Notices
Performance Series Audi Models R8, S4, RS4, S5, RS5, S6, RS6, & S8 Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S5 owners: Thoughts so far?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
From a financial standpoint, I'm guessing that Audi's already crap lease program is even worse considering residuals. And, if you're financing or purchasing, payments would be similar between a used RS4 (with extended warranty) and a new S5.
Audi doesn't subsidize their lease like BMW does.

A lightly used RS4 is an absolute steal right now.

I still get tempted, then I realized that we have nowhere to put the car.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stuka
Audi doesn't subsidize their lease like BMW does.

A lightly used RS4 is an absolute steal right now.

I still get tempted, then I realized that we have nowhere to put the car.
It's a steal if you take the right steps to cover your ass. Especially important with these cars is finding a clean, well documented example, and purchasing an extended Audi warranty. I'm guessing as these cars start to age a little more and their warranty expires components like the DRC suspension will go, and they will be expensive.

Still, for upper $40K range, it's an awesome car.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
quattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond reputequattro joe has a reputation beyond repute
My S5 will be 2 years old in August and I have had a virtually trouble-free experience.

Used as a daily-driver, my S5 has never missed a beat and while the RS4 is quicker, from an outright performance perspective, I'm rarely left wanting more grunt.

At risk of broaching the touchy issue of comparing with BMW 335i and M3's, they really are different cars for different driving styles. Without doubt, M3 is quicker and more of a sports car while the S5 is more of a GT. IMHO the S5 has more of a presence than the M3.

I am still pleasantly surprised on a daily basis at the S5's head turning ability after nearly two years.

I would thoroughly recommend the S5 to anyone.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by quattro joe
My S5 will be 2 years old in August and I have had a virtually trouble-free experience.

Used as a daily-driver, my S5 has never missed a beat and while the RS4 is quicker, from an outright performance perspective, I'm rarely left wanting more grunt.

At risk of broaching the touchy issue of comparing with BMW 335i and M3's, they really are different cars for different driving styles. Without doubt, M3 is quicker and more of a sports car while the S5 is more of a GT. IMHO the S5 has more of a presence than the M3.

I am still pleasantly surprised on a daily basis at the S5's head turning ability after nearly two years.

I would thoroughly recommend the S5 to anyone.
Useful comments - thanks. Would you mind posting a few more pictures of your S5? I know quite a few of us really like it . . .

Old 05-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO the S5 has more of a presence than the M3.
I'll agree with you on that one.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:32 PM
Teamspeed's Mr. Spock
stuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond reputestuka has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of real world mpg are you getting?

Is DSG available on the S5? I have a 6speed in my S4 Avant, but I like the idea of DSG.

Audi really nailed the styling of the S5, the M3 looks really pedestrian in comparison.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:59 PM
TeH Ears
chokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond reputechokeu2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LABrit
I'd be eager to read a more thorough review if you have time comparing your thoughts on the two cars - e92 m3 and s5.

Choke - the s5 is gonna have a new engine in two years, i'd stay away until then.
That is an interesting point in regards to the change in engine... However...
I'm going to go nuts if I have to continue to drive my nice little, sedate, automatic sales guy DD much longer...

I LOVE the M3, but I also love the interior on the S5. The reason that is a factor is simply because my travels between Atlanta and DC are going to pick up, and I'd like to stay out of airports as much as possible. Easier to make the drive.

So, I'll look forward to that review.

I've been kicking this back and forth far too long at this point...

Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Teamspeed Pro
LABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond reputeLABrit has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by chokeu2
That is an interesting point in regards to the change in engine... However...
I'm going to go nuts if I have to continue to drive my nice little, sedate, automatic sales guy DD much longer...
I know your pain - i am driving my grandpa's second car, an old e-class benzo until i buy myself something.

It's about 12 years old, doesn't accelerate, is as big as a boat and guzzles fuel.

I actually kinda like driving a POS - it's low key, people don't **** with you (road rage in London is honestly out of control, i am shocked) because anyone driving around in an older car is deemed lower class and high risk to **** with and lastly i can leave it anywhere without worrying!

Choke - i know you are gonna whine soooo much if you buy an S5 and they come out with the newer engine in 2 years - V6TT > V8.

I drove the S5 in LA just after i bought my 997 'S' as my mate wanted to buy one and while it is quick - it is no sports car. I found it a little confused to be honest - the trunk was small, rear leg room pathetic and the seating position too high. The clutch was also WAY too light and had no feel.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 PM
The black sheep of the family.
vtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond reputevtgts300kw has a reputation beyond repute
At the end of the day, its an Audi, which, as LaBrit pointed out, has a crappy gearbox and clutch + 4WD.

M3 everyday of the week Brian. Everyday of the week.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond reputeSLC4S has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ but it aint confused about looking sexy....

as much a M3 fanboy that I am... the S5 is gorgeous.

Quick Reply: S5 owners: Thoughts so far?