Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage II TTRS Update

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
Stage II TTRS Update

It's been a while since I've been here, on the forum. Just thought I'd post a little update on the TTRS.

The car is now in Stage II 'Beta' tune. I'm working with European Performance Labs (EPL) here in Connecticut to develop this tune with them, so it's still a work in progress.

First of all, for anyone thinking about working with Tony Chick and the EPL crew, they are a first class operation. I couldn't be happier with the progress of my car so far.

Numbers wise, I'm thoroughly impressed. Since wheel numbers are where it's at, those are the results I'm posting here. A lot of tuners like to post up their calculated crank HP numbers, but to me, that doesn't tell me anything. So, anyway, the car is now making 406 ft-lbs of torque and 341 hp at the wheels. The hp numbers are lacking a little bit, but I'll explain later.

I'm hugely impressed with the torque numbers. For comparison sake, here's some quick date I looked up online of comparable cars' wheel torque readings on a Mustang dyno:

GIAC Tuned R8 V10: 372 ft-lbs (3803 lb curb weight)
Stock 997.1 Turbo: 401 ft-lbs (3500 lb curb weight)
Stock '09 GTR: 414 ft-lbs (3850 lb curb weight)

I threw in their respective curb weights, just to give you an idea, versus the 3200 lb weight of the TTRS.

Now, I know it's not a true apples to apples comparison, but it does give you an idea of the ballpark this car is playing in. Simply put, the car pulls HARD and is very quick.

Here's the dyno chart showing my baseline - which isn't a true baseline because I already had the FMIC, and full exhaust on the car for the both the Stage I, and Stage II runs. But it's close enough as those parts don't really yield a huge performance increase on their own. All runs were done on a relatively cool but humid 70 degree day.

As you can see, the horsepower numbers start trailing off right after about 5600 rpm. We've determined that is a fault of the factory wastegate. It's dumping pressure right now where the turbo still safely has more to give. EPL have seen this happen with other 5 cyl Audi tunes, so it should be a relatively straightforward fix. We're going to work to develop a modified wastegate system (actuator/bracket/piping) at some point over the winter. They expect I should see another 20-25hp and be able to smooth out and hold the peak torque numbers a bit longer after this modification.

Here's a vid of one of the many pulls on the dyno during the tuning process.

Hope you guys enjoyed the write up. I know it's a little lengthy, but just wanted to give as much info as possible. Any questions, please feel free to ask away!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Dude your car is sick! And beautiful! Thanks for posting this up! Very very sweet stuff! I bet its a blast driving. Your torque numbers are a little lower than mine and your car weights a little less (I'm around 475 and weight is about 3500) and I can tell you, that is alot of torque for its size! Have fun and be safe! And get me some more pics of that beauty!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 AM
R5T
Teamspeed Senior Member
R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by krenshaw

?????

How much power do you have 341 hp. ?????

Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by R5T
?????

How much power do you have 341 hp. ?????
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:42 PM
R5T
Teamspeed Senior Member
R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!R5T You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by krenshaw
I'm sorry, I don't understand your question.
The dyno sheet is not very clear in hou much power you have.
The highest number i see is 341.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!TheStigSC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by R5T
The dyno sheet is not very clear in hou much power you have.
The highest number i see is 341.
He said in the OP that 341 is his peak whp number....I don't understand the confusion?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM
R5T
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by TheStigSC
He said in the OP that 341 is his peak whp number....I don't understand the confusion?
The sheet say eng power, not WHP.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by R5T
The sheet say eng power, not WHP.
The only way to measure that would be to remove the engine, install the kit and run it on an engine dyno. I believe it's safe to say that is at the wheel.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by yzracer931
The only way to measure that would be to remove the engine, install the kit and run it on an engine dyno. I believe it's safe to say that is at the wheel.
You are absolutely correct. The report is wheel horsepower. Those familiar with Mustang Dyno charts will see that they typically read "Eng. Torque" and "Eng Power" on the charts. But, it's wheel horsepower.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by TheStigSC
Dude your car is sick! And beautiful! Thanks for posting this up! Very very sweet stuff! I bet its a blast driving. Your torque numbers are a little lower than mine and your car weights a little less (I'm around 475 and weight is about 3500) and I can tell you, that is alot of torque for its size! Have fun and be safe! And get me some more pics of that beauty!
Thanks for the kind words! It is an absolute blast to drive. And your 'Stang must be incredible to drive too -- that's quite a list of mods you have there! Very awesome.

And here's a couple more pics, per your request

Interior:

Couple more exterior:

Quick Reply: Stage II TTRS Update