Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

Mclaren MP4-12C vs 458 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Teamspeed Member
Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by alwin
You guys are going to listen to this guy? the same guy that thought running a 360 into a concrete wall and vandalizing his own car for no reason was worth bragging about / broadcasting onto the interwebs?

I'm sorry but his opinion is worth as much as the pile of poop that just exited my dog.

I own an MP4 & a Scud, and drove the 458 plenty of times. There is a definite visceral sensation that you will not get from the MP4. It is a brilliant piece of engineering, but if you're looking for that raw race-inspired passion you're going to be disappointed and arguably equally so with a 458 as well. That is why a lot of fcar owners, including myself, have an overwhelming soft spot for the Scuderia, Challenge Stradale, F40 etc...may not be the fastest or most efficient cars but hot damn, I guarantee an endless smile the minute you put your foot down on the pedal and fling it into a turn.

The Ferrari 458 is built exceptionally well and Ferrari has definitely improved the quality of the carbon and interior, so the only reason I can think of why his crap is falling apart is probably because he rents out his cars to strangers, and as you may understand most renters, more likely than not, treat rentals like shit duh.

I want to also add that there is a slight lag on power delivery in the MP4, which is expected because well it's a turbo. The shifting is also something that takes getting used to because it's basically a single piece (imagine a see-saw) behind the wheel...and trust me, downshifting by pushing down is full-on rahtard, and I have mis-shifted more than a handful of times at the track, esp under heavy braking so what he said about it being great is greatly uneducated and naive. The shift also has a "ready" position which it tries to anticipate your next shift which again, takes a lot of getting used to...I personally hate it when I don't feel in complete control of the car or the computers are taking over, so that sort of stuff doesn't make me smile and oh by the way, on heavy braking that stupid air brake flies up and you won't be able to see shit in your rear view...perfect opportunity for folks to overtake you =)

It is a brilliantly engineered and fast piece of machinery though, that is far less conspicuous than a Ferrari or any other comparable supercar. Reliable so far and no issue; I've only clocked 3k miles. I might also add it's already taking a huge depreciation hit at today's pricing, like ridiculous hit lol and definitely isn't holding value like the 458 or my scud or even a cs.
Alwin, excellent post. I agree with many of your comments, we both have the same cars. Did you get upgrade 10 on the 12C yet? Mine was done a few weeks ago and it feels much stronger, and the shifts are closer to the 458 than before. I still prefer the shifting on my 991.

On the 12C depreciation, I think it is a case of McLaren's numbers being far lower than a 458 in production and with the reduction of Coupes and the Spiders things will settle in. I don't care, because I don't have plans on selling mine and couldn't be happier with it.

Best,
Tony

Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Teamspeed Member
GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!GuOD You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
You guys are going to listen to this guy? the same guy that thought running a 360 into a concrete wall and vandalizing his own car for no reason was worth bragging about / broadcasting onto the interwebs?

I'm sorry but his opinion is worth as much as the pile of poop that just exited my dog.

I own an MP4 & a Scud, and drove the 458 plenty of times. There is a definite visceral sensation that you will not get from the MP4. It is a brilliant piece of engineering, but if you're looking for that raw race-inspired passion you're going to be disappointed and arguably equally so with a 458 as well. That is why a lot of fcar owners, including myself, have an overwhelming soft spot for the Scuderia, Challenge Stradale, F40 etc...may not be the fastest or most efficient cars but hot damn, I guarantee an endless smile the minute you put your foot down on the pedal and fling it into a turn.

The Ferrari 458 is built exceptionally well and Ferrari has definitely improved the quality of the carbon and interior, so the only reason I can think of why his crap is falling apart is probably because he rents out his cars to strangers, and as you may understand most renters, more likely than not, treat rentals like shit duh.

I want to also add that there is a slight lag on power delivery in the MP4, which is expected because well it's a turbo. The shifting is also something that takes getting used to because it's basically a single piece (imagine a see-saw) behind the wheel...and trust me, downshifting by pushing down is full-on rahtard, and I have mis-shifted more than a handful of times at the track, esp under heavy braking so what he said about it being great is greatly uneducated and naive. The shift also has a "ready" position which it tries to anticipate your next shift which again, takes a lot of getting used to...I personally hate it when I don't feel in complete control of the car or the computers are taking over, so that sort of stuff doesn't make me smile and oh by the way, on heavy braking that stupid air brake flies up and you won't be able to see shit in your rear view...perfect opportunity for folks to overtake you =)

It is a brilliantly engineered and fast piece of machinery though, that is far less conspicuous than a Ferrari or any other comparable supercar. Reliable so far and no issue; I've only clocked 3k miles. I might also add it's already taking a huge depreciation hit at today's pricing, like ridiculous hit lol and definitely isn't holding value like the 458 or my scud or even a cs.
He definitely sounds biased in the video. I was hoping to switch into a 12C when it's time to trade my car in. I thought the pushing to downshift was optional. Could you not just use it like a normal paddles or are you saying it's an accidental push?

It'd be terrible to have the airbrake deploy in traffic

Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Teamspeed Member
Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
You can use the Paddles just like a Ferrari or Porsche PDK, the airbrake is pretty cool, the only time someone might pass you if it is working, is when your not driving fast enough.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GuOD
He definitely sounds biased in the video. I was hoping to switch into a 12C when it's time to trade my car in. I thought the pushing to downshift was optional. Could you not just use it like a normal paddles or are you saying it's an accidental push?

It'd be terrible to have the airbrake deploy in traffic
Regarding the push to downshift. I NEVER do that. Instead I just use the left side for downshift and right side for up shift.

One other point: At the track. I leave the car in track/track mode with automatic shifting. I want to focus on braking zones, throttle input, Apexes. I trust that the computer is smarter than me in picking the right gear. Porsche's PDK is Sport chrono Plus is similar. It picks the best gear every single time. No need to out smart it.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ritesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond reputeRitesh has a reputation beyond repute
Just finished watching the video. Couple of comments:

- It is very biased towards the McLaren and against the F458(and I am defintely not a Tifosi).

- Opening doors at 25 MPH -

- Fit and finish: well I have had a few issues with my 12C. I will explain in detail once I have the software update.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM
Teamspeed Pro
alwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't brought it in yet, due shortly though and whenever I get back to tw

And yes, as Ritesh has mentioned, because of the "complexity" of the shifting I also gave up trying to do it the "new" way. The old left to downshift and right to upshift is what I've stuck with and will continue to stick with.

Interesting that Ritesh felt going auto-shift is faster than manual...my experience with it is that it shifts a touch too early into each gear, but will have to try it out again. Only gave it a whirl once.

Originally Posted by Senna1994
Alwin, excellent post. I agree with many of your comments, we both have the same cars. Did you get upgrade 10 on the 12C yet? Mine was done a few weeks ago and it feels much stronger, and the shifts are closer to the 458 than before. I still prefer the shifting on my 991.

On the 12C depreciation, I think it is a case of McLaren's numbers being far lower than a 458 in production and with the reduction of Coupes and the Spiders things will settle in. I don't care, because I don't have plans on selling mine and couldn't be happier with it.

Best,
Tony

Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Teamspeed Member
I haven't brought it in yet, due shortly though and whenever I get back to tw

And yes, as Ritesh has mentioned, because of the "complexity" of the shifting I also gave up trying to do it the "new" way. The old left to downshift and right to upshift is what I've stuck with and will continue to stick with.

Interesting that Ritesh felt going auto-shift is faster than manual...my experience with it is that it shifts a touch too early into each gear, but will have to try it out again. Only gave it a whirl once.
You will love the upgrades, it is huge difference.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:56 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
MarkoRamius is a name known to allMarkoRamius is a name known to allMarkoRamius is a name known to allMarkoRamius is a name known to allMarkoRamius is a name known to allMarkoRamius is a name known to allMarkoRamius is a name known to allMarkoRamius is a name known to allMarkoRamius is a name known to allMarkoRamius is a name known to allMarkoRamius is a name known to all
The upgrades transform the car and (in my view) make it better than the 458

Old 12-24-2012, 01:35 AM
Teamspeed Pro
SL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant futureSL55K has a brilliant future
The 458 and the MP4 are two different cars in so many ways
We've had the 458 for almost a year and half and absolutely love everything about it. And I've driven the MP4 several times, the one thing I couldn't get bored of was how quick it would accelerate.
Our MP4 spider should be coming in about two weeks and wont be replacing it with the 458. I'll post some comparison videos and many pics

Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
falb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond repute
New factory video for the 2,000th 12C produced. Such a quiet environment, notice only handtools are used.

2013 McLaren MP4 12C Spider Production - YouTube

Quick Reply: Mclaren MP4-12C vs 458 comparison