Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

Bought my first bike!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008 | 11:56 AM
|
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Bought my first bike!

1994 CBR 600 F2. I had originally planned on buying a 2008 Ninja 250R. But after trying to locate one I found it nearly impossible.

I had a co-worker that was in a cash bind and needed to get rid of his F2....and is selling it to me for $900. I couldn't pass the chance up.

The bike needs some TLC, it was stolen for a week by a "friend" of his (no longer a friend). The guy busted the gas cap and the ignition so those need to be replaced. He also took a can of krylon to the paint. So I'm going to be repainting it as well.

Regardless, i'm pretty excited. I haven't ridden a bike since I was probably 8 years old. I am not picking the bike up until after I get my real license and pass the MSF class.

I know a 600 is a dangerous bike for a noob, but really. Any bike is. I feel i'm mature enough to keep my wrist from getting me in a lot of trouble on my own.

Old 07-09-2008 | 11:16 PM
SAB
Teamspeed Pro
SAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats!

Get a good helmet, jacket, and gloves.

Be safe and enjoy it!

Old 07-09-2008 | 11:20 PM
AMGFanatic
MeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond reputeMeanMachine has a reputation beyond repute
Congratulations the CBR is a great bike, I personally like the yamaha's more.

Old 07-09-2008 | 11:59 PM
|
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SAB
Congrats!

Get a good helmet, jacket, and gloves.

Be safe and enjoy it!

yea, good news is my co-worker knows the owners of Icon, Joe Rocket, and HJC

BTW, do I really need boots? And how are the modern day textile jackets?

Old 07-10-2008 | 01:18 AM
I'm closing this thread.
Alex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond reputeAlex has a reputation beyond repute
Congrats! I would jump all over that too if I were so lucky. Told the gf today that I'm preparing to get a 250.

Old 07-10-2008 | 01:22 AM
Teamspeed Pro
tractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond reputetractorcrusher has a reputation beyond repute
Damn at that price how could anyone not buy it... Congrats on the purchase, keep the rubber side down!!

Old 07-10-2008 | 09:00 PM
SAB
Teamspeed Pro
SAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
yea, good news is my co-worker knows the owners of Icon, Joe Rocket, and HJC

BTW, do I really need boots? And how are the modern day textile jackets?

Do you really need feet? The big plus with boots is that they protect your ankles in a crash. Those round joints in your foot love to be ground down by asphalt if not protected. Boots will also give you a positive feel when shifting and breaking as they have just the right amount of stiffness to do both effectively. The choice is yours, but you can find some great used deals on ebay and craigslist without looking like a power ranger at the same time.

As for textile jackets, I've never been a fan. It's better than a t-shirt, but the range of protection is limited compared to leather. True, a good leather jacket is hotter than textile, but it's better to be sweating than to be bleeding. I'd stay away from joe rocket. Spend the extra cash and get yourself a used Vanson or Alpinestars. Good luck man!

PS - PICTURES!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2008 | 11:42 AM
|
Teamspeed Pro
I'll take some pictures after I clean it up and repaint it. It's really embarrassing to see today.

I won't be picking it up till after I take the MSF class (don't want it tempting me) and the closest date I could get was the first weekend of september. Cool news is, the wife is taking it with me

Old 07-11-2008 | 02:14 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome! Congrats and be safe. Wear all your gear, it's the only protection you have. And boots are absolutely necessary. I never ride without them.

Old 07-11-2008 | 04:01 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
JP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond reputeJP-"S" has a reputation beyond repute
black/purple and yellow? Was the guy you bought it from named Tim? I have a cousin that lives in the LA area that just sold his 94 CBR600.

Quick Reply: Bought my first bike!