Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

If you had a shot at an F1

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Teamspeed Rookie
Sportswizz is on a distinguished roadSportswizz is on a distinguished roadSportswizz is on a distinguished roadSportswizz is on a distinguished roadSportswizz is on a distinguished road
Tough crowd. I'll be sure to post a few pictures if I can ever get my hands on one.

How much was the last recorded sale for one?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:04 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by speedsters
Peloton,

Out of curiosity, how have you gathered the wealth of info? Surely all of it isn't things you have read online and your insight into each chassis is extremely impressive unless you have access to internal documentation.
Patience, time and dedication to the cause. I'd call it hard work, but really it has been quite enjoyable.

There's also a handful of other people around the world who share this keen interest in the F1 and we regularly communicate on another forum. Without that interaction I wouldn't be half as far along on this journey. Over the years we've made contact with owners, brokers, factory workers, and countless numbers of people who come in contact with the cars.

I don't know what the exact count is between us, but I have personally seen 32 of the 106 cars produced so far. I'd bet if we pooled our numbers it's probably close to 3/4ths of all the F1s that were built. Firsthand accounts are most valuable, but it is also possible to piece together secondhand info and come to a valid conclusion. The internet is a powerful tool and information (especially photographs) shared in countless places have helped to shape the data to the point we're at today.

That said, I consider most things rumor initially - typically requiring two independent and trusted sources before I'd call anything fact. The number of 'stories' I've heard over the years that have never materialized into something real have caused us to be very cautious when reviewing things.

I don't like the word 'expert' as to me that means you know everything, and I don't. But I know enough to know the things I don't know which also helps in putting the pieces together if that makes any sense.

>8^)
ER

Old 10-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Teamspeed Member
hurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond reputehurstg01 has a reputation beyond repute
We've gotten it wrong a few times [#039 & #029's colouring, #49 actually being #046 etc] but like Erik states, we try to get as much info validated before it gets made public. Sometimes newer info comes to light that enables us to both learn and then correct the info we originally demmed accurate. We both, and others as he rightly touches on in his post above, have a few good contacts throughout all things Mclaren and more, [him more so than me] so pooling resources has made this 'other' forum what we believe to be the best resource on all things Mclaren F1 around.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:36 PM
McLaren Fanatic
Peloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond reputePeloton25 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ordered Analogue
Sorry to go off thread, I wanted to ask if you know how many we have here in the UAE,

I recall seeing a Silver/Grey one on Dubai plates a few years back, and a Red one on Abu Dhabi plates a couple of months ago. They could be the same one and possibly changed hands, or there could be 2, I have no idea.

Thanks for the wealth of information

+Rep
Where did you see these? In person or on the internet somewhere? Silver on Dubai plates raises a question. If you said Bahrain plates I'd know the car you speak of.

The only red car I have seen on Abu Dhabi plates was Mr Bean's car from the Top Gear episode where they raced a Veyron. He allowed them to borrow his car and some sort of temporary registration was placed on it in the process.

Name:  25393_670x377Image9_122_504lo.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  51.9 KB

If you saw an actual red f1 in person on Abu Dhabi plates in the past few months then a car must have changed hands for that to be the case, or you finally located #004 which would be amazing news.

At last count a total of four cars reside in the Middle East including one GTR which is a bit surprising - you'd think there would be more than that given the number of amazing car collections over there.

Originally Posted by Sportswizz
How much was the last recorded sale for one?
The last public sale of an F1 road car happened in August 2010 at the Gooding Auction in Monterey, CA. They sold chassis #062 for $3.575M including premium.

The last public sale of a GTR was this August in Monterey where #28R went across the block at Bonhams and failed to sell after bidding reached $3.3M. They claimed they later sold the car in a post-auction deal for around $3.8M. This was a longtail GTR with no hope for conversion for road use and there were other factors as well which might have reduced its appeal to many buyers.

The values of GTRs of any variety have never tracked true with F1 road car prices - a bit counter-intuitive as they are generally considered to be worth less, which is backwards of other high valued cars where racing history adds to the value of the car. Most people looking for an F1 seem to want the full experience with a comfortable interior and all three seats and enough sound-deadening to allow driver and passengers to converse without headsets. Others consider the full experience to be exactly the opposite, and a few people actually own both a road car and a GTR which is probably the smart thing to do.

Most transactions with these cars occur under the table making it difficult to keep track of prices and it can be a very complicated process as a buyer or a seller.

>8^)
ER

Last edited by Peloton25; 10-20-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ordered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond reputeOrdered Analogue has a reputation beyond repute
I saw the Silver/Grey one when I was in high school, about 5~6 years back in Dubai, at that time it was on Dubai plates. Only time I ever saw it, was driving down the Beach Road.

I spotted the Red one in Abu Dhabi in January on the back of a truck, but it was definitely on the new style Abu Dhabi plates ( Different from the one in the picture you provided ). I may have a picture of it on my old Blackberry, let me find it and if I do ill definitely post it up.

It was a much ' Redder Red ' than the maroon, kind of like the Melbourne Red that comes on BMW's.

Old 10-20-2012, 03:40 PM
McLaren Fanatic
You might just have something with that red car then. I hope you do find the photo.

>8^)
ER

Old 10-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Eccentric M is a jewel in the roughEccentric M is a jewel in the roughEccentric M is a jewel in the roughEccentric M is a jewel in the roughEccentric M is a jewel in the roughEccentric M is a jewel in the roughEccentric M is a jewel in the roughEccentric M is a jewel in the roughEccentric M is a jewel in the roughEccentric M is a jewel in the roughEccentric M is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Ordered Analogue
I may have a picture of it on my old Blackberry, let me find it and if I do ill definitely post it up.
Please do!

Old 10-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Teamspeed Pro
HarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyMushman has a reputation beyond repute
It kinda sucks we didn't give this a little time to play out. We all realize the odds are slim, but if the guy is full of BS it would show in time anyway. Maybe shoot the guy a sincere PM, like I did, before calling him out. What do you have to lose? Internet pride lol

This same situation happens every time a new member comes to the table with something rather extraordinary. Whether it is a Patek collection, someone quietly posting a double tourbillon, or an enthusiast seeking advice on a potentially historical purchase, it seems like the BS accusers come roaring in to tear them a new one. We lose a lot of potentially interesting members because people who are the real deal have zero interest in this non-sense. The guys who have nothing to prove come here for enjoyment and to share interests.

It makes us all look like a bunch of insecure nerds.

Let's face it- no matter how much we may know, or how many times we have reluctantly been let behind the ropes at a car show we are all spectators in the world of the McLaren F1. This site can quickly be reduced to the land of wannabe ballers and 16 yo kids posting on how to get rich and buy a Lambo. Look around.

Long live TS.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
In for pics of the red f1. Hope it solves a mystery!

Old 10-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Teamspeed Pro
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i call BS. the red one is in my garage collecting dust now.