Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

It's not 100%- but I'm close to pulling the trigger: 848 Evo versus preowned 1098?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Talking It's not 100%- but I'm close to pulling the trigger: 848 Evo versus preowned 1098?

I heard the 848 gets the 1098R brakes, better suspension and more HP.. and I'm not spending the money on a new 1198...

so, which one and why?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
I had a 1098 and that thing was the epic. I have also ridden an 848, but admittedly it was a <10 miles fairly tame ride. Based on my experience with both bikes (albeit limited w/ the 848), my vote would lean towards the 1098. The difference in power was substantial.

They are both fantastic machines and you will not go wrong either way, but IMHO the 848 would leave me wanting more after a little while and I would end up upgrading to the 1098/1198 in short order. On the other hand, if you tire of the 1098, something is wrong with you .

Old 07-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
My old RC51 was a real thumper..... I'm wondering if I'm going to miss the Liter power...

Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
One of the first bikes I put on the track was an old RC51. Thing was a beast in its day!

And, yes, I agree with you. You will miss the liter power.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I'd go for a new Evo, but that's just me. My old 749R was one of the funnest bikes to ride fast. I'm sure the Evo is even better. And I love the white with red color scheme.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
1098. More = better.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Jeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond reputeJeff_NJ has a reputation beyond repute
I have taken the 848 (not EVO) for a nice long ride and LOVED it. It had minor mods to bump the power, but probably still less HP than the EVO. I have not ridden the 1098 so I can't compare the two, but I guess the right answer would be more apparent if we knew what you were going to do with it. Track? Long trips? Canyon carving? DD? Garage queen? What will you do with it?

Last edited by Jeff_NJ; 07-18-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
My old RC51 was a real thumper.....
loved the torque on those things. sound wasn't bad either

Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Ara Im surprised you chose the 848. I never liked the 748 and felt it was under powered to my RC. balanced for sure- but not as much torque as i liked. BUT- the 848 does have solid hp/tq. Think i should I consider a RSV-4? (non factory)

Use? Local roads, cruises- maybe one track day this summer.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
The 1098 is not "fun". Well it is, but in the way poking a grizzly with a very short stick is fun. Keeps you on your toes. All. The. Time.

Rode 1198, 848 non Evo and 1098 which I own now ... the 1098 is definitely the roughest of the bunch, especially in terms of engine. They should be identical, but the 848 felt significantly more nimble and manageable.

The 1098 is good if you have your wits about you and can focus every second you're in the saddle. Don't plan on relaxing much. Straights? Hang on. Corner entry? Hard work. Corner exit? Crpa your pants as the rear wheel steps out at 1/4 throttle.

Other than that, I'm 5'7 and the 1x98/848 ergos are too "long", clipons are a bit too far. In retrospect, a S1000RR or RSV4 would've been a better fit. I can deal with it.

Quick Reply: It's not 100%- but I'm close to pulling the trigger: 848 Evo versus preowned 1098?