Notices
Performance Boats Cigarette Racing Team, Donzi, Fountain, Outer Limits, Nor-Tech, Deep Impact, Formula, & More Discussion Forum.

BIG motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing that would bother me is that these are typically built on a small block and with 1300 horsepower on a v8 I would be really worried about tearing the engine up in 50 hours. The 1075's had a 100 hour life then had to be rebuilt. It does seem to be turbo charged though, and that could make it much better.

Then again, nowadays you don't need that kind of power to go that fast. In a 39 Top Gun with 700's you can hit 110, and in a 36-42 MTI you can hit 130-150 and the engine is far more reliable.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 PM
Teamspeed Member
LBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond reputeLBMA5820 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hernando
The only thing that would bother me is that these are typically built on a small block and with 1300 horsepower on a v8 I would be really worried about tearing the engine up in 50 hours. The 1075's had a 100 hour life then had to be rebuilt. It does seem to be turbo charged though, and that could make it much better.

Then again, nowadays you don't need that kind of power to go that fast. In a 39 Top Gun with 700's you can hit 110, and in a 36-42 MTI you can hit 130-150 and the engine is far more reliable.
I have talked to a number of people since these motors were introduced at the show.

These things are incredible! They are not based on the typical V8 architecture and are not pushrod V8's. This is Mercury's own design all the way to the Aluminum block. 9 Liters, four overhead cams and twin turbos all designed for big HP and TQ on 92 octane pump gas. Mercury is claiming that the main intervals are 1/3 what is required on a 1075.

Can't wait to see these things run.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Teamspeed's Florida Ambassador
Hernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond reputeHernando has a reputation beyond repute
Ahhhhhhhh I see.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:00 PM
JCL
Teamspeed Junior Member
JCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond reputeJCL has a reputation beyond repute

unlike the 1075HP this motor apparently has a 1yr warranty and around a 250hr rebuild....so it should be pretty nice, but it does cost a little more than a 1075.

Would be a great fit in some of Blume's boats!

Old 03-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
That is redunkulous. I love it.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
catmando is an unknown quantity at this point

552cid is not a "small block". Twin turbos and 4 overhead cams insure a long life.

The fastest MTI 700 boat is the new red 36 at 135. With 1075s the 42 runs 153-155. With these motors set at 1350hp the 42 should run almost 180.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Toasty is an unknown quantity at this point
wow

Old 01-24-2012, 01:13 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Renovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond reputeRenovatiopr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LBMA5820
I have talked to a number of people since these motors were introduced at the show.

These things are incredible! They are not based on the typical V8 architecture and are not pushrod V8's. This is Mercury's own design all the way to the Aluminum block. 9 Liters, four overhead cams and twin turbos all designed for big HP and TQ on 92 octane pump gas. Mercury is claiming that the main intervals are 1/3 what is required on a 1075.

Can't wait to see these things run.
Nice.....

Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
GoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond reputeGoFastKindaGuy has a reputation beyond repute
There are a number of articles on this engine on Mercury Racing's blog. Here is the first one...

Blog | Mercury Racing