Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

New Ford Mustang set for world debut

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011 | 08:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SpeedRob
Come on, an IRS is not that expensive when produced in large quantities. I'd imagine it adding no more than $500 to the cost of the car - the Camaro and Challenger both have it and they aren't anymore expensive than the Stang.

Also, I believe Ford has already confirmed that the car will look much different than the current car, will shed any hints of retro, and will shrink to about the size of a Fox body.

Using the existing 5.0l, if these comments in fact hold to be true, this will be one truly epic machine. I personally can't wait to see it.
most mustang enthusiasts don't want IRS though.....they threw a big stink about it when they did it on the cobra years ago.

Old 06-24-2011 | 09:07 AM
Teamspeed Member
SpeedRob is on a distinguished roadSpeedRob is on a distinguished road
They may not want it but I don't think they're going to have a choice . . .

IRS was engineered for the S197 but failed to make production, btw.

According to this, IRS adds $100 to the cost of the car - not even the $500 I guessed at. Wow.

Good read on IRS for the current S197 platform:

2010 Ford Mustang: Near Enough is Not Good Enough - Motor Trend Blog

Old 06-24-2011 | 10:40 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Super Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond reputeSuper Six Five has a reputation beyond repute
People threw a fit because IRS doesn't play well with the drag strip. Most Mustang enthusiasts drag race their cars.

And a well-done solid axle is better than a half-baked IRS. Most people who buy a Mustang (specifically the V6) are not looking for a road course monster. I prefer the road course for mine, but I'm by far and away in the minority in the Mustang community. Besides, the V6 is what sells the most units and I seriously doubt that any secretary or librarian can tell a difference in handling between an IRS and a solid rear.