Notices
Motorcycle Forum The Harley, Chopper, & Performance Motorcycle Discussion Forum.

Scary schimmy today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ferdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the rough
Scary schimmy today...

So, first the bike, I haven't posted it here.
After looking for the right 600cc I took this based on looks and sound, just it's my favorite.

'10 R6

today's shimmy...
I was on a three lanes street, no traffic. The road is a bit bumpy but not to worry.
After the green light 1st gear full throttle, this always gets the steering light and makes it shake, not enough for a wheelie but almost no weight on the front wheel. So the shaking was as usual, then shifted into second, full throttle again but I had to release before getting to the next corner, then it got scary. I know lifting causes the shimmy but I wasn't expecting to be any shaking when shifting into 2nd gear.
The steering started knocking side to side and the rear got crazy. I let the arms go with the movement trying to use the body to absorb and give it a little gas. The good thing I got out of it. It's amazing I got time to think what to do

I'm trying to figure out if I should get the Scott's or Ohlins steering damper. Just googled it but haven't found any hard evidence yet. Any experience to help?

Thanks

P.S: please fix "schimmy" to "shimmy" in the title!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Ara
Teamspeed Pro
Ara has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond reputeAra has a reputation beyond repute
I've always used Ohlins dampers, highly suggest you get one.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
ptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond reputeptrans has a reputation beyond repute
I had a Scotts damper on my 929, and "tankslap" was never an issue.

Name:  IMG00101-20090713-0843.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  52.9 KB

Name:  IMG00093-20090713-0840.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  274.6 KB

Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 PM
FIGJAM
IIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond reputeIIVVX has a reputation beyond repute
steering damper stat

Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned
Simba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond reputeSimba has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like you actually did get the front tire up a bit, then put it down with some steering input. The majority of tank slappers begin as such.

I prefer the Ohlins damper, though both work well. Neither as well as keeping the wheel straight, though.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Teamspeed Pro
mannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond reputemannnu81 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm baffled they dont put dampers on all bikes. It came from factory on my GSXR 600. Is there any advantage to not having one on, or is Yamaha just cheap?

Old 04-22-2011, 03:01 PM
SAB
Teamspeed Pro
SAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond reputeSAB has a reputation beyond repute
I felt an improvement over the stock damper when I switched to Ohlins. Check your tire pressures and suspension settings as well. If either of these are out of wack or not adjusted to your weight, they can induce headshake.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ferdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the roughFerdinand is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by SAB
I felt an improvement over the stock damper when I switched to Ohlins. Check your tire pressures and suspension settings as well. If either of these are out of wack or not adjusted to your weight, they can induce headshake.
Just checked pressures today, they were just fine. The new settings were worst.
I'm taking the motorcycle to be checked on monday, It may have any wheel or tire damage. Any way I've already ordered the Scott's damper. A friend of mine uses the Ohlins on his R6 so we'll give it a try on this alternative.

Anyway, the headshake only happens when not lifting the front wheel from the ground under full throttle on 1st and 2nd gear.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
FXbikes is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Ferdinand

Anyway, the headshake only happens when not lifting the front wheel from the ground under full throttle on 1st and 2nd gear.

All bikes do this to some extent. The 00-02 R6 bikes are notorious for this. What you are experiencing is the front tire briefly leaving the ground then coming back in contact with the asphalt. Because the bike doesn't stay at the same speed or position when it left; the reintroduction to the ground and loading up suspension causes abrupt feedback. Your lean angle, forward/aft position in the seat, how much pressure you exert on the bars, as well as a multitude of other factors will all determine how extreme a wobble will be or become. Most folks will chop the throttle, either out of fear or just the jolt of the bars, which will inevitably exacerbate the issue. Proper tire pressures and suspension settings will help to reduce this, but it will never completely go away. Although, a damper will help keep things manageable. Get more seat time and you'll start to get a better feel for what contributes to this, how control it, and how to ride out of it. I.E. become a better rider and this will cease to be an issue.

* P.S. For those that don't know becoming a better rider doesn't mean racing around on streets endangering everyone out there, and giving the rest of the safe riders a bad name.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Originally Posted by FXbikes
All bikes do this to some extent. The 00-02 R6 bikes are notorious for this. What you are experiencing is the front tire briefly leaving the ground then coming back in contact with the asphalt. Because the bike doesn't stay at the same speed or position when it left; the reintroduction to the ground and loading up suspension causes abrupt feedback. Your lean angle, forward/aft position in the seat, how much pressure you exert on the bars, as well as a multitude of other factors will all determine how extreme a wobble will be or become. Most folks will chop the throttle, either out of fear or just the jolt of the bars, which will inevitably exacerbate the issue. Proper tire pressures and suspension settings will help to reduce this, but it will never completely go away. Although, a damper will help keep things manageable. Get more seat time and you'll start to get a better feel for what contributes to this, how control it, and how to ride out of it. I.E. become a better rider and this will cease to be an issue.

* P.S. For those that don't know becoming a better rider doesn't mean racing around on streets endangering everyone out there, and giving the rest of the safe riders a bad name.
Thanks, I'll be testing new setting for suspension and pressure, the damper is on the way. For sure I need more skills but want to keep the ride as safe as I can, and be sure enough to get it to the track.