Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new TT-RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
My new TT-RS

Hey Teamspeeders,
Well, it’s official… I traded in my Cayman S this weekend and took delivery of my new TT-RS. I’m seriously stoked!!!

The specs:
Suzuka Gray Pearl, Titanium package wheels with black leather interior. Options are pretty basic: Most importantly, the sports exhaust (which comes w/ the titanium package), and heated seats. I skipped the MMI/navigation package because, frankly, I really wasn’t that impressed with it. It’s the same system used in the A3’s for the past few years and nowhere near as good as the MMI in my wife’s A5. I’ll be searching the aftermarket for a good replacement with nav, etc. and hopefully end up with a far better system.

The review:

The exterior: If you haven’t seen one of these in the flesh, I recommend you do so. It is so much less “TT-ish” in person and you really notice all the little exterior improvements that really make this car worth of the RS badge. This car has gotten a ton of looks in these first couple days, and I’ve even had two separate occasions of people catching up to me on the highway to snap a pic (never had that in my Cayman S). The Suzuka Gray color is outstanding. In photos it often comes off looking white, but once you see it next to anything white in color, you realize just how different it is. The colors drastically change depending on light conditions from a white to silver/gray to a blueish hue. It’s really a fantastic color and I couldn’t be happier with it. And, to me, the titanium wheels really set the whole package off. Where I was truly sold on the exterior looks was when I ended up parking it right next to my Cayman after the test drive. Seeing them side-by-side, the TT-RS just seems to have so much more ‘presence.’

The interior: Typical Audi perfection. There are a couple extra leather and aluminum bits added over the standard TT / TT-S interior that really make this driver’s seat a great place to be. The seats are extremely comfortable and supportive. They’re not quite as snug as the sport seats in my CS were and I do move a bit during tight corning maneuvers, but since this is a daily driver, I’m actually quite pleased with the increased room for comfort. I’m a fairly big guy at 6’3” and feel as though there is a bit more headroom than my CS and lots more leg room. The flat-bottom RS steering wheel is also a fantastic piece. It’s nice & think and feels just right in my hands. In all, the interior of this car makes for a much better touring car than my CS did -- I should note, realizing the CS was never meant to be a tourer, I never had any problems using the CS for long trips; it’s just that the TT-RS is that much better, and I figured it’s helpful to compare them, since they’re both pretty much in the same market segment.

The performance: It’s quick -- surprisingly quick. The TT-RS feels substantially quicker than the Cayman S was – particularly because, in paper, it is. There’s minimal turbo lag both accelerating quickly from a stop or even freeway passing/cruising. However, when the turbo does spool up, it absolutely kicks. Even under ‘normal’ driving, the TT-RS also builds speed so effortlessly. It’s easy to stray into triple digit territory without actually knowing it.

And then there’s the sound – oh that luscious i-5 sound. From its low rumble at idle, to the way it bellows on the way up to redline, this car has the most intoxicating sound of anything I’ve ever driven (well, except for my buddy’s Ferrari 360!). I basically leave the car in Sport mode all the time which, for those that don’t know, opens up the flap that normally seals the left exhaust pipe and releases all of that aural goodness.
The sport button also sharpens throttle response, but not nearly to the degree that the Sport Chrono did in my CS. The TT-RS sport mode is much more liveable for everyday city/highway driving. The sport mode also firms the suspension, but again it’s extremely liveable in daily driving conditions. Driving this car on Connecticut’s notoriously crappy road surfaces, the magnetic suspension soaks up the bumps brilliantly, while still providing tons of feedback and a bare minimum of body roll. Large bumps in the road that would normally jar & even make the CS jittery and skiddish, are much more comfortably dealt with in the TT-RS, all while staying firmly planted. Overall, the RS just feels much more sure footed.

The handling is pretty much on par (so far) compared to the Cayman S. There is just so much grip available with this car, it’s ridiculous. Now, I’m admittedly far from an expert driver, but the RS instills so much confidence that it’s just silly. It’s really a point & shoot sort of experience. The steering feel, due to the electronically variable unit, is extremely light and almost luxury car-like at slow speeds and really firms up nicely when the speedo needle starts to climb.

Sorry for the long-winded review – I was trying to get all of my thoughts out at once. And, in doing so, I’m sure I’ve also missed a few items here and there. Please feel free to ask any questions and I’ll be more than happy to answer.

Cliff notes: It’s awesome.

The pics: I haven’t done a proper introductory photoshoot yet. I’ve been too damn busy driving this little beasty. Here are a few snaps from yesterday evening. Unfortunately, I only had my little PnS on me, but I’ll try to get some better pics, including interior shorts, soon.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! It's a great car

Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
AudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond reputeAudiRS has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! That is a phenomenal entry level sports car. Would love to have it as a second car. Enjoy

Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
rangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond reputerangieboy17 has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats!

Last edited by rangieboy17; 12-12-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
parealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond reputeparealtor has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up. Thanks. Hoping to check one out at my local dealer in a week or so

Old 12-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations! The TT-RS is a hit for Audi. I love the 5 cyl turbo and would love to own one! You got the right color too...it's pretty hard to beat Suzuka.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Teamspeed Pro
krenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond reputekrenshaw has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys! I'm absolutely loving it so far (if you couldn't tell from my writeup ).

Old 12-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats man! Looks great in Suzuka Grey! I hope you continue to enjoy it!

Old 12-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Former Sponsor
ADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond reputeADV.1 Tony has a reputation beyond repute
Any plan to tune it?

Old 12-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
GrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond reputeGrayTT has a reputation beyond repute
CongratZ!!!