Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

It's not 100%- but I'm close to pulling the trigger: 848 Evo versus preowned 1098?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting. Im 5'11" @194lbs. You would think the 1098/1198/848 are very similar sans engine.

So, in general you think the 1098 is "too much bike" Zorro?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
If you have previous literbike experience, the 1098 isn't too much, you just need to respect the bike and realize that fire and damnation is 1/2" of wrist twist away. It's an easier bike to handle if you're north of 6' and 180 lbs. Even the 1198 is fairly easy to handle so long as you're aware of the loud handle in the corners.

The only Duc that rabbits my pooper is the Desmosedici. It spends 99% of its time figuring out ways to kill you.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
PorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond reputePorscheAudi has a reputation beyond repute
^ Agreed. You have to respect the 1098 at ALL times. And also agreed with Zorro, it is NOT a relaxing experience. Gotta be on your toes the whole time, but the reward is well worth it !

I can remember a couple years back riding in very light traffic on a two lane wide open highway with a buddy who was on a VROD. We caught a little traffic in front of us and he passed, but I waited for him to clear before I went. When I got a gap, I thoughtlessly threw her down a couple gears and got on it. Needless to say I got on it a little too much and the ass end of the bike started dancing all over the place. At 60 mph! It was the last time that I delivered power without 100% of my attention..

Old 07-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
Too much? Short answer, yeah.

Cruise along with some friends, doing 70-ish, small straightaway, give it some. Look at the GoPro footage later "errr ... I got to 150? In 4 seconds? Whoops."

Recommended corner speed? I can rail through at 3x that and still think "whoa, I have so much margin still ..."

Come out of some tighter corners, around 4-5k rpm, gentle on the throttle ... and the rear wiggles about while I'm shouting in my helmet "but! I'm just petting the damn throttle! Be nice, now! Don't throw me off ... please?"

It really demands a lot of commitment when you enter corners. If you don't come in focused and 100% in terms of body position, throttle input, gear selection, proper steering ... let's just say it becomes more than a handful at the end of the day on tighter/rougher roads. It's a tough bike to improvise on.

The 848 is much more nimble in that regard, much easier to throw around on unknown roads, much less inertia. Downside of that, I got bored with the engine within 10 miles.

If I were to do it again, I'd get an 1198SP. Even more frame-twisting grunt, slightly smoother, all the equipment you could wish for. Do want.

So yeah, the 1x98 is too much ... but that's ok as long as you know what you're getting into. The 848 will certainly make a better "hop on and thrash it around" bike.

Not easy to convey in words the difference between the bikes.

Last edited by Zorro; 07-18-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
Like I said, I loved my 749R, and from what I've heard the 848 Evo is an evolution of that bike. The power was a great match for the chassis. It didn't have the urgency of the 999 but if you kept it in the right gear the top end was very strong. I never had any trouble keeping and passing my buddies on their liter bikes in the canyons on my 749R.

As far as the RSV4 goes, of course I think you should look at it. It is the best bike I have owned and the most fun to ride.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Originally Posted by Simba
If you have previous literbike experience, the 1098 isn't too much, you just need to respect the bike and realize that fire and damnation is 1/2" of wrist twist away. It's an easier bike to handle if you're north of 6' and 180 lbs. Even the 1198 is fairly easy to handle so long as you're aware of the loud handle in the corners.

The only Duc that rabbits my pooper is the Desmosedici. It spends 99% of its time figuring out ways to kill you.
Originally Posted by Zorro
Too much? Short answer, yeah.

Cruise along with some friends, doing 70-ish, small straightaway, give it some. Look at the GoPro footage later "errr ... I got to 150? In 4 seconds? Whoops."

Recommended corner speed? I can rail through at 3x that and still think "whoa, I have so much margin still ..."

Come out of some tighter corners, around 4-5k rpm, gentle on the throttle ... and the rear wiggles about while I'm shouting in my helmet "but! I'm just petting the damn throttle! Be nice, now! Don't throw me off ... please?"

It really demands a lot of commitment when you enter corners. If you don't come in focused and 100% in terms of body position, throttle input, gear selection, proper steering ... let's just say it becomes more than a handful at the end of the day on tighter/rougher roads. It's a tough bike to improvise on.

The 848 is much more nimble in that regard, much easier to throw around on unknown roads, much less inertia. Downside of that, I got bored with the engine within 10 miles.

If I were to do it again, I'd get an 1198SP. Even more frame-twisting grunt, slightly smoother, all the equipment you could wish for. Do want.

So yeah, the 1x98 is too much ... but that's ok as long as you know what you're getting into. The 848 will certainly make a better "hop on and thrash it around" bike.

Not easy to convey in words the difference between the bikes.

Well, to shed some light; when I bought my first RC51- I came from a CBR600F4. The jump in Torque and power was considerable, and frankly the first season - I didn't thrash the bike out of respect. The 2nd summer I had it was a different story, I had over 2800 miles on it and was more comfortable with the bike. I could snap open the throttle and manage the wheelie just fine. Not to say I've not been in hairy moments; but the bike was a ton of fun and I was growing with the bike- thus started track days at Loudon NH. Which led me to my 2nd RC. So I'm looking for a bike that I A) won't get bored with and B) can continue to grow with my experience and confidence level.

On that note I will say that one of the major aspects that I adore about a Honda is their ability to take a mediocre rider and make them feel like a pro. The chassis are so well sorted and neurtral- it took A LOT to make a Honda want to put you into a full lock-to-lock tank slapper. - Having said that, I had several 996 owners get on the RC and feel it was too much bike for them. So, I guess I'm trying to gauge which way to go based on my needs/wants.

My fear is I'll out grow the 848 too quickly.

Which is why I find Zorro's description very interesting. I want to go on a bike where I CAN'T think of anything else. Just the bike, me and the road. No work. No bills. No worries. Just total focus- and when I get back home, just a huge grin from the little vacation I gave myself from life- on my bike. -

I've always said that my bikes were my own version of 'mental therapy'.

Originally Posted by Ara
Like I said, I loved my 749R, and from what I've heard the 848 Evo is an evolution of that bike. The power was a great match for the chassis. It didn't have the urgency of the 999 but if you kept it in the right gear the top end was very strong. I never had any trouble keeping and passing my buddies on their liter bikes in the canyons on my 749R.

As far as the RSV4 goes, of course I think you should look at it. It is the best bike I have owned and the most fun to ride.
Have you had a chance to ride the RSV-4 -NON factory? Would you take a RSV-4 over a 1098? And why?

awesome dialog guys.....keep it coming.

Last edited by STOPPIE; 07-19-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
And my next question is:

Would you buy a 2008 1098 with <900 miles on it- (600 mile service and recall was done) or a brand new 848 Evo? One has zero warranty, one has zero miles with a full warranty.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:05 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Fuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond reputeFuel&Fire has a reputation beyond repute
848 - unless you plan on taking it to the track. That will be plenty of bike for the streets, and you dont want to get stuck with the repair bills on an Italian motorcycle.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Zorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond reputeZorro has a reputation beyond repute
The jump in power between the RC51 and 1098 is significant.

I've recently ridden a Katoom RC8, thought it was dull and gutless compared to the Duc'. On the other hand, I still crap my pants on a ZX14. A 20hp difference is significant once on the saddle.

As for growing out of an 848 ... you will still be railing through corners thinking "I'm going twice as fast as traffic ... and I still could go so much faster!". It'll be very different for sure, but you will definitely get the same overkill feeling on the road.

used 1098 vs new 848 ... Ducatis aren't as finnicky as they once were, but they're still delicate pieces of machinery, and require lots of love. It took me a lot of time to find an owner who took care of his bike. Many claimed they did, but *uck me their bikes were ticking time bombs. Expensive one at that.
You won't have that concern with a new bike.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by Zorro
The jump in power between the RC51 and 1098 is significant.

I've recently ridden a Katoom RC8, thought it was dull and gutless compared to the Duc'. On the other hand, I still crap my pants on a ZX14. A 20hp difference is significant once on the saddle.

As for growing out of an 848 ... you will still be railing through corners thinking "I'm going twice as fast as traffic ... and I still could go so much faster!". It'll be very different for sure, but you will definitely get the same overkill feeling on the road.
used 1098 vs new 848 ... Ducatis aren't as finnicky as they once were, but they're still delicate pieces of machinery, and require lots of love. It took me a lot of time to find an owner who took care of his bike. Many claimed they did, but *uck me their bikes were ticking time bombs. Expensive one at that.
You won't have that concern with a new bike.
Can you elaborate on that part I highlighted? Are you saying I'd be just as happy with the 848 Evo as the used 1098 or no?

Also, the one that I'm looking at is very low miles and I'm worried it's not even been broken in, and been sitting. Did you look at bikes that were local or what process did you go thru to make sure the bike wasn't a ticking time bomb?

Thanks Zorro- big help mate.

Quick Reply: It's not 100%- but I'm close to pulling the trigger: 848 Evo versus preowned 1098?