Notices
GT GT2, GT3, RS, Carrera GT, 918, & Cup Cars Discussion Forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor oil...what's the best? What are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!DD GT3 RD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Motor oil...what's the best? What are you using?

I hear MOTUL and REDLINE are some of the best (I don't know if this is true at all).

I see top of the line cars like Ferraris and Porsche come with MOBIL1 so that has to mean something? Or just big money and marketing?

Any input? Motul? Redline? Royal Purple? Mobil1? Castrol?

I used to have a GT3 and have a Boss 302 now. Live in LA, CA so no cold weather. So curious to hear what you guys think and are using yourselves.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
SamWise has a reputation beyond reputeSamWise has a reputation beyond reputeSamWise has a reputation beyond reputeSamWise has a reputation beyond reputeSamWise has a reputation beyond reputeSamWise has a reputation beyond reputeSamWise has a reputation beyond reputeSamWise has a reputation beyond reputeSamWise has a reputation beyond reputeSamWise has a reputation beyond reputeSamWise has a reputation beyond repute
I have been running Mobil 1 0w-40 in my car for the last two cycles and have had no issues or complaints. It's especially nice during the colder months on start up.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:37 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
I've been running synthetic mobil one in my 73 911 seems to run smoother and cooler.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
KT
I give good hugs. Bo, you're first.
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SamWise
I have been running Mobil 1 0w-40 in my car for the last two cycles and have had no issues or complaints. It's especially nice during the colder months on start up.
I used that in my last car. It broke all the time, lol.

That's what Porsche recommends, I think they use another brand down at the shop but I was always topping off at home.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Teamspeed Pro
997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute997carrerasblk06 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KT
I used that in my last car. It broke all the time, lol.

That's what Porsche recommends, I think they use another brand down at the shop but I was always topping off at home.
that's nothing unusual I talked to my P mechanic and he said they have a panaugly that has been in their shop 4 times in 6 months and its brand new.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Teamspeed Pro
yzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond reputeyzracer931 has a reputation beyond repute
What you really want is zinc and phosphorous. These are going to be your wear agents. The API has regulated the amount of zinc levels to .08 percent, down from .15 of a few years ago mainly due to the harmful effects on catalytic converters. You can purchase these additives from a few oil companies, or run a racing oil. Joe Gibbs, Comp Cams, or a diesel oil like Rotella. While at school we would break our race engines in on Rotella because of the zinc levels it had in it.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Caio You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
I always used Mobil1 on my BMW's and Mercedes. Never had a problem. On my race cars I used Royal Purple many times...

Old 07-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Guest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond reputeGuest has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sean73T
I've been running synthetic mobil one in my 73 911 seems to run smoother and cooler.
No Brad Penn?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:12 AM
KT
I give good hugs. Bo, you're first.
KT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond reputeKT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 997carrerasblk06
that's nothing unusual I talked to my P mechanic and he said they have a panaugly that has been in their shop 4 times in 6 months and its brand new.
I had to read that 3 times because I was laughing so hard at your innovative term. Not.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 AM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Mobil 1.

Quick Reply: Motor oil...what's the best? What are you using?