Notices
McLaren McLaren MP4-12C, F1, & More Discussion Forum.

AUTOCAR: McLaren 'aims for Porsche owners'

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM
DJ
Teamspeed Pro
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
Post AUTOCAR: McLaren 'aims for Porsche owners'

"McLaren is targeting Porsche owners with its new MP4-12C supercar, according to the head of the firm’s North American division. Most of the potential customers of the McLaren MP4-12C are currently Porsche owners, rather than Ferrari owners, claims Anthony Joseph.

He believes that while Maranello relies to a certain extent on image and visual flair, McLaren and Porsche subscribe to a more focused school of thinking based around “substance over style”.

Joseph also claims that 2700 parties had declared an interest in the MP4-12C before its most recent public appearance at Pebble Beach in August. And although money has yet to changes hands, McLaren would only require just over a third of those interested to complete MP4-12C orders in order to achieve its planned sales of target of 1000 units in the first year of production.

Joseph added that McLaren is aiming to introduce one new model or variant of an existing model per year between now and 2015, which it says will take it to its annual production target of 4500 units. The MP4-12C will go on sale in the early part of 2011, with a price tag of around £150k."

Source [Autocar]

Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Teamspeed Junior Member
MattFalcon is on a distinguished roadMattFalcon is on a distinguished road
I wonder if they are doing a little damage control after seeing the new Ferrari 458? Who can argue that the 458 is also function over style? Every element of the Ferrari has been similarly designed to elevate performance and driver involvement.

But maybe that's fair. Because the McLaren is certainly a lot cheaper than the 458!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Teamspeed Member
kumarankarth is an unknown quantity at this point
this is certainly one interesting roadcar that has some potential for greatness. No doubt its goin to be cheaper than the 458. cant wait to see up close in person...

Old 09-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Teamspeed Pro
joshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond reputejoshg120 has a reputation beyond repute
i feel like if you can afford a 210~ish thousand dollar car, you can probably afford a 260k ferrari 458 and at this point i would easily take the 458, but i'll wait for further reviews and testing of the mclaren for a final verdict

Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Overtaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond reputeOvertaker has a reputation beyond repute
Didn't McLaren say that another (non F1 successor) model will be released? I bet it will more directly compete with the 911. Maybe priced near the GT3.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Teamspeed Pro
MexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond reputeMexicoBlue has a reputation beyond repute
I'm guessing the average MP4-12C price will come in close to the 458 price. Their options list in their configurator is ridiculous!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Teamspeed Pro
Alzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond reputeAlzilla has a reputation beyond repute
As long as it doesn't catch fire as easily as the F-car, they'll do fine selling these.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Teamspeed Pro
subgraphic has a reputation beyond reputesubgraphic has a reputation beyond reputesubgraphic has a reputation beyond reputesubgraphic has a reputation beyond reputesubgraphic has a reputation beyond reputesubgraphic has a reputation beyond reputesubgraphic has a reputation beyond reputesubgraphic has a reputation beyond reputesubgraphic has a reputation beyond reputesubgraphic has a reputation beyond reputesubgraphic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MattFalcon
I wonder if they are doing a little damage control after seeing the new Ferrari 458? Who can argue that the 458 is also function over style? Every element of the Ferrari has been similarly designed to elevate performance and driver involvement.

But maybe that's fair. Because the McLaren is certainly a lot cheaper than the 458!
That was the first thing I thought. I remember seeing the leaked styling mock up from CAR mag and being EXTREMELY disappointed. I still am

Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Teamspeed Rookie
Sweet Adrenaline 13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have never driven a Ferrari (although I would love to), but I am unsure why there is a need to compare the McLaren to a Ferrari otherthan the fact they are both Supercars...The McLaren, I feel is more refined and unique, which only adds to its allure...I like that...I like that when driving a McLaren, one can feel that they are not like too many other people on the road...this car is 100% McLaren, which is and has been an exceptional name in the automotive world...

Ferrari's are beautiful, but McLaren is unique by far IMHO.