Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

Mclaren MP4-12C vs 458 comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Its only three o'clock....wtf
JonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond reputeJonA85 has a reputation beyond repute
Mclaren MP4-12C vs 458 comparison

Sadly I can not agree or disagree this with review because I have not driven either. But its good to hear an unbiased review.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Teamspeed Member
Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!Senna1994 You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
Originally Posted by JonA85
Sadly I can not agree or disagree this with review because I have not driven either. But its good to hear an unbiased review.

Mclaren MP4-12C to Ferrari 458 Italia Comparison - YouTube
Interesting, thanks for the post, I own a 12C and a 430. I just drove my friends new 458 and I thought it was fabulous, the 12C and 458 are just different cars, each has its strength and weakness, but they are both great machines. I will probably sell my 430 and get a 458, but right now I am very content with my 12C.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
some valid points. i agree they are quite different from each other. if one had to pick & choose, it's surely not easy task. i agree with him on the Ferrari build quality. not the best out there, not even close. but because it's hand-built, i guess that qualifies the ''uniqueness'' of Ferrari & its price tag. that, unless u've owned a Ferrari, it's hard to see what i mean. McLaren on the other hand, since i only have experience with the 12C, i can only say overall i'm impressed with it. the build quality is better than i thought from a British automaker. driving dynamic is awesome. i don't really find myself comfortable in any of the Ferrari i've owned. i think Italian build cars with passion, but lack with practicality (which Porsche does it the best). that's why i like to look at them better than driving them.

competing head to head with an established brand like Ferrari is not easy. McLaren has a long way to go. they are on the right track. hopefully they succeed because only with competition it will make Ferrari even better.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:18 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
falb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond reputefalb has a reputation beyond repute
The McLaren is hand made. There are no power tools used in the MPC, just quiet confident English motorheads assembling with hand tools. The MPC makes just about any manufacturing facility I have even seen look like a GM assembly plant on a Friday.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!koizu You are a Teamspeed member that Rocks and Rolls!
nice review

Old 12-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Neg Rep Zen Master
Marc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond reputeMarc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 20C4S
some valid points. i agree they are quite different from each other. if one had to pick & choose, it's surely not easy task. i agree with him on the Ferrari build quality. not the best out there, not even close. but because it's hand-built, i guess that qualifies the ''uniqueness'' of Ferrari & its price tag. that, unless u've owned a Ferrari, it's hard to see what i mean. McLaren on the other hand, since i only have experience with the 12C, i can only say overall i'm impressed with it. the build quality is better than i thought from a British automaker. driving dynamic is awesome. i don't really find myself comfortable in any of the Ferrari i've owned. i think Italian build cars with passion, but lack with practicality (which Porsche does it the best). that's why i like to look at them better than driving them.

competing head to head with an established brand like Ferrari is not easy. McLaren has a long way to go. they are on the right track. hopefully they succeed because only with competition it will make Ferrari even better.

Well stated.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
hugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond reputehugo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool guy and he's right too...

Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM
Teamspeed Member
FerrariWF is an unknown quantity at this point
Great video. The 12C definitely gets shafted compared to the 458 in the media and it's a fantastic machine. Stating that the video was an unbiased review is ludicrous though. That review defined a biased review.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Insman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the roughInsman is a jewel in the rough
Great video, just wish I owned one of each of these cars to form my own opinion...

Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Teamspeed Pro
alwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond reputealwin has a reputation beyond repute
You guys are going to listen to this guy? the same guy that thought running a 360 into a concrete wall and vandalizing his own car for no reason was worth bragging about / broadcasting onto the interwebs?

I'm sorry but his opinion is worth as much as the pile of poop that just exited my dog.

I own an MP4 & a Scud, and drove the 458 plenty of times. There is a definite visceral sensation that you will not get from the MP4. It is a brilliant piece of engineering, but if you're looking for that raw race-inspired passion you're going to be disappointed and arguably equally so with a 458 as well. That is why a lot of fcar owners, including myself, have an overwhelming soft spot for the Scuderia, Challenge Stradale, F40 etc...may not be the fastest or most efficient cars but hot damn, I guarantee an endless smile the minute you put your foot down on the pedal and fling it into a turn.

The Ferrari 458 is built exceptionally well and Ferrari has definitely improved the quality of the carbon and interior, so the only reason I can think of why his crap is falling apart is probably because he rents out his cars to strangers, and as you may understand most renters, more likely than not, treat rentals like shit duh.

I want to also add that there is a slight lag on power delivery in the MP4, which is expected because well it's a turbo. The shifting is also something that takes getting used to because it's basically a single piece (imagine a see-saw) behind the wheel...and trust me, downshifting by pushing down is full-on rahtard, and I have mis-shifted more than a handful of times at the track, esp under heavy braking so what he said about it being great is greatly uneducated and naive. The shift also has a "ready" position which it tries to anticipate your next shift which again, takes a lot of getting used to...I personally hate it when I don't feel in complete control of the car or the computers are taking over, so that sort of stuff doesn't make me smile and oh by the way, on heavy braking that stupid air brake flies up and you won't be able to see shit in your rear view...perfect opportunity for folks to overtake you =)

It is a brilliantly engineered and fast piece of machinery though, that is far less conspicuous than a Ferrari or any other comparable supercar. Reliable so far and no issue; I've only clocked 3k miles. I might also add it's already taking a huge depreciation hit at today's pricing, like ridiculous hit lol and definitely isn't holding value like the 458 or my scud or even a cs.

Last edited by alwin; 12-20-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Mclaren MP4-12C vs 458 comparison