Notices
Midwest (US) Regional discussion forum for our members in IA, IL, IN, MI, MO, OH, WI, and WV

Chicago Olympics 2016 - Good Idea or Bad?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond repute
Chicago Olympics 2016 - Good Idea or Bad?

With the Olympic decision coming this Friday wanted to get your thoughts on if it will be good or bad for Chicago?

As someone from the Chicago suburbs I think it is a very exciting prospect. Although it has been seen that the games have been very costly for other cities, I think if the plans are built where as there is a defined use for the facilities after the games it could add a lot valuable investment to the city.

Most importantly I think the games would require the city to improve its public transport which in my opinion is lacking.

So with that what are your thoughts?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
It'd certainly give me another excuse to come out to the windy city for a weekend. Not sure I'd be up for dealing with even larger crowds than those already roaming the city's hotspots though.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
a lot of construction jobs will be created; I think this will be quite a boost in the local economy

Old 10-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Teamspeed Pro
U-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond reputeU-Boat Commander has a reputation beyond repute
I really hope this happens. My folks live in Chicago and I have a ton of buddies in the city. I'll be there for the whole event.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Teamspeed Pro
.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute.:Raul has a reputation beyond repute
I apologize to the rest of the country that the Mayor of Chicago and the whole political system is depraved and full of thieves......

but isn't having the Olympics in our country something to be proud about? I mean, why is there so much resistance?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Schwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond reputeSchwabe has a reputation beyond repute
Major headaches for people in the Chicago area. yes it creates jobs but it also costs tons of money to create the venues required. In Europe almost all soccer stadiums are Olympic sized stadiums with the track around. In Chicago most likely everything must be build subsidized by tax payers money. So I see the why there is resistance. Traffic in in chicago will be a nightmare for several years because of constructions, not just during the actual event.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
ajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond reputeajs887 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Schwabe
Major headaches for people in the Chicago area. yes it creates jobs but it also costs tons of money to create the venues required. In Europe almost all soccer stadiums are Olympic sized stadiums with the track around. In Chicago most likely everything must be build subsidized by tax payers money. So I see the why there is resistance. Traffic in in chicago will be a nightmare for several years because of constructions, not just during the actual event.
While there may be some construction required, I don't foresee dramatic construction taking place. Traffic is already a nightmare in Chicago so I can't really see that being much of an issue either. I figured the cost is why so many people are resistant From what I've seen a lot of the venues would actually be housed in McCormick place which would save Chicago from taking the time to build venues for Gymnastics, Badminton, etc.

The biggest plus,besides the money it would bring into the city that I can see as I said before is that it would require Chicago to improve its transport grid around the city, which would have long lasting benefits.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:55 AM
Teamspeed Pro
Originally Posted by ajs887
The biggest plus,besides the money it would bring into the city that I can see as I said before is that it would require Chicago to improve its transport grid around the city, which would have long lasting benefits.

that's exactly what I was thinking as well.....maybe double decker expressways? actually making the CTA efficient?

Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Teamspeed Pro
oh and if we don't get it now, we might never get it:

COPENHAGEN, Sept 30 (Reuters) - Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara warned on Wednesday the 2016 Olympics could be the last Games, with global warming an immediate threat to mankind.

Tokyo is bidding to host the 2016 summer Olympics with Chicago, Rio de Janeiro and Madrid also in the running. The International Olympic Committee will elect the winning candidate during its session on Oct. 2 in the Danish capital.

"It could be that the 2016 Games are the last Olympics in the history of mankind," Ishihara told reporters at a Tokyo 2016 press event ahead of the vote.

"Global warming is getting worse. We have to come up with measures without which Olympic Games could not last long.

"Scientists have said we have passed the point of no return," said Ishihara.
Tokyo has put considerable emphasis on staging a green Games with the planned Olympic stadium the first to be fully powered by renewable energy, including solar power.

"Tokyo is prepared to do everything to create the best conditions for the athletes," he said.
Olympics-2016 Games could be the last, says Tokyo governor | Reuters

Old 10-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Nutcrusher
strebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond reputestrebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Schwabe
They are?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chicago Olympics 2016 - Good Idea or Bad?