Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Rated at 638 hp

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
forhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond reputeforhamilton has a reputation beyond repute
Slower than a GTR and Z? Uh, NO.

Look at the improvements.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by forhamilton
Slower than a GTR and Z? Uh, NO.

Look at the improvements.

Hey, we'll all have to wait and see. What improvements other then more power and ceramic brakes (which arguably don't stop "faster", but are more resistant to fade).

This car will be faster then the Z in a straight line. Whether faster then the GTR, I don't know. I think on a track like Willow w/ the smaller configurations the Z06 will be faster. On a big track like Nurburgring, definately not. But as I said, I don't think this car will handle the power correctly.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
teh_ginger is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
GTR will be faster then this car around a track. Hell I bet the Z06 is faster then this thing around the track.

I don't think this car is going to perform anywhere near what most people are hoping it will.
I would buy the Vette...Z06 or ZR1...any day of the week over the GT-R. I can get it in a manual, it's lighter, it's RWD...it's sexy as hell....it's a true sports car. The GT-R is for geeks and number crunchin whores. I can honestly care less about a few seconds on a track...when I'm wasting a GT-R on the highway, it'll give me all the satisfaction I need. If you don't know how to have fun on a track in either Vette, something is wrong with you, regardless of your lap time. In fact, I'd reckon you'd have 5x more fun in the Vette than in the Nissan, because unlike with the GT-R, the Vette actually challenges you to be a better driver.

And I REALLY don't think GM is going to release the ZR1 if it doesn't completely demolish the base Z06 in every single way...unless of course it's going to be like Porsche's Turbo is to the GT3. But I don't think that's the case.

Last edited by teh_ginger; 04-25-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drew935
-- The 6.5-liter V12 in the Lamborghini Murcielago is rated at 580 hp and 650 lb-ft.
That doesn't make sense at all, why compare it to a 6 year old V12, especially when we already have the LP640...

Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by 4Wheels
That doesn't make sense at all, why compare it to a 6 year old V12, especially when we already have the LP640...
Well then compare it to the 599's more modern powerplant. Either way, the point is that the ZR1 is one hell of a horsepower per dollar bargain. Not even the LP640 will be as fast...the Vette is significantly lighter, and since it's boostin, more ponies shouldn't be any problem....let's face it, Vette's have never had a problem making more power.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Teamspeed Pro
4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute4Wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by teh_ginger
Well then compare it to the 599's more modern powerplant. Either way, the point is that the ZR1 is one hell of a horsepower per dollar bargain. Not even the LP640 will be as fast...the Vette is significantly lighter, and since it's boostin, more ponies shouldn't be any problem....let's face it, Vette's have never had a problem making more power.
I think you're missing my point, I'm not implying the LP640 is the faster car but merely that the correct list would've been LP640/599/GT2.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Jim Bacus has a reputation beyond reputeJim Bacus has a reputation beyond reputeJim Bacus has a reputation beyond reputeJim Bacus has a reputation beyond reputeJim Bacus has a reputation beyond reputeJim Bacus has a reputation beyond reputeJim Bacus has a reputation beyond reputeJim Bacus has a reputation beyond reputeJim Bacus has a reputation beyond reputeJim Bacus has a reputation beyond reputeJim Bacus has a reputation beyond repute
The thing I really wonder about is Chevy dealerships performing service on 100+k cars. People expect a different caliber of service on a car in that price range.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Teamspeed Pro
carendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond reputecarendt242 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jim Bacus
The thing I really wonder about is Chevy dealerships performing service on 100+k cars. People expect a different caliber of service on a car in that price range.
you wouldn't want a Cavalier as a loaner?

- chuck

Old 04-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
Originally Posted by 4Wheels
I think you're missing my point, I'm not implying the LP640 is the faster car but merely that the correct list would've been LP640/599/GT2.
No, I got ya bud...I know you weren't saying that. I just tossed that in there as my own little aside.

Originally Posted by Jim Bacus
Corvette buyers are a unique group of people. But I do think it would be in GM's best interest to start selling and servicing the car at Cadillac dealerships.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond reputeHBdirtbag has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by teh_ginger
I would buy the Vette...Z06 or ZR1...any day of the week over the GT-R. I can get it in a manual, it's lighter, it's RWD...it's sexy as hell....it's a true sports car. The GT-R is for geeks and number crunchin whores. I can honestly care less about a few seconds on a track...when I'm wasting a GT-R on the highway, it'll give me all the satisfaction I need. If you don't know how to have fun on a track in either Vette, something is wrong with you, regardless of your lap time. In fact, I'd reckon you'd have 5x more fun in the Vette than in the Nissan, because unlike with the GT-R, the Vette actually challenges you to be a better driver.

I don't know why this was directed at me. Congrats, you'd rather have the vette then the GTR. I would too!

But i'd also take the Z06 well before I'd touch the ZR1

Last edited by HBdirtbag; 04-25-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Rated at 638 hp