Notices
Modern Muscle Corvette, Saleen, Ford GT, Mustang, & More Discussion Forum.

GM disbands unit that creates high-performance vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sean
My point is that they just cancelled the division making the best cars in the company.
Maybe so. But if they only sell 1000 of them a year, but sell 100,000 of the pieces of crap in the remaining divisions -- you get the point. I agree with M5Kid on this one, financially responsible won't equal popularity in this case.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond repute
It sucks that they're shutting this down, because it's the only division making quality cars. Hopefully in this case, the guys who produce the cts-v, which is a quality car, can help the company emulate the success across the GM product line.

In my opinion GM should be Chevy, Cadillac, and Pontiac only. They should part with Saab and fold the other companies (Buick, Hummer, GMC, Saturn). Chevy makes everyday cars and trucks, except for Corvette and Camaro (being icons), Pontiac makes more performance oriented cars appealing to younger crowd ala Scion, and Cadillac makes the luxury upmarket cars. Sad part is the UAW won't let it happen. There is a place for unions, but the UAW is more like the freaking Mob. When you pay up they just hit you up for more cash.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Teamspeed Pro
lager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond reputelager99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cstroked
BG as in Bowling Green KY? That plant only produces XLR/Corvette. Bowling Green Assembly Plant - Home of the Corvette and XLR

I have spent quite a bit of time in the 2009 (a friend owns one), so I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. The Corvette is a different story, but I have to give Cadillac credit - and I am not a domestic fan.

Edit: The CTS is produced in Lansing, MI as far as I can tell. Could be wrong though.
My bad...that is the car I was thinking of.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gobbles
Maybe so. But if they only sell 1000 of them a year, but sell 100,000 of the pieces of crap in the remaining divisions -- you get the point. I agree with M5Kid on this one, financially responsible won't equal popularity in this case.
Yep. 'Best' is highly subjective, and it doesn't take the financials into account. I'm sure they didn't exactly enjoy taking the edge away from their lineup, but had some more compelling reasons, or pressure.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Full of Win.
Gobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond reputeGobbles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by M5Kid
Yep. 'Best' is highly subjective, and it doesn't take the financials into account. I'm sure they didn't exactly enjoy taking the edge away from their lineup, but had some more compelling reasons, or pressure.
Either way, I'm sure SecTreas Geithner is all over it, seeing as how he's chair of the new auto industry task force and all.

While we're at it, I think they all need to be forced into not selling competing products within themselves. No need for a Town & Country AND a Grand Caravan, for example.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:56 AM
Teamspeed Pro
M5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond reputeM5Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Either way, I'm sure SecTreas Geithner is all over it, seeing as how he's chair of the new auto industry task force and all.

While we're at it, I think they all need to be forced into not selling competing products within themselves. No need for a Town & Country AND a Grand Caravan, for example.
That is one of their many problems right there.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
sean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond reputesean has a reputation beyond repute
You're missing my point. They're disbanding the most talented people capable of making the best cars--they don't have to be used to churn out Corvettes, they can be used to make the standard cars better. They're disbanding the most successful division.

And your numbers are off, they sell around 30k Corvettes alone each year, nevermind all the specialty cars like the Cobalt SS.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Teamspeed Pro
SpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedLimit? has a reputation beyond repute
Old 02-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Barrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond reputeBarrister has a reputation beyond repute
Merged these threads.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Teamspeed Member
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Dude, this is GREAT news for the collector car market......see the prices RISING on these vehicles in the next 10-15 years at Barrett Jackson. Time to pick up some good bargains folks....

Quick Reply: GM disbands unit that creates high-performance vehicles