Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

This is the New McLaren P1 Supercar

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Teamspeed Member
AeolusDawnWalker is on a distinguished roadAeolusDawnWalker is on a distinguished roadAeolusDawnWalker is on a distinguished roadAeolusDawnWalker is on a distinguished roadAeolusDawnWalker is on a distinguished road
P1 Prototype looking awesome in Bahrain.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Teamspeed Pro
quickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond reputequickZohsix has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AeolusDawnWalker
P1 Prototype looking awesome in Bahrain.

Looks right at home there! bad ass

Eric,
What will become of this car when its all said and done? Will Mclaren keep it or will it make it into a private collection to be talked about in years to come? Could it even be registered?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 PM
Teamspeed Member
AeolusDawnWalker is on a distinguished roadAeolusDawnWalker is on a distinguished roadAeolusDawnWalker is on a distinguished roadAeolusDawnWalker is on a distinguished roadAeolusDawnWalker is on a distinguished road
When all is said and done and this particular P1 Prototype has completed its' rounds to potential clients and markets around the world, there's a very good chance that McLaren will remove the blocking pieces and convert it back into a production-spec runner, maybe even road-legalized. This wouldn't be hard to do, as this car is already 97% final production spec.

What happens after that is another question. It might be sold on to a client who appreciates this particular P1's history and provenance.

Or, it might be used by McLaren to contest and set some kind of new performance record, probably a Nurburgring lap. If it manages to set a significant enough record and benchmark, McLaren may decide that it's too important and vital to their own history and provenance to sell it, or its' value may skyrocket to the point where people might not be willing to pay that much for it.

Unlike the F1's case where McLaren only built 5 XP Prototypes however (with 2 of them ending up destroyed, one by accident and the other by necessity), they've certainly built enough P1 XPs by now that any one of them could be tasked with that role and mantle. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by AeolusDawnWalker; 02-03-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 AM
Teamspeed Junior Member
ele-ene-ene is on a distinguished roadele-ene-ene is on a distinguished roadele-ene-ene is on a distinguished road

Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Teamspeed Member
Good eye, ele-ene-ene! Maybe an extendable dive plane canard?

Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 AM
Teamspeed Member

That is AWESOME stuff.... I was literally rendered speechless when I watched it.

I LOVE the shift lights, and the graphic shown when the wing deploys and configurations are switched from Road to Sport / Sport to Race / Road to Race.

And, and, a 9, NINE speed gearbox!

That hardcore engine note is pretty mind-blowing too.

Amazing stuff!

The sneaky folks faded it out just before it got to 100Km/h though, so can't time that... But at least we know 1st gear will get it to around 84Km/h. And judging by my iPhone's timer, that was 0-84Km/h in 1.7 seconds.... Which means we're potentially looking at a low 2 second or 2 second flat 0-100Km/h time..

Old 02-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Teamspeed Member

Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM
Teamspeed Senior Member
Ecnelis has a spectacular aura aboutEcnelis has a spectacular aura aboutEcnelis has a spectacular aura aboutEcnelis has a spectacular aura aboutEcnelis has a spectacular aura aboutEcnelis has a spectacular aura aboutEcnelis has a spectacular aura aboutEcnelis has a spectacular aura aboutEcnelis has a spectacular aura aboutEcnelis has a spectacular aura aboutEcnelis has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AeolusDawnWalker
And, and, a 9, NINE speed gearbox!
I think it's RPM indicator, not gears...

Last edited by Ecnelis; 02-06-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 AM
Teamspeed Member
How you know your video is awesome: When it blows someone away so much that they make mistakes they don't normally make. I think that's a 9000RPM redline, not 9 gears.

PS: thanks for the tip AutoGen

Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 AM
Teamspeed Member
Actually, I think the 1.7 was a mistake, my hand was a little shaky from the shockwave-like sounds of P1 revving. After a few more repeated timings, the most precise I got was 2.1 seconds 0-84Km/h, so figure on a sub-2.5 second run to 100Km/h.

Quick Reply: This is the New McLaren P1 Supercar