm sure the current 2012/13 models will take a hit price-wise with the updated R8 coming out.
Exactly this is the reason I bought a 2012 there is no 2013 MY .. the new front end is ugly..

Old 01-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
z356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond reputez356 has a reputation beyond repute
On the R8 Spyder Used Market in US today!

Originally Posted by SpeedEvo
Since you're buying a manual, why not get the current generation model in manual? IMO, the 2014 looks worse and I'd only get it if I was in the market for an automatic. I'm sure the current 2012/13 models will take a hit price-wise with the updated R8 coming out.
You make a good point, and I'm looking around for a 2012 or lightly used 2011 6 MT V10 Spyder.
alin2.5; I just bought a low mileage MY2011 R8 v8 Spyder. I did a bit of market research before my purchase. My case is not typical since I needed to trade-in a 2007 CL600. I just recently started two threads over at R8Talk on the subject matter. I will duplicate them in this forum to see what type of discussions it generates. The first thread involves my particular research re: v8 Spyders, and not the v10 Spyders you are looking for. But perhaps someone else considering a v8 R8 at this time may find it useful. The second thread is a general topic & applies to the entire R8 market in the US today. The title reads: "Why did Audi not offered the MY2013 R8 in North America?". And the answer to that question might give you a hint as to what is happening in the R8 market right at this moment and why you will be able to negotiate a buy of a lifetime on this model!

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
You may want to consider Malachite metallic (an awesome green), Nordlichtblau (a nice blue metallic), or Gris Aster metallic (a nice gray). You can check them out on the German konfigurator
Chris, I am with you on this point. If you are going to order a MY2014 R8, you need to seriously consider a 'Paint to Sample' optional color provided by 'Audi Exclusive'! When I studied the R8 market back in 2010, I had discussions with 'AE' about ordering a 'Solar Orange' R8. The latter color is already offered by Audi in other models, so it would only cost an additional $2500 to order it on an R8! That is a bargain when you compare it to $5500 which Porsche charges for any PTS color! Unfortunately, if you do prefer the Malachite or other colors not in current Audi production, the Audi charge for PTS goes up dramatically!

Also good to know is that for MY2014, AudiUSA will allow North American customers to order deviating stitching in 'Madras Orange' on a Black leather interior. It will be very inexpensive, just like deviating 'Red' stitching is on the MY'12. So a 'Solar Orange' R8 with 'Madras Orange' deviating stitching on a Black full leather interior would be a combination I could not resist if I was ordering a brand new R8 in the near future!

Originally Posted by XTO
The power delivery is different and preformace even in a v10 compared to a TT's will be lacking. But the overall experience is 10 times better. The Howl of the V10 at close to 9,000 RPM is like nothing you'd experience in the porsche.
Beautiful Spyder, XTO! You have the interior color I would have wished on my R8!

Originally Posted by Marc
I just did this trade from a 2012 Turbo S too R8 V10 Spider 6 speed. PM me and I can give you a solid review.
Marc: I think all of us would be interested in your thoughts on your new R8 v10! Why don't you post your review here so that we can all benefit from your comparison & experiences with both the Porsche and the Audi!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond reputealin2.5 has a reputation beyond repute
^^^

Still no luck finding a 2012 V10 spyder with the options I prefer. It's looking more and more likely I'll need to order a 2014...and be the idiot that takes the initial depreciation spank... The again, my loss will be someone's gain when this car gets traded in...my way of paying it forward.

How do you like the lava gray?

No one tell CfC, but I'm really thinking about a dark gray or black to contrast with the exotic shape rather than going with a bright color that accentuates the "in your face" aspect of the Spyder...

Quick Reply: 2014 R8 Spyder here I come...