Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

Bought my first bike!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008 | 05:01 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JP-"S"
black/purple and yellow? Was the guy you bought it from named Tim? I have a cousin that lives in the LA area that just sold his 94 CBR600.
nah, wasn't. Bike is now a hideous krylon rattle can metallic blue. Going to paint it flat black and pinstripe the shit out of it

Old 07-11-2008 | 05:03 PM
Teamspeed's Official Shaikh
CondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond reputeCondorCGT has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
1994 CBR 600 F2. I had originally planned on buying a 2008 Ninja 250R. But after trying to locate one I found it nearly impossible.

I had a co-worker that was in a cash bind and needed to get rid of his F2....and is selling it to me for $900. I couldn't pass the chance up.

The bike needs some TLC, it was stolen for a week by a "friend" of his (no longer a friend). The guy busted the gas cap and the ignition so those need to be replaced. He also took a can of krylon to the paint. So I'm going to be repainting it as well.

Regardless, i'm pretty excited. I haven't ridden a bike since I was probably 8 years old. I am not picking the bike up until after I get my real license and pass the MSF class.

I know a 600 is a dangerous bike for a noob, but really. Any bike is. I feel i'm mature enough to keep my wrist from getting me in a lot of trouble on my own.
Congrats and stay safe

Old 07-11-2008 | 06:25 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Mr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond reputeMr Kram has a reputation beyond repute
be safe scott. i wanted another bike, but the wifey said nope.

Old 07-11-2008 | 06:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond reputealkyoneus has a reputation beyond repute
congrats, be careful though!

Old 07-12-2008 | 03:07 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mr Kram
be safe scott. i wanted another bike, but the wifey said nope.
yea, mine did too

Still have no clue how I pulled this one off. She's got to be hiding something big

Old 07-12-2008 | 03:09 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
pixxflix is on a distinguished roadpixxflix is on a distinguished roadpixxflix is on a distinguished roadpixxflix is on a distinguished roadpixxflix is on a distinguished roadpixxflix is on a distinguished road
ARE you taking your next trip on the bike ?

Old 07-12-2008 | 03:11 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond reputeSteveH has a reputation beyond repute
sounds like you have the right idea: take it really slowly. start by riding short distances on familiar roads. wearing full gear is a cost benefit analysis like anything else. it's certainly not comfortable or practical, but if you go down you'll damn sure wish you had it on.

Old 07-15-2008 | 09:43 PM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats. I had an F3 years ago...

Take the MSF. I don't agree with everything they say (covering the clutch and NOT covering the brake is just stupid, as is using all 4 fingers on the brake) but they'll teach you the basics like countersteering that are hard to learn from a book.

Good boots that cover your ankles are generally decent, but good moto-boots are the best there is. Ankles take a while to heal.

Textiles vary. There are three grades of textile: 300 600 and 1000. 1000 is really expensive so even high-end jackets just put it in impact zones. 300 is crap, it will literally melt (possibly into your skin) on any impact faster than ~25-30mph. The old Joe Rocket Phoenix jackets were famous for that. Stay away from Icon and the cheap JR stuff. If you want a textile stick with the better brands and take a good look at the material to see what grade it is. It should have good CE-rated armor in the impact zones, preferrably the dual density stuff (plastic on the outer edge and foam inside). And it should fit properly--this is important. If the armor moves when you crash it's useless.

And get some good pants too, knees are nice to have. Or at least some MX shin / knee guards to wear under jeans.

Good luck and ride safe. Take the MSF.