Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

Motor Trend's Jason Udy picks the Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport worst of 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Ced
Official CED
Ced has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond reputeCed has a reputation beyond repute
Corvette is a great car to me, i'd rock one for sure.
If they better the interior, then the price will go up, something i am against.
Keep it as is.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
gfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond reputegfroman has a reputation beyond repute
Comparing the Vette is also not really an apples to apples comparison with Porsche.

I got a great deal on my Z06 at $50K, with only 1000 miles on it!
The amount of torque and acceleration from this beast is more comparable to something like a 911 Turbo or GT-2.
They would cost me $40K-$60K more than what I spent.

In the future, if I can find a slightly used 911 Turbo at a reasonable price I will jump on it.

Until then, I have had more FUN in this car than anything else I have ever driven in my entire life!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Garrison will become famous soon enoughGarrison will become famous soon enoughGarrison will become famous soon enoughGarrison will become famous soon enoughGarrison will become famous soon enoughGarrison will become famous soon enoughGarrison will become famous soon enough
Im not a big fan of vettes myself but the grand sport worst car of the year? Reviews I've read say the grand sport isn't a bad car & I could think of many other cars that are much much worse

Sent from my DROIDX using Teamspeed

Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gfroman
Comparing the Vette is also not really an apples to apples comparison with Porsche.

I got a great deal on my Z06 at $50K, with only 1000 miles on it!
The amount of torque and acceleration from this beast is more comparable to something like a 911 Turbo or GT-2.
They would cost me $40K-$60K more than what I spent.

In the future, if I can find a slightly used 911 Turbo at a reasonable price I will jump on it.

Until then, I have had more FUN in this car than anything else I have ever driven in my entire life!
Interesting.

So you went from a 996 to a Z06 based on what? Price? A 997TT or GT2- speed aside- is literally 100% better car. If you're basing your opinion of Porsche and their value soley on your experience with the 996- thats like eating a steak from Long Horn Steak House and claiming ALL steak created the same- and happily ordering a Delmonico or Fillet from Out Back Steak House.

Sure Morton's or else where is double the price; but it's also double the experience and it IS a better piece of meat!

Sure the Z06 is fast. No debate there.

But it's not even 1/2 the car a 997TT or GT2 is- from fit and finish, daily driveabilty -not to mention- why is it GM feels their circa 1980's transmission is acceptable in today's day an age?

No hate towards YOUR Z06 mind you. But I never did understand the logic when speaking about value of a Z06 as compared to a Porsche. there is no comparison.

I'd rather drive a 997mkI C2S over a newer model year Z06.

So when you say "reasonable", what's reasonable for a 997TT?

Last edited by STOPPIE; 01-03-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:21 PM
sean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond reputesean73T has a reputation beyond repute
And here we go again...

Old 01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Teamspeed Member
HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
But it's not even 1/2 the car a 997TT or GT2 is- from fit and finish, daily driveabilty -not to mention- why is it GM feels their circa 1980's transmission is acceptable in today's day an age?

No hate towards YOUR Z06 mind you. But I never did understand the logic when speaking about value of a Z06 as compared to a Porsche. there is no comparison.
I disagree.

You can fit a gym bag in a 997TT and maybe a ladies set of golf clubs behind the seats. The Vette is a much more utilitarian car. As far as driveability goes, what criteria are you using to determine the Porsche is easier/cheaper/better to drive?

Yes, the interior sucks in the Vette, the transmission rattles a bit, your leg gets hot, and it does have an unfortunate demographic tendency. Then again, the Porsche TT sounds like a lawnmower and depreciates almost faster than any other 'sports' car (ie not good value).

No P-car hate here mind you - as I'll probably pick up a (used) 997TT Cab this summer - but I'm not going to sell my Z06 as a result.

My $.02

BTW, what is this fit and finish gripe that people have with Corvettes? (asks rhetorically). You'd think the (carbon fiber) panels on a Z06 were overlapping or something.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
STOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond reputeSTOPPIE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sean73T
And here we go again...
Good point. So I'll keep this short.

Originally Posted by HIRISC
I disagree.

You can fit a gym bag in a 997TT and maybe a ladies set of golf clubs behind the seats. The Vette is a much more utilitarian car. As far as driveability goes, what criteria are you using to determine the Porsche is easier/cheaper/better to drive?

Yes, the interior sucks in the Vette, the transmission rattles a bit, your leg gets hot, and it does have an unfortunate demographic tendency. Then again, the Porsche TT sounds like a lawnmower and depreciates almost faster than any other 'sports' car (ie not good value).

No P-car hate here mind you - as I'll probably pick up a (used) 997TT Cab this summer - but I'm not going to sell my Z06 as a result.

My $.02

BTW, what is this fit and finish gripe that people have with Corvettes? (asks rhetorically). You'd think the (carbon fiber) panels on a Z06 were overlapping or something.
<snipe>

Give me a m/t and clutch action that is even on PAR with the Porsche and I will GLADLY STFU about it and even *wait for it*

ENDORSE THE CORVETTE!!

Until that day arrives...... (which I wont hold my breath) I'll continue to slam the Vette for being sub-par in driving experience.

If HONDA can put a slick 6 speed in their (now dead) beloved S2000 - which worked like butta....

CHEVY can put something nice in their vette. I'll leave it at that.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Axxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond reputeAxxlrod has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JC919
People still read Motor Trend?
A subscription costs $5 for the year.

I have one. For bathroom reading after I've already read the other good car mags and playboy for the month.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:51 AM
Teamspeed Member
HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!HIRISC You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by STOPPIE
Give me a m/t and clutch action that is even on PAR with the Porsche and I will GLADLY STFU...

Until that day arrives...... (which I wont hold my breath) I'll continue to slam the Vette for being sub-par in driving experience...

CHEVY can put something nice in their vette. I'll leave it at that.
So, the transmission (shifter?) and clutch 'action' isn't up to 'Porsche standards'? Who cares? Every car shifts differently. Every car has a different clutch engagement feel/level.

I'm sorry, but if that's the sum of your 'slam' against the Vette's driveability/driving experience, then I have to discount your opinion accordingly.

Have you actually driven a (2008+) Z06 or ZR1 with said '80's transmission'? It's actually quite good.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Teamspeed's Howitzer
Originally Posted by HIRISC
So, the transmission (shifter?) and clutch 'action' isn't up to 'Porsche standards'? Who cares? Every car shifts differently. Every car has a different clutch engagement feel/level.

I'm sorry, but if that's the sum of your 'slam' against the Vette's driveability/driving experience, then I have to discount your opinion accordingly.

Have you actually driven a (2008+) Z06 or ZR1 with said '80's transmission'? It's actually quite good.
yes, and it's a peice of shit. We're not talking about 'every car shifts differently'- we're talking the difference between common sense and retarded.

You wanna know why nobody could obtain those 'Ring numbers in the Z06 as Chevy claimed, for so long?

The single biggest weak link in that car is for the driver to get the power to the ground, quickly, and smoothly. Its transmission. Oh and I love how when you revv the car it takes FOREVARRRR for the Revvs to come back down. Impressive.

Sorry Charlie but the 997 (minus the new Gen Ferrari and Lambo) is one of the easiest sports cars to get in and drive on a daily basis- for almost everyone who gets behind the drivers seat.

Have you ever driven a 997 GT3?

Quick Reply: Motor Trend's Jason Udy picks the Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport worst of 2011