Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi Smokes BMW? 2010 Audi S4 vs. 2009 BMW 335i

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ECB
Inline 6 please...
this would be like blasphemy to Bimmers
OOoooppss You caught me on that one!! My Bad - I just always go to the V.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Teamspeed Member
h82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to beholdh82bslow is a splendid one to behold
ECB, good point...

But not too long ago Bimmer afficionados would be (and still are) crying over their movement from NA M engines to Twin Turbo set-ups...

But to Tommy's post, exactly how much tuning potential can really come from a blown V6? I mean adding a supercharger to a V6, especially one coupled with a four-wheel drive system as complicated as Audis will most likely prevent anyone from seeing more than 80+ hp gains without also seeing considerable wear-and-tear from all the moving parts. I wish they had reincarnated the old 2.7TT engine from the B5s, just because in the first few years of release not much progress can be made with proving its everyday reliability. Remember all those guys trying to supercharge their 350Zs and G35s, they all finally switched to TT, even though the S4s probably can't have that same option. What is the engines (B8 S4)'s compression ratio? If it's more than 11:1 then adding 100 horsepower, which is what I would want, would not seem that possible without compromising full reliability. And at that point, why not buy something that comes stock with a warranty for that much?

Oh, and Tommy go to bmwusa. com and build yourself a 335xi with all the options you'd want on a similar B8 S4 and you will find their prices to be much closer than you realized...not trying to be an *** just trying to weigh some options as I had the B7 RS4 and loved that car to death, I just wished it were as fast in a straightline as the stock C63. But then again, my RS4 w/ Blizzaks could suck the doors off ANY car in a blizzard busting 80+ with snow on the ground. You just need some racing background to feel more comfortable (like a Skip Barber Racing School degree)...

Last edited by h82bslow; 10-15-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:16 PM
TS BMW Forums
mtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond reputemtechnik has a reputation beyond repute
I like both cars and I'm not here to start a Munich vs Ingolstadt war. If I were in the market for a sports sedan, had $60 grand to spend, and compared these 2 cars exactly the way Edumuds IL spec'ed them...I'd sign the papers for a E90 335i, and spend the premium I would have shelled for an S4 on engine/suspension tuning.

This was not an apples to apples comparo. 1. Have Audi make a RWD S4 and retest. 2. Add more options to the 335 test car. 3. Test a 335xi

In the end you can't go wrong with either sedan. Just depends on which badge you like more.

If BMW replaces the S65 V8 with a TTV6 in the current gen BMW M3, that would make for a fun shoot out with the current gen Audi RS5.

h82bslow: I'm not one of those crying about BMW's movement into FI M cars. I would love to trade up my 328i.

Last edited by mtechnik; 10-15-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Teamspeed Member
BlueSander is a name known to allBlueSander is a name known to allBlueSander is a name known to allBlueSander is a name known to allBlueSander is a name known to allBlueSander is a name known to allBlueSander is a name known to allBlueSander is a name known to allBlueSander is a name known to allBlueSander is a name known to allBlueSander is a name known to all
Originally Posted by mtechnik
I like both cars and I'm not here to start a Munich vs Ingolstadt war. If I were in the market for a sports sedan, had $60 grand to spend, and compared these 2 cars exactly the way Edumuds IL spec'ed them...I'd sign the papers for a E90 335i, and spend the premium I would have shelled for an S4 on engine/suspension tuning.

This was not an apples to apples comparo. 1. Have Audi make a RWD S4 and retest. 2. Add more options to the 335 test car. 3. Test a 335xi

In the end you can't go wrong with either sedan. Just depends on which badge you like more.

If BMW replaces the S65 V8 with a TTV6 in the current gen BMW M3, that would make for a fun shoot out with the current gen Audi RS5.

h82bslow: I'm not one of those crying about BMW's movement into FI M cars. I would love to trade up my 328i.

Think about it, the S4 is AWD at the moment and still smoked the 335i. There is no way on earth the 335i can stand the RWD version of the S4. 335i perform much better than 335xi hence, 335xi won't stand a chance to either version of the S4.
Anyways, 335i against S4. I don't think it's an apple to apple comparison.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
wyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond reputewyatth has a reputation beyond repute
^ what he said

Old 10-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
crazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond reputecrazy1323 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fuel&Fire
I believe a fully loaded 335xi is priced comparable to the S4

I just find it amusing that Audi put its heavyweight A class (S4) against BMW's middleweight 3 series. Lets put the M3 sedan up against the S4
The issue of 335i Vs 335Xi for the comparo was discussed in the magazine.

Also, the M3 is no longer the S4's primary target. The S4 is going after the 335 as Audi has no other direct competitor for it. The M3 equivalent from Audi is the upcoming RS5. It would not be very fair to compare a 415 sports coupe to a 330hp sedan.

The drop in horsepower represents Audi's new target with this car. This is why the B8 S4 (the 2010+ model) haws less HP, costs less, and weighs less than the B6/B7 S4's (the 04-08).

Old 10-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
roccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond reputeroccoman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by h82bslow
ECB, good point...
But to Tommy's post, exactly how much tuning potential can really come from a blown V6? I mean adding a supercharger to a V6, especially one coupled with a four-wheel drive system as complicated as Audis will most likely prevent anyone from seeing more than 80+ hp gains without also seeing considerable wear-and-tear from all the moving parts. I wish they had reincarnated the old 2.7TT engine from the B5s, just because in the first few years of release not much progress can be made with proving its everyday reliability. Remember all those guys trying to supercharge their 350Zs and G35s, they all finally switched to TT, even though the S4s probably can't have that same option. What is the engines (B8 S4)'s compression ratio? If it's more than 11:1 then adding 100 horsepower, which is what I would want, would not seem that possible without compromising full reliability. And at that point, why not buy something that comes stock with a warranty for that much?
Well, Here is what Audi AG has already built (Q5 Wörthersee project), just for grins and giggles. Michael Dick @ Audi AG is well know for this kind of thing.

408hp 3.0T-Powered Audi Q5 Custom to Headline Ingolstadt's Worthersee Presence

Overview of the Audi Q5 custom concept
Engine:
3.0 TFSI, V6 gasoline engine with supercharging and FSI gasoline direct injection
Max. power output in kW (hp): 300 (408) at 6,000 – 7,000 rpm
Max. torque in Nm (lb-ft): 500 (369) at 3,000 – 5,500 rpm
Drivetrain: quattro permanent all-wheel drive
Gearbox: 7-speed S tronic
Top speed: 250 km/h (155 mph) (governed)
0 - 100 km/h (0 - 62 mph): 4.4 seconds
Paint: Daytona Gray matt with red applications on the rims, roof rails, front skirt and rear spoiler

Here is MTM's tuning program...stage 1, software only is 380hp. stage 2 is 430hp. give it a bit of time and APR will have their stuff out, I am sure that with software reflash, pulley, exhuast and maybe an intake, and you could easily be @ 450ish hp, without getting into a blower upgrade, or opening up the engine. I personally think the 3.0T will prove itself to be the 2nd new baby of the VAG tuning world.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
trashetanush is an unknown quantity at this point
I highly doubt the S4 cost 60 grand cuz the S5 fully loaded is 57k where i live. The S4 starts at around 45k i think. If i had to choose a car between these too, i would probably choose none and go for a coupe S5 for the money.