Notices
Aventador | Huracán | Murcielago | Gallardo Aventador, Huracán, Murcielago, Gallardo, Superleggera, Coupe & Roadster Discussion Forum.

My first ticket in the SL - read this story (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:15 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
My first ticket in the SL - read this story (long)

This is long, but I couldn't leave out any details. I have mixed emotions about what happened today. None of this is exaggerated. I assumed this would come with the territory but damn.

I took my wife out to lunch in the city today and it was her first time in the new SL. I stopped to get gas and there was a cop sitting in the parking lot and thought nothing of it. Keep in mind I don't like to scare my wife so I never drive too fast or aggressive with her in the car.

I left the gas station and the on ramp to the freeway was about 200 yards away. I didn't floor it, or push the car too hard but this car is LOUD. We are stuck in the slow lane for 1/2 a mile in between a few semi trucks doing 60 mph. I'm up to about 70mph and I see blue lights behind me and another cop on the left shoulder and they agressively get me off to the side of the road.

At this point I'm thinking there's no way this is for speeding because I'm not speeding (I don't want my wife to worry when she's not with me). The cop behind me is tailing me and couldn't have been less than 5 feet behind me. He's pissed. I pull over and another cop car pulls in front of me.

Cop: License and proof of insurance
Me: I'm going to reach into the glove box, is that ok?
cop: fine. I got a call from another office down the road, said you were "delivering the mail" and we've been following you.
Me: Sir, that's IMPOSSIBLE (I was stuck behind trucks & purposely not speeding so I was adamant about it)
Cop: {attitude} "Impossible? "so it was another Asian male in a black lamborghini?"

(At this point i was really surprised he was talking to me like that, I don't look like a thug or criminal and I know i wasn't speeding, i was confused)

Cop: Who is this, your girlfriend?
Me: Um, no this is my wife and---- {cuts me off}
Cop: You have tinted tail lights, if someone is following you close because you're in a Lamborghini and you brake don't you want to protect her?
Me: of course, I'm so so sorry, I just bought this less than 24 hours ago and I will remove them immediately I don't even like them--- {cuts me off}
Cop: This is a Lamborghini!!! not a honda civic! you don't need those tail lights off ebay! This is a Lamborghini!
Me: {uhh... dude are you going to night stick me? what is going on?}
Cop: Also you shouldn't be speeding.
Me: Sir, with all due respect, I know I wasn't going fast at all I just got this thing and to be honest I'm afraid to drive it fast I {cuts me off}
Cop: a sargeant called it in, he said you were "delivering mail" are you saying he's lying

(at this point I'm scared, no one has ever talked to me like that. I was telling him the truth and he was accusing me of something that didn't happen. another cop car shows up, 3 in total now. 1 behind me, one next to me, one in front of me)

Cop: And another thing, I have an exotic myself, don't drive it fast on the freeway on a Tuesday at 1pm, go up to the mountains on an early morning and drive the wheels off of this thing.

Me: Ok, I'm sorry, but for what it's worth i wasn't {cuts me off}

sitting in my car sweating my ass off since for some reason the A/C doesn't turn on w/ out starting the car and i was afraid if I started it (loud start up) that he would be even more pissed. 20+ mins goes by.

Cop: Here's your ticket for the tail lights. Here's the court date, call this number to see how much it will cost. Right now everyone thinks you're getting a speeding ticket in your Lamborghini but it's not. You need to be more careful, this is not a honda civic you're going to attract a lot of attention you need to watch out.

Me: ok thank you officer.

Then I start the car up and take off. I was shaking and a little upset afterwards. If I did something wrong, slap me with a ticket and I admit fault but this is just not fair. The other cops that pulled up were laughing and smiling as they drove up and took off.

I called someone afterwards and they called him and it's been taken care of, so no ticket. Don't ask or I'll have to kill you, seriously.

What do you think? Get over it? That's what I get for getting a Lambo? Or borderline harassment? After lunch i was doing 65 in the slow lane and minivans were passing me-- I'm paranoid now.

True story, every bit of it.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
Sucks, but at least you know for sure that you're not driving a Honda Civic.

BTW, what the F does "delivering mail" mean? Do postal workers drive fast? I would think they drive slow because they have to stop at everyone's mail box. Confused . . . .

Old 08-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
^I would have asked the cop wtf 'delivering the mail' means. Not a good experience in your newly purchased Lambo, I'd be a little paranoid as well.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 PM
ATL
Teamspeed Pro
ATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond reputeATL has a reputation beyond repute
not to be captain obvious here but "delivering mail" = speeding? pony express?

Old 08-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Teamspeed Pro
mannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond repute
whats "delivering mail"? I've never heard that term before. Sounds like that officer had some beef with exotics. I doubt he had an exotic himself

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
That is total BS. Total harassment. What you did was the right thing by staying calm and polite. My buddy has a B6 S4 (20 years old) black, exhaust, and tinted windows and he gets harassed just like you.

Not to get off topic, but I'm sorry to hear what happened. I don't know what to suggest. If you know the cops badge number and or name maybe writing a letter?

I got it, it's because you haven't changed the wheels yet!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
You should have offered him a ride. That would have gotten you completely off the hook. Clearly, the guy was into cars . . .

Old 08-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Pics or it didn't happen. Seriously though, you've worked your ass of for this car. It would be sad to see your mood being downed by some stupid I-need-to-show-my-power-Officer. Enjoy it in great health and with a smile on your face!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Teamspeed Pro
"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute"The JC" has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JonA85
I got it, it's because you haven't changed the wheels yet!
Bingo, time to get rid of those shiny mofos.

Originally Posted by U Boat Commander
You should have offered him a ride. That would have gotten you completely off the hook. Clearly, the guy was into cars . . .
Easy, make your wife wait in the back of the squad car while you take Mr. Piggy for a ride.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
avalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant futureavalon53 has a brilliant future
Man the cop was a real hard ass...

And smh @ 'delivering the mail'

Quick Reply: My first ticket in the SL - read this story (long)