Teamspeed.com

Teamspeed.com (https://teamspeed.com/forums/)
-   Modern Day Classics & Ferrari General News (https://teamspeed.com/forums/modern-day-classics-ferrari-general-news/)
-   -   355 to 360 (https://teamspeed.com/forums/modern-day-classics-ferrari-general-news/67145-355-360-a.html)

samuel.g 12-12-2011 11:50 AM

Congrats Ali! She's beautiful.

IIVVX 12-12-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Simba (Post 1169465)
I'm not the one taking offense to a critical review of a car I own.

So far as Ferrari goes: They have made a significant depature from the direction of the company as it was run for much of its history. The last ~15-20 years have represented a huge change in overall mindset of the company. They have abandoned sports car racing, largely abandoned their hardcore, enthusiast fans and have gravitated towards a more Lambo-esque glamor over substance ethos. As I said, certainly the cars are more reliable, faster, and much easier to drive. They are targeted towards a different demographic than they once were as a result.

Economically, that has worked out pretty well for them. They sell more cars and make quite a lot more money. A strong parallel can be drawn with Toyota, who also abandoned their enthusiast base to concentrate on econoboxes and SUVs, markets which have been much more profitable for them than sports cars. As a result, Toyota's brand has changed from the bomb-proof, over-engineered last word in bang for the buck quality and engineering elegance, to those people who make Priuses and eleven different flavors of SUV that nobody can tell apart at a glance (or in general).

So, what happens when various Korean and eventually Chinese makers start chipping away at the Prius and small SUV market? Ultimately, the same thing that happened to the domestic auto industry here in the 80s. What does that mean for Ferrari? Not a whole lot right now. What will it mean in 20-30 years when the dozen new supercar market entries that happen every decade slowly but surely chip away at their market? Probably nothing good.

I could draw even more parallels between the kind of management thinking going on at Ferrari and what has happened between Microsoft and Apple in the last decade and change. That's not hurbis, that's a reasonable analysis of business and market trends among several companies.

You're free to disagree, and conclude that the sham that is "F1 tech in street cars! OMG!!!11oneone" will continue to sell cars for generations to come. Much as people were free to conclude that Apple would be doomed in "just a few years now" as recently as 2005. My point is, the market is a cruel mistress, and to abandon and largely ignore the very thing that made your company great is galactically stupid no matter what company is doing it.

very well said :golfclap:

toyota died with the end of the mkiv supra

boursachi 12-12-2011 02:46 PM

thanks guys
yeah josh, service kit on hold, and waiting to see what other stuff i'll need on top of the head gasket

bo yosif allah ysalmek yalghali thanks bro w ybarek fek mate

bo jasim lool nice i like ketchup bottle! cs look could work, i love the rear decklid but the bumpers need to be financially sensible

bonehead, duuude it already has Tubi :D
as for the grill, i am waiting on a shop in the UK who should be making them in a couple of months. i dealt with them before and bought a challgrill for the 355, top notch stuff

thanks samuel! :)

boursachi 12-16-2011 05:51 PM

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/1836/v6ca.mp4

not the greatest of videos, but i think it resembles the car's sound from the cockpit quite well
in a parking lot shifting 1st/2nd revving 2-3k

pearlcoupeg35 12-16-2011 05:55 PM

Congrats. Red on Red --- wow, very cool!

Axman 12-17-2011 03:28 AM

Great news Ali!!!!
Enjoy and drive safely!!

boursachi 12-17-2011 11:33 AM

Thanks guys.
I just realized I did not update here; I ordered the major service kit along with the engine head gaskets. Will be going to perform an engine-out for the major, install new head gaskets, grind and clean, and check the valves and everything since the engine will be apart. Looking forward to it, as it is a 12 yo car in Kuwaiti weather and I plan to take it from 45k km to 80k km at least in no time.

At any rate here is the video from yesterday, 1st/2nd gear in a parking lot which I thought resembles how the car sounds like from the driver's seat:

IMG 5905 NEW - YouTube

And here is one from today:

IMG 5910 NEW - YouTube

Slayclops 12-17-2011 12:06 PM

Mabrouk!!enjoy it in good health :)

Axman 12-17-2011 02:08 PM

^ ^ that watch on the drivers wrist seems familiar, but I could not spot the drivers face, so I am not sure.........:smilie:

jox 12-17-2011 02:11 PM

Holy crap I just saw this!!! Congrats Ali!